Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the name of the condition some people have that they can't block out certain noises? For example; if someone in the room is tapping their pen on a desk, the person with the condition can't block it out and it sounds really loud to them. I knew the name but forgot and can't find it on the internet. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
Do you mean presbycusis?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 PM

No but thanks. I think it's sensory something, something...

Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,553,095 times
I don't know the word you are looking for, but I have Fibromyalgia Syndrome, and the intolerance to noises is one of the conditions that it causes. My husband snapping his fingers really drives me up the wall, as well as the noises he makes eating. Generally productive noises do not bother me, but unnecessary noises do.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Is hyperacusis the word you're looking for? Sensory overload? ADHD?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,285,154 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Does anyone know the name of the condition some people have that they can't block out certain noises? For example; if someone in the room is tapping their pen on a desk, the person with the condition can't block it out and it sounds really loud to them. I knew the name but forgot and can't find it on the internet. Thank you!
I can't recall the name either, but share the same in this highly irritating disorder
this make be somewhere to start
Sensory dysfunctions
Neurological
Information Processing Disorders

What is Central Auditory Processing?
Hearing is a complex process: as sounds strike the eardrum, the sounds (acoustic signals) are changed into neural signals which are then passed from the ear through complicated neural networks to various parts of the brain for additional analysis, and ultimately, recognition or comprehension.
Central Auditory Processing, then, is the ability of the brain (central nervous system) to process incoming auditory signals. The brain identifies sounds by analyzing the distinguishing physical characteristics: frequency, intensity, and temporal features that we perceive as pitch, loudness, and duration. After analyzing the physical characteristics, the brain constructs an "image" of the signal from the component parts for comparison with stored "images." If a match occurs, we can understand what is being said or recognize sounds with important meanings (sirens, doorbells, crying).

Most people think hearing problems are the ears inability to detect sound, yet not all hearing is done in the ear. In fact, the ear merely brings in and delivers environmental sounds unsupported to the brain stem above the spinal cord. As hearing nerves crisscross up several inches, the sorting out or processing begins. This processing includes:

focusing attention away from other tasks (watching TV, taking test),
separating out and inhibiting "non-speech-like" sounds (sending down neural messages to reduce nerve activity bringing up traffic or dishwasher noise),
locating the voice you want to hear (focusing on teacher, ignoring other children)
conveying speech sounds (not yet words) without distortion to the brain cortex
organizing sounds into words
routing information to other centers of thought, action, sight.

For this there must be enough nerve fibers to share the work and no cell loss from lack of oxygen at birth or failure of embryological development. The nerves must all transmit at normal speed, not slower in spots as when the brain is swollen. The brain must produce proper amounts of chemical neurotransmitters for the nerves to carry their messages.

Central Auditory Processing Disorders (CAD) are deficits in information processing of audible stimuli but without hearing or intelligence deficits. It is the inability to attend to, discriminate, recognize or comprehend what is heard. Auditory processing deficits interfere directly with speech and language as well as all areas of learning, especially reading and spelling. Instruction in schools relies primarily on spoken language, so students with CAD may have serious difficulty. CAD often coexists with other disabilities, including speech and language disorders or delays, learning disabilities, dyslexia, attention deficit disorders, and social and/or emotional problems. CAD are more pronounced when listening to distorted speech, or in poor acoustic environments such as listening in the presence of competing background noise.
Hope this helps to jog your memory
God Bless You

Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,285,154 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Is hyperacusis the word you're looking for? Sensory overload? ADHD?

I think this is it, at least I thought my audiologist mentioned something about this when I was diagnosed with, hypersensitivity hearing

Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 PM

40 posts, read 85,879 times
I would like to know what it's called and what to do about it.

My doctor just says I'm anxious and try to tune the noise out by listening to music with headphones but that seems to magnify the noises.

I work in a cube farm which doesn't help.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:38 PM

I looked up the names everyone mentioned but it's still not what I'm looking for. I really appreciate the help though. Earlier today I emailed someone I know that I believe knows the name. If they ever get back to me, I'll post it.

desertrose - maybe you should see another doctor if that's the type of answer they give. I'm not even sure there is a way to stop the condition I'm referring to. I have it and so does my brother. How I handle it is, I ask the person to stop tapping, clicking or whatever it is they're doing. Or I leave the situation.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:44 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,553,095 times
I have learned to leave the room when my husband makes his annoying noises. Some of them I am hesitant to point out, but I have mentioned the knuckle cracking...to no avail.

I hope you can learn to cope with your discomfort. I work on mine constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness