Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,344 times

Advertisements

I am really scared. I have never met anyone that has even had this and it has been 26 years since my last colonoscopy. I took the cologuard test and it came back positive. And my doctor gave me an appointment for the middle of JANUARY !

This seems like a very long wait and my question for all of you is there any suggestions on how I could get seen sooner or is this seem about the best I could do? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 11:03 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeinup View Post
I am really scared. I have never met anyone that has even had this and it has been 26 years since my last colonoscopy. I took the cologuard test and it came back positive. And my doctor gave me an appointment for the middle of JANUARY !

This seems like a very long wait and my question for all of you is there any suggestions on how I could get seen sooner or is this seem about the best I could do? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you
Ask for a referral to another doctor who can schedule you sooner.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:27 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
False positives are common with Cologard. I had one, colonoscopy was fine.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:04 AM

14,946 posts, read 12,143,957 times
The presence of blood( even a little bit) in the stool sample will also give a positive Cologuard result.
The blood might be from hemorrhoids, or some other non-cancerous source anywhere in the GI tract.

So a positive Cologuard result doesn't always mean cancer. But you do have to check out a positive result.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:14 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I just checked the Cologuard Web page and it finds "altered DNA and/or blood in the stool". I didn't realize it picked up both- I thought it was just the DNA. I agree with the others- it's not necessarily panic time. What led to my first colonoscopy was a positive result on a test that looked for blood only, not DNA. I did have am adenoma that would have had a pretty significant chance of turning into cancer in 5-10 years, but it was snipped out and it's gone.

Having said that- what's the hold-up on the colonoscopy? In my area there are plenty of places to get them done and the one I use is a free-standing facility and the doc was recommended by my PCP. I don't think I've ever had to wait that long for an appointment. Can you check with others? I know insurance coverage can be an issue.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:27 AM

439 posts, read 425,527 times
That's a long wait for a colonoscopy. That being said, we have had four friends in the past two months aho have gone through what you are going through. All positives with Cologuard, all negatives with Colonoscopy. They all agree they would not use it again. Good luck and try not to worry too much.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
That's a long wait for a colonoscopy. That being said, we have had four friends in the past two months aho have gone through what you are going through. All positives with Cologuard, all negatives with Colonoscopy. They all agree they would not use it again. Good luck and try not to worry too much.
I like it as an interim- I get colonoscopies every 5 years because of my history and like to do a stool sample test in the middle of that. They've turned out negative so far, but have made me more comfortable about waiting the full 5 years. Colon cancer is nasty and I love prevention. My DDIL's Dad just had 14 inches of his colon removed and since they found a few cancer cells in the margins, he's going to get 6 weeks of radiation followed by 6 weeks of chemo- so chemo will span the Christmas holidays. Not fun. He had no symptoms and I don't know how often he was getting colonoscopies.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:49 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
Don't panic. But I kind of did, too, when my Dr. called with the positive result.

She said, "Now I'm not saying you have cancer, but..."

That was a crummy approach, imho. If she would have said, "There can be many causes for the positive result (bleeding, non-cancerous polyps, hemorrhoids, genetics), but you need to get it checked out..." might have been much better. But once I heard the "C" word, I focused on that!

Docs--don't panic your patients!! Stress is bad....

Anyhow, my colonoscopy went fine. Did find internal hemorrhoids which were asymptomatic--likely the cause of the blood...

Don't panic...I waited a few months for my procedure, too. Its rough, the waiting, but focus on a happy outcome and continue to eat well and exercise...

Old 10-25-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
She said, "Now I'm not saying you have cancer, but..."

That was a crummy approach, imho. If she would have said, "There can be many causes for the positive result (bleeding, non-cancerous polyps, hemorrhoids, genetics), but you need to get it checked out..." might have been much better. But once I heard the "C" word, I focused on that!

Docs--don't panic your patients!! Stress is bad....
Wow. I bet she flunked Bedside Manner 101. Thank heaven for Dr. Google.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is why I work to steer as clear as possible from the docs, they will find something if you let them.
That's the bread and butter of their business and it IS a business, no denying that. It's money first, your health second. No money, no treatment. Same with the insurance and pharma SCAMS.

The other day I went in for an office visit, I needed a prescription for my BP meds. My current insurance has no copay, it's supposed to be a negotiated rate. So I called in ahead of time to ask how much it was for an office visit, private (cash) payment, they told me $120 which i thought was high. Later on when I actually went in, I gave them my card, they ran it through and demanded $150 before I even saw the doctor and she was rude about it to boot. I told her they quoted me 120 for cash. I had not been in several years, I didn't have a need. Anyway, I said cancel the whole thing. I went to my old doctor and paid $60. Moral of the story, they charge more with insurance than without. I know why.

As for the topic, this crappy insurance I have does cover a free colonoscopy 100% and includes the office visit, it's got a 5k deductible. My first and last one was over 5 years ago. They found one polyp, benign. The biopsy was not covered since it is diagnostic, they sent me a bill for $3600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness