Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 03:10 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-rep...gs-2019-11-13/

Quote:
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a new report Wednesday warning that superbugs that resist antibiotics have killed nearly twice as many people as previously thought.

Overuse of antibiotics has led to a terrible problem

Old 11-15-2019, 05:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-rep...gs-2019-11-13/

Overuse of antibiotics has led to a terrible problem

Pharma is trying to drum up support for new antibiotics for C. diff. They aren't needed, and antibiotics are a risk factor for C. diff anyway. Fecal transplants work best.

Stool transplants are now standard of care for recurrent C. difficile infections https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019050916576

What is really needed is FDA approval for transplants as a first line treatment, which won't happen until pharma finds a way to patent poop. Most or all of those dead people might be alive today.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 11-15-2019 at 05:28 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 05:29 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Pharma is trying to drum up support for new antibiotics for C. diff. They aren't needed, and antibiotics are a risk factor for C. diff anyway.
No, they're not.

OVERUSE of antibiotics is a risk factor. That's how I got C diff. The infection was cured with vancomycin, an antibiotic.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, they're not.

OVERUSE of antibiotics is a risk factor. That's how I got C diff. The infection was cured with vancomycin, an antibiotic.
No, not overuse. Antibiotics are a risk factor.

From CDC:

"People on antibiotics are 7 to 10 times more likely to get C. diff while on the drugs and during the month after.

That's because antibiotics affect your microbiome by wiping out bad germs but also the good germs that protect your body against infections.

The effect of antiobiotics can last as long as several months. If you come in contact with C. diff germs during this time, you can get sick."

http://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/risk.html

Old 11-15-2019, 07:06 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
No, not overuse. Antibiotics are a risk factor.

From CDC:

"People on antibiotics are 7 to 10 times more likely to get C. diff while on the drugs and during the month after.

That's because antibiotics affect your microbiome by wiping out bad germs but also the good germs that protect your body against infections.

The effect of antiobiotics can last as long as several months. If you come in contact with C. diff germs during this time, you can get sick."

http://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/risk.html
Why are you arguing the fact that overuse of antibiotics is one of the MAIN reasons for C diff outbreaks???

It is a fact....not an opinion.

There is also no "pharma conspiracy" to drum up support for "new antibiotics"...

Resistant C diff is only ONE of the "superbugs" referenced....and the other drug resistant bacteria and fungi are NOT treatable via FMT.

There have only been a couple of new antibiotics classes in the past few DECADES and the OVERUSE of antibiotics not just in patients but food production has CLEARLY led to the rise of resistant organisms...

By the way if PHARMA doesn't drum up support and develop some NEW antibiotics in the very near future life on this planet as humans have known it since the development of antibiotics will be VERY different

"More than 10 million people a year could die from antibiotic-resistant bacteria, warns a United Nations report."
https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/c...s-they-kill-us

Old 11-15-2019, 07:07 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
This really isn't news. Reports on abuse of antibiotics has been going on for years. I worked in a hospital and heard this all the time.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:20 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
This really isn't news. Reports on abuse of antibiotics has been going on for years. I worked in a hospital and heard this all the time.

Yep. The superbugs will continue getting stronger and more resistant with the current system in place and how things are "treated."

Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, they're not.

Agreed. For many years, my doctor was rather notorious for prescribing antibiotics whenever I wasn’t feeling well. Way back then, I didn’t know any better, so just accepted whatever he prescribed. Antibiotics do have their place and can be a life-saver, but the overprescribing of them for every little ache and pain is what helped lead to these superbugs.

I had the misfortune of getting C. Difficile about four years ago. Ironically though, I don’t think it was antibiotics that led to it; in my case, my doctor decided to put me on a treatment plan for acid reflux with a long-term prescription for a proton pump inhibitor. About six months into taking it, I developed C. diff. (It was only well after I wound up with C. diff that I discovered there is a strong link between extended use of proton pump inhibitors and the development of C. difficile.) Anyway, I was extremely sick for five months, and went through four different rounds of treatments before it was finally under control (a tapered dose of Vancomycin - the hospital’s last resort for me before turning to a fecal implant - worked). I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get clear of it in a relatively short time; many people can be hospitalized and go through tremendous suffering with C. diff, and many have died from it. I’ve also been prone to infections my entire life, so I live in fear of any infection taking hold, because once you’ve had it, for the rest of your life you’re at high risk of a C. diff recurrence if you ever take antibiotics again, with some antibiotics higher risk than others.

There really can be truth to the old adage, “Too much of a good thing...” Thankfully, there is now a lot more awareness about the dangers of overprescribing antibiotics, so we have to learn to be our own advocates whenever taking a trip to the doctor’s office.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Why are you arguing the fact that overuse of antibiotics is one of the MAIN reasons for C diff outbreaks???

It is a fact....not an opinion.
Fact: Taking antibiotics puts one at risk for C. diff because of what they do to the microbiome. Antibiotics are a risk factor and always were. If you disagree with this, take it up with the CDC.

Overuse, or really over-PRESCRIBED antibiotics, led to superbugs.

Quote:
There is also no "pharma conspiracy" to drum up support for "new antibiotics"...
Right, it's not a conspiracy. It's a fight for control. Drug companies are fiercely fighting for control over human excrement (fecal transplants). They have spent hundreds of millions on the fight already. Will drug companies win the poop wars or will hospitals and doctors? If drug companies lose the war, they may have no choice but to go for new antibiotics. Keep the public scared because taxpayer funds will be needed to develop treatments that are less effective than poop.

Quote:
Resistant C diff is only ONE of the "superbugs" referenced....and the other drug resistant bacteria and fungi are NOT treatable via FMT.

There have only been a couple of new antibiotics classes in the past few DECADES and the OVERUSE of antibiotics not just in patients but food production has CLEARLY led to the rise of resistant organisms...

By the way if PHARMA doesn't drum up support and develop some NEW antibiotics in the very near future life on this planet as humans have known it since the development of antibiotics will be VERY different

"More than 10 million people a year could die from antibiotic-resistant bacteria, warns a United Nations report."
https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/c...s-they-kill-us
So you want to see new antibiotics. Where does it end? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Oh, this time they won't be over-prescribed, right? How would that be determined? New antibiotics = new superbugs, never ending cycle. A newer and better treatment has come to town but it's involved in a war right now.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 11-15-2019 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 09:45 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

It is news, the list is growing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.