Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 01:40 PM

23,460 posts, read 19,110,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
OMG Parnassia, what an absolute nightmare! Right out of the blue, last thing you ever expected or could be warned about, or be prepared for. And happening right after a move to a new area where you know so few people!

Clotting disorder, perhaps something like Factor V Leiden, protein C or S deficiency? Long shot but these are associated with
thrombotic events, often DVTs though the clots could happen anywhere. Some sort of mishap resulting in a little damage to the endothelial lining of an artery, vein somewhere and the clot ended up in a coronary artery? Just speculation, and finding out what happened could lead to steps to prevention, management, or maybe reassurance it's unlikely to happen again, so I hope they can figure it out.

In the meantime, I'd bet some preparation for the hopefully very unlikely chance something like this happens again. The anticoagulant (which, if I were a betting person, I'd bet you will be taking till the cows come home), your cell phone charger handy at all times, programmed with contacts who can be reached quickly and potential arrangements made for pets, plants and whatever else needs care, and toss out the underwear with the holes so you don't chance wearing them in the event of a visit by the paramedics or a visit to the ER.

If you prepare in every way you can possibly think of, there is a corollary of Murphy's law that says this will never happen again.

Best wishes that you stay hale and hearty!!!!
Thanks!

Yes, they are looking at clotting disorders including the ones you listed as well as some others; lupus anticoagulant, antiphospholipid syndrome, Factor II DNA, anticardiolipins. Whatever they find will probably be a "good news - bad news" sort of thing. Good news includes knowing my lifestyle hasn't abused heart or arteries. Hopefully all but the anticoagulant and the nitro will end at some point. So far, very few other than the most common minor side effects. The annoying thing is re-directing everyone who jumps right in making assumptions about why this happened...NO, it wasn't heart disease, lifestyle, blah blah blah. And, no longer able to leave an additional health history form check box blank.

You are completely right about Murphy's Law...the better prepared you are the least likely you will need to be. I am not usually caught quite that unprepared...I've lived in remote places for a very long time, but having cell reception is pretty new. Still forming habits around that; the phone is usually parked right next to the charger, I always charge it before leaving the house but I forget to carry it, there are contacts saved in it but they haven't been local. I always keep a pet care cheat sheet on the fridge in case I get stuck in bad weather somewhere. It was an odd nexus of events because of moving to a new neighborhood the month before. Finally...the incentive to toss the ratty-but-comfy undies/PJs once and for all and splurge on new ones !

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-15-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness