Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 05:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,512,757 times

Advertisements

I used Adderall (generic, instant release, 2x20mg daily) for approximately nine years, and then gave it up when I moved to a new state about a year ago. We have a severe shortage of providers in my new state and I just never got around to getting a new script. I decided to quit taking it. At no time did I experience noticeable withdrawal symptoms, but ever since I stopped I have the feeling I'm no longer the best I can be.

So why am I asking strangers on the internet? It's simple. I know the doctor will tell me it's perfectly safe, and I do tend towards that opinion myself. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there who are anti-drug on principle and will tell me that no amount is safe to use.

Another way I might put this is: Is there hysteria about the therapeutic use of stimulants, and if so is it in any way justified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 12:18 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I used Adderall (generic, instant release, 2x20mg daily) for approximately nine years, and then gave it up when I moved to a new state about a year ago. We have a severe shortage of providers in my new state and I just never got around to getting a new script. I decided to quit taking it. At no time did I experience noticeable withdrawal symptoms, but ever since I stopped I have the feeling I'm no longer the best I can be.

So why am I asking strangers on the internet? It's simple. I know the doctor will tell me it's perfectly safe, and I do tend towards that opinion myself. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there who are anti-drug on principle and will tell me that no amount is safe to use.

Another way I might put this is: Is there hysteria about the therapeutic use of stimulants, and if so is it in any way justified?
The only one who can decide whether it is "justified" is you. Do you think the benefits are worth it, knowing that you personally apparently had no complications from using it?

Old 09-08-2019, 11:33 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Like Suzy correctly points out, it's always a matter of risk vs benefit.

Taking amphetamines chronically can increase rates of hi BP, CAD, including arrhythmias & sudden death (does it cause it or just aggravate an underlying condition?) and stroke. It may actually cause cardiac valve disease or cardiomyopathy.

How much does it help you, and is there another way to achieve that end?

Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: Anyone can google Adderall alternatives and get plenty of info.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:09 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Anyone can google Adderall alternatives and get plenty of info.

https://addictionresource.com/drugs/.../alternatives/

Quote:
It is important to note that while these substitutes are all available without a prescription, it does not mean that these alternatives do not cause negative effects or interact dangerously with other drugs. Also, if concerned with how long does Adderall last, be aware that these substitutes do not last as long. Speak with a doctor before taking any Adderall alternatives or stopping the use of it.

These products are mostly crap

Adderall isn't perfect, and I believe that it is way over used, but dangerous????? Probably not, other than the fact that without being monitored there is a high potential for abuse. Misuse can lead to serious adverse effects.

There are millions of doses being used today and most of the patients are highly monitored.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Amphetamines rewire the brain. But, then again, so do lots of other things.

But speed has a lot of down sides including a very basic one. We are programmed for only so many cycles of everything. Speed them up too much and you likely expire sooner (or some organ does).

That's very quick and dirty.......

They say (experts) speed is the best drug mankind ever created. Give pure speed to most humans (or even other primates) and they will enjoy it.

I guess I'd say it this way. I would only take micro-doses as part of a "stack" if I was into that ant-aging thing and nootropics (I am a little..but very little).

That type of effect is available with many legal substances...or at least mixtures of some.

Why not use the real word - Speed. Methedrine (or similar analogue)? So, if people are saying some brand name meant to hide what it really is - is safe, why not just legalize speed? We could buy it at the dispensary with our THC and get it all done with one.

Is this yet another mistake our Government has made? I'd love to feel better and have more energy and alertness.
Bring it on....

Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Amphetamines rewire the brain. But, then again, so do lots of other things.

But speed has a lot of down sides including a very basic one. We are programmed for only so many cycles of everything. Speed them up too much and you likely expire sooner (or some organ does).

That's very quick and dirty.......

They say (experts) speed is the best drug mankind ever created. Give pure speed to most humans (or even other primates) and they will enjoy it.

I guess I'd say it this way. I would only take micro-doses as part of a "stack" if I was into that ant-aging thing and nootropics (I am a little..but very little).

That type of effect is available with many legal substances...or at least mixtures of some.

Why not use the real word - Speed. Methedrine (or similar analogue)? So, if people are saying some brand name meant to hide what it really is - is safe, why not just legalize speed? We could buy it at the dispensary with our THC and get it all done with one.

Is this yet another mistake our Government has made? I'd love to feel better and have more energy and alertness.
Bring it on....

What??????????

Old 09-14-2019, 12:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Quote:

Well, they're all "speed", aren't they--amphetamine, meth, methyline, benzedrine, etc.?

OTOH it's my understanding that when these drugs are abused for kicks , the dosage is usually much, much higher.

Some say certain strains of marijuana work well for as Adderall substitute, but for me pesonally it does not.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:20 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Long term use of just about any stimulant can cause permanent changes to the brain.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Long term use of just about any stimulant can cause permanent changes to the brain.

Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness