Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times

Advertisements

My thumb is killing me! This has been happening on and off for a few years. It comes and goes, but when it's there its very painful and nothing seems to help. I went to a doctor a while ago when it was perisistent and was told it was tendonitis. From what?? My mom also has it in this same area.

I have no tingling in my hand or fingers, but could it be carpal tunnel? I spend a lot of time on the computer and my mother worked on a computer for years. What can I do, are there any meds or hand braces that will help. I don't need cortizone shots or anything like that, just some simple cure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Tendonitis can be caused by the same things that cause CTS; i.e. using a computer. It sounds like your doctor is right, because most cases of CTS have numness and tingling at least in the fingertips (and I had surgery on both my wrists for CTS). Tingling is not usually a sign of tendonitis.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
You might try a daily B-100 Complex pill -- it helped my husband's CTS clear up--when he stops taking it, it flares up again. Take it in the morning as B-100 can be stimulating and keeps some people awake at night.

This is from a website about CTS:

B-complex vitamin, 1 tablet daily, for symptoms of carpal tunnel. Some studies suggest low levels of riboflavin in the blood is associated with carpal tunnel syndrome and other inflammatory diseases.

Notice that B vitamins are recommended for other --"itis" conditions, too--i.e., inflammation such as tendonitis.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:25 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Or just take B1 and B6 will help a great deal.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:38 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
WOW! The world DOES know about B6! For decades I've had a condition called DeQuervains's Disease -- similar to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome but in a slightly different location on the wrist. Conventional medical treatment is horrifically painful.

Many years ago a colleague in the office showed me an article from, of all things, the National Enquirer, about how B6 cures CTS symptoms and eliminates the pain (which means it prevents the swelling of the tendon).

I've taken Nature Made B6 100mg per day for years and years, unless I'm flush with money when I take TwinLabs B6 which is pharmaceutically pure. With the latter I feel more righteous, but both have completely eliminated all symptons for decades!

Old 04-11-2008, 04:41 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
WOW! The world DOES know about B6! For decades I've had a condition called DeQuervains's Disease -- similar to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome but in a slightly different location on the wrist. Conventional medical treatment is horrifically painful.

Many years ago a colleague in the office showed me an article from, of all things, the National Enquirer, about how B6 cures CTS symptoms and eliminates the pain (which means it prevents the swelling of the tendon).

I've taken Nature Made B6 100mg per day for years and years, unless I'm flush with money when I take TwinLabs B6 which is pharmaceutically pure. With the latter I feel more righteous, but both have completely eliminated all symptons for decades!
Yes, some in the world know about B6. The FDA recommends 2 mg per day which is a ridiculously low amount.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Or just take B1 and B6 will help a great deal.

Just started doing that for Carpal..how long before it kicks in?

The surgery...do they use a local or put you out?? If they put you out I'll never get it done

Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just started doing that for Carpal..how long before it kicks in?

The surgery...do they use a local or put you out?? If they put you out I'll never get it done
Carpal Tunnel surgery is typically done under a local block with some sedation.
Your hand and arm go to sleep, you don't have to.....

Old 07-13-2009, 08:48 PM

213 posts, read 770,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Carpal Tunnel surgery is typically done under a local block with some sedation.
Your hand and arm go to sleep, you don't have to.....
Depends on the dr, I've had bilateral carpal tunnel release - one was endoscopic procedure where the doctor used "twilight sedation" and the other was regular incision/procedure where the doctor used general anesthesia. I was nervous about the general but I actually recovered much quicker from the effects of general than I did from the "twilight".
To OP, I don't think it's carpal if you don't have tingling. There is something called "trigger finger", my thumb just developed that recently, which is basically tendonitis, your finger/thumb will lock up. A cortisone shot worked wonders, despite my hesitation at getting it.
As another poster mentioned, there is also DeQuervains', I recall my dr gave me a brochure on it, in relation to the side of my wrist sometimes being sore/swollen.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 PM

42 posts, read 103,978 times
Last winter after getting a new laptop , I was on that thing for hours on end.While using it at my kitchen desk and resting my left elbow on the desk top I noticed that my left hand was starting to go numb. It was the ulnar nerve that I compresssed in the elbow. Now the two fingers and half my hand is damaged to the point of needing surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness