Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 08:57 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, they're not.

OVERUSE of antibiotics is a risk factor. That's how I got C diff. The infection was cured with vancomycin, an antibiotic.
Antibiotic abuse is a problem, but too many of the militantly misinformed are eager to blame "big pharma" and the entire medical profession --- rather than the ragged fringe of medicine and the temptation of some people to self-medicate, and the mistakes made in doing so.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:08 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
So what exactly is your point???

You previously stated that overuse of antibiotics did not lead to superbugs....now you agree it does

Also, it is really "overuse" of antibiotics that has led to superbugs not just "overprescribing"

"The high volume of antibiotics in food-producing animals contributes to the development of antimicrobial-resistant bacteria, particularly in settings of intensive animal production. In some countries, the total amount of antibiotics used in animals is 4 times larger than the amount used in humans. "
https://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas...rfoodchain/en/

Unless you think cows are taking prescriptions to the drug store it is "overuse" not just "over prescribing"

Next point, this isn't a thread about FMT....C diff isn't the only problem superbug out there and other drug resistant bacteria aren't amenable to treatment via FMT

Do I want to see new antibiotics?? Without them millions will die from relatively innocuous infections every years so yeah.. I guess new classes of antibiotics that work against bacteria that are currently drug resistant would be a pretty good idea.

A newer and better treatment for ALL drug resistant bacteria has NOT come to town
No, I never said that overuse didn't lead to superbugs. That is something you conjured by taking one sentence out of context.

I said that antibiotics are a risk factor for C. diff. The other poster, Fluffythewondercat, said that no, only overusing antibiotics is a risk factor and that overuse was how she got it. Then I provided the statements from the CDC that taking antibiotics, period, is a risk factor for C. diff.

Either you didn't read the article or you have already forgotten poor Maryann's story and how FMT saved her life. Of course C. diff is not the ONLY problem. No one said it is. However, the focus of the article is C. diff because it is a very serious, potentially deadly side effect from taking antibiotics.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:31 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
I had the misfortune of getting C. Difficile about four years ago. Ironically though, I don’t think it was antibiotics that led to it; in my case, my doctor decided to put me on a treatment plan for acid reflux with a long-term prescription for a proton pump inhibitor. About six months into taking it, I developed C. diff. (It was only well after I wound up with C. diff that I discovered there is a strong link between extended use of proton pump inhibitors and the development of C. difficile.) Anyway, I was extremely sick for five months, and went through four different rounds of treatments before it was finally under control (a tapered dose of Vancomycin - the hospital’s last resort for me before turning to a fecal implant - worked). I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get clear of it in a relatively short time; many people can be hospitalized and go through tremendous suffering with C. diff, and many have died from it. I’ve also been prone to infections my entire life, so I live in fear of any infection taking hold, because once you’ve had it, for the rest of your life you’re at high risk of a C. diff recurrence if you ever take antibiotics again, with some antibiotics higher risk than others.
Five months! I'm so sorry that happened to you. I will never forget the day the diarrhea started, then the vomiting. I passed out.

I was on antibiotics and Prilosec when C. diff happened to me. In hindsight it seems so obvious.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:30 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Please educate yourself on the poop wars. Drug companies have raised millions from investors and formed an association to lobby the FDA to regulate poop transplants as a 'drug' instead of as 'organs, tissues and blood products that are transferred from a healthy patient as treatment for another' so that they can control and profit from it.
Well, the product is not really an organ, tissue, or blood product, is it?

Someone will have to prepare it so that it is safe to use and whoever that someone is stands to profit from it. Why is it wrong for a drug company to make a profit? Who do you think should supply it if not a drug company?

"Control" will lie with the folks who prescribe it.

It does need to be regulated, though.

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...-transplants#1

Quote:
No, I never said that overuse didn't lead to superbugs. That is something you conjured by taking one sentence out of context.

I said that antibiotics are a risk factor for C. diff. The other poster, Fluffythewondercat, said that no, only overusing antibiotics is a risk factor and that overuse was how she got it. Then I provided the statements from the CDC that taking antibiotics, period, is a risk factor for C. diff.

Either you didn't read the article or you have already forgotten poor Maryann's story and how FMT saved her life. Of course C. diff is not the ONLY problem. No one said it is. However, the focus of the article is C. diff because it is a very serious, potentially deadly side effect from taking antibiotics.
Not all C. diff infections are antibiotic related. I have had one episode, which was years ago and fortunately easily treated with antibiotics. I had not been on antibiotic before I developed symptoms, however. I have no idea where I picked it up, though the nursing home where my mother lived is a possibility.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:40 AM

17,577 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

There is no grand conspiracy to kill people with flu by withholding antibiotics in order to sell more flu vaccine.

Suzy, Suzy, Suzy, this is 2019, everything is a conspiracy!!!!!

Old 11-16-2019, 10:43 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
No, not overuse. Antibiotics are a risk factor.

From CDC:

"People on antibiotics are 7 to 10 times more likely to get C. diff while on the drugs and during the month after.

That's because antibiotics affect your microbiome by wiping out bad germs but also the good germs that protect your body against infections.

The effect of antiobiotics can last as long as several months. If you come in contact with C. diff germs during this time, you can get sick."

http://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/risk.html
Yeah....I don't know where I got the idea that you said "overuse of antibiotics" isn't a problem

Clearly you never said this

Apparently you didn't read or don't remember the article linked in the OP....

Here is a little reminder from the last paragraph of that article...

"The overuse of antibiotics has helped create these resistant bacteria."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-rep...gs-2019-11-13/

The takeaway message from this article was "overuse of antibiotics has helped create resistant bacteria" (not just overprescribing once again, but overUSE)

You are the only one that made this into referendum about FMT...a "procedure" by the way as Suzy has already pointed out is not being blocked, incentivized or otherwise "managed" by the BIG PHARMA boogeyman

A "procedure" that will not save us all from the growing number of other drug resistant micro organisms....hence the need to highlight judicious and appropriate use of antibiotics and the need to develop new classes of antibiotics and antifungals that are effective against these strains...

Old 11-16-2019, 10:53 AM

17,577 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Here is some more detailed information:

https://www.oann.com/cdc-warns-of-new-superbug-threat/

Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
The CDC is always predicting that something or other is the next big thing that will kill us all.

It's how they stay in business. Before AIDS came along, the CDC was in danger of being shut down. They realized the value of a good virus, and well, here we are today.

Notice that most people call them the "Centers for Disease Control" ie CDC. Control, not prevention. Waiting for them to drop that word from their name. Why aren't they ever called the CDCP? Always found that interesting.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:17 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Antibiotic abuse is a problem, but too many of the militantly misinformed are eager to blame "big pharma" and the entire medical profession --- rather than the ragged fringe of medicine and the temptation of some people to self-medicate, and the mistakes made in doing so.
How can people "self medicate" when abx drugs are prescription medicines and given out by doctors aka pharma.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Suzy, Suzy, Suzy, this is 2019, everything is a conspiracy!!!!!
Define "conspiracy."

If you actually know the true meaning of the word? Everything is a conspiracy. By definition. /shrug/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness