Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:24 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

It must have been about six years ago that my doctor at that time suddenly came out and told me I had GERD. Strangely enough, a couple of weeks later, my ENT also told me I had GERD. I had no symptoms and in both cases I was seeing the dr for something totally unrelated, but all of a sudden I apparently had GERD. I wondered if there was some kind of a racket going on.

They both told me to buy a certain medication but I never did. I don't have acid reflux, and if I did, I'd probably just look at what I was eating that could be causing it. Sometimes if I cheat and eat ice cream with my dairy allergy (not lactose intolerance but the digestive enzyme helps anyway) I do get bloating but I take a digestive enzyme and that takes care of it. And on the label of the digestive enzyme, I can see that it only contains...digestive enzymes, of all things!

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-02-2019 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Many years ago I had GERD, then I dropped 75 pounds and it went away. Now and then I’ll eat something greasy and get heartburn, but a couple of Tums takes care of it. These magic pills for excess acid are messing with some complex bio-machinery. It’s no wonder the side effects of long term use are not as happy as the glitzy commercials.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:36 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
How are gastroenterologists going to get themselves a new boat with an over-the-counter medication? Did I miss something? Most medications are pretty cheap even with insurance. It is not like these medications are cash cows.
I guess I have to explain it for the mentally challenged but once you get esophageal or stomach cancer they are in the zone of cancer treatments and referrals. Thats where the real money is.. never mind if you survive how many follow ups you will have with them for the rest of your life.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:32 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cvs-...224058706.html

IMHO, more evidence that esophageal and stomach cancers -- which have been increasing are NOT caused by anything natural.

It is such a scam... doctors tell you that you have "gerd" -- but you have zero symptoms of it... then they give you these drugs that cause cancer (PPIs also do as well) and gastroenterologists get themselves a new boat.

Disgusting.
Its Zantac only. Don't need to go off the rails on this.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:43 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Really?

https://gut.bmj.com/content/67/1/28

Quote:
Result Among the 63 397 eligible subjects, 153 (0.24%) developed GC during a median follow-up of 7.6 years. PPIs use was associated with an increased GC risk (HR 2.44, 95% CI 1.42 to 4.20), while H2RA was not (HR 0.72, 95% CI 0.48 to 1.07). The risk increased with duration of PPIs use (HR 5.04, 95% CI 1.23 to 20.61; 6.65, 95% CI 1.62 to 27.26 and 8.34, 95% CI 2.02 to 34.41 for ≥1 year, ≥2 years and ≥3 years, respectively). The adjusted absolute risk difference for PPIs versus non-PPIs use was 4.29 excess GC (95% CI 1.25 to 9.54) per 10 000 person-years.

Conclusion Long-term use of PPIs was still associated with an increased GC risk in subjects even after HP eradication therapy.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:11 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Quote:
That is referencing people infected with H. Pylori. most people who take PPIs are not being treated for H. Pylori and jut have run-of-the-mill GERD.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:04 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It must have been about six years ago that my doctor at that time suddenly came out and told me I had GERD. Strangely enough, a couple of weeks later, my ENT also told me I had GERD. I had no symptoms at and in both cases I was seeing the dr for something totally unrelated, but all of a sudden I apparently had GERD. I wondered if there was some kind of a racket going on.
No racket going on. GERD is truly that common. The first symptom I had 2 years ago was dysphagia, so I saw an ENT. He immediately said he suspected GERD and that a huge percentage of his patients who present with difficulty swallowing, in fact, have GERD. He scoped me to see what he could, and then a few months later, the GERD was confirmed via endoscopy performed by a Gastroenterologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is referencing people infected with H. Pylori. most people who take PPIs are not being treated for H. Pylori and jut have run-of-the-mill GERD.
True. Moreover, Zantac is an H2 blocker, not a PPI. Different medications with different mechanisms. And no, it's probably not good to be on a PPI (or an H2 blocker) long term. Ideally, you should be able to control GERD with diet and behavior modification, but for some people, those changes are not sufficient.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:04 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I guess I have to explain it for the mentally challenged but once you get esophageal or stomach cancer they are in the zone of cancer treatments and referrals. Thats where the real money is.. never mind if you survive how many follow ups you will have with them for the rest of your life.
When my hub was treated for tonsil cancer, he saw the ENT a lot until 2010, then it was every 6 months for 2011 and one appointment in 2012.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Nitrosamines are formed in cured meats because nitrite, and sometimes nitrate, are added to these products during processing. Nitrate is reduced to nitrite by the enzyme nitrate reductase, which occurs in a number of bacteria. As discussed earlier, nitrite is converted to nitrosating agents which subsequently react with amines in the meat during processing, storage, and cooking to form nitrosamines.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...e/nitrosamines
If you eat beef you are getting carcinogenic nitrosamines too. Alcohol is also a carcinogen.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:52 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...e/nitrosamines
If you eat beef you are getting carcinogenic nitrosamines too. Alcohol is also a carcinogen.
You can buy nitrite free hotdogs and bacon--they do cost a little more though. I knew someone who claimed that you could eat foods with nitrites as long as you ate something containing vitamin C at the same time. Don't know if that's true though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness