Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 12:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times

Advertisements

^^Interesting story #1. Let me ask, did your physician have an on-call service? Most, especially peds, do. You could have called and he might have instructed you better on what to do.

Story #2 is very scary and the reason why doctors don't like to "assume".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 01:59 PM

7,297 posts, read 5,177,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
When my daughter was about 5, I took her to the ER on a Sunday for a bad stomachache. They diagnosed her with a UTI and sent us home with an antibiotic.... .
Early in my career, I got a call on the weekend from a young lady who complained of burning on urination for several hours. She had had several UTIs in the past and "her old doc always just prescribed ampicillin." I told her I was uncomfortable with treating over the phone and suggested she go to the ER. She wasn't happy about that, but did go. She went into septic shock just after registering there....Had I phoned in the rx and she stayed home, she probably would have died there.

There's a lot to be said for getting the opportunity to actually see the pt: many times the "they just don't look right" feeling surpasses the "tests say you're ok" pitfall.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:51 PM

2,495 posts, read 869,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
...The group that is most likely to rely upon the ER (and overuse it) are the poor and immigrants.
That's not what Katarina Witt's anecdote would seem to suggest when she relates:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree with the premise of this thread. I used to work in a pediatrician's office. Many of our patients would take their kids to the ER when the office was closed, then sometimes call us the next morning to ask if the care was appropriate.
That sounds a lot like insured folks. Speaking of insured folks:

"In contrast to expectations, uninsured patients were less likely to use the ED for less-urgent care."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2795752/

Quote:
Some cities have community health centers which are clinics largely funded by federal money that are designed to serve poor areas.
Any County with a Level 1 Trauma presence is going to have a well populated outpatient clinic on premises.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:11 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is why we need more federal oversight of the health care system.
The federal government got us to this point. I'm not convinced more federal oversight is useful.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
That's not what Katarina Witt's anecdote would seem to suggest when she relates:

That sounds a lot like insured folks. Speaking of insured folks:

"In contrast to expectations, uninsured patients were less likely to use the ED for less-urgent care."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2795752/

Any County with a Level 1 Trauma presence is going to have a well populated outpatient clinic on premises.
Yes, most of our patients were insured.

I also posted some links about ER useage in the uninsured, below:

Quote:
^^I have mixed feelings about your post, mark.

#1. I have not a lot of knowledge about orthopedics. However, medicine is always moving on, and a treatment that was the "gold standard" in 1970 isn't the gold standard today. That may be the reason for the CT rather than a plain X-ray. I worked in a physician's office with 5 doctors and frankly, I do not recall any comments about malpractice or attorneys.

#2. That's more what I was getting at. I honestly don't think doing an EKG is inappropriate in the situation you describe. Just because someone has a history of reflux, it doesn't mean he can't be having a heart attack today. These doctors don't know this patient, or that he's having his typical chest pain, which does beg the question of why he went to the ER in the first place. I doubt the family doc would shake his head over what the doctors did. Family Doc may question why the pt. didn't call his "after hours" number (which is usually the same as the daytime number) and ask for advice before going to the ER.

Despite the urban legend that ER use is dominated by the uninsured, that has turned out not to be true.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5754025/
In plainer English: https://www.vox.com/health-care/2017...y-room-voxcare

So your "solution" is not a solution at all.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:10 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,121,844 times
Quote:
I agree with the premise of this thread. I used to work in a pediatrician's office. Many of our patients would take their kids to the ER when the office was closed, then sometimes call us the next morning to ask if the care was appropriate. They did not seem to want to utilize the on-call system that was set up. Patient only needed to call the office # 24/7. When the office was closed, calls got routed to the answering service. Doctor would call patient back. Granted, sometimes the advice was then to go to the ER, but other times such a visit was not necessary and home care advice was given. My point is that patients should utilize their office's on-call system first, instead of going to the ER or even Urgent Care unnecessarily.
Hands down; pediatricians have the best after-hours triage services I have ever seen. And definitely under-utilized.

I had some advantage with my kids' pediatrician as I had worked with him before in the hospital & I have now known him for almost 34 years. There were times when he WOULD just call in a script for me & I would follow-up with him the next day.

Even if my mind was made up & I was going to the ER at 2 am with a kid; I called first to let them know & my judgement was always supported.

I have also worked in the ER at my hospital of choice (which happens to be the busiest ER in the state) & I have never felt that unnecessary care or tests were ordered. We did have a lot of uninsured patients come through because we were a city-owned hospital but our admit support people were very resourceful. Many times a patient would come through the door uninsured but leave having qualified for Medicaid or an Indigent Care program.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:18 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,121,844 times
Quote:
2. A patient who is 45 years old comes to the hospital complaining of chest pain. A careful history reveals that the patient is susceptible to heartburn and reflux. Further, the patient has been taking an antibiotic that does cause stomach upset. No shortness of breath is observed. Yet, an EKG is ordered and performed. The patient is observed for several hours before being allowed to go home. The patient's family doctor just shakes his head when he hears all this. He tells the patient that chest pain is actually fairly common and tells him never to go to the ER again unless his symptoms are worse.

Honestly, the old cliche about "taking two aspirin" and calling your doctor in the morning makes a lot of sense.
I also worked in the cath-lab at our city owned hospital. I think people would be surprised at how many 40-somethings came through the ER doors with symptoms of gastroenteritis & wound up having an emergency angioplasty.

So. Many. Times. I have taken care of people who were gobsmacked by the fact that if they had gone to bed; they would have been dead by the morning.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:27 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,738,514 times
Quote:
^^Interesting story #1. Let me ask, did your physician have an on-call service? Most, especially peds, do. You could have called and he might have instructed you better on what to do.

Story #2 is very scary and the reason why doctors don't like to "assume".
The pediatrician did have an on-call service and I usually used it. In fact, one of the doctors would go to the office for a few hours on the weekend days to see sick kids. I don't remember why we ended up at the ER that day instead of at the dr's office; it was a long time ago. I do remember being instructed to head directly to the ER when the same kid had a reaction to shellfish (turns out she's allergic) and once in the evening when my son was suspected of having testicular torsion (turned out he didn't, thankfully). Even when my daughter sliced her forehead open as a toddler, they took her in the office (said to head to ER if I couldn't get the blood to slow in 5 minutes, otherwise, head to them) and also on a weekend when my infant son had hand-foot-mouth virus and had a high fever. I wish all doctors were like that practice!

Old 12-26-2019, 08:04 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, ER should be for true emergency. For instance, I had leg swelling and pain back in August which I thought was sports injury. When it got much worse I went first to urgent care; who promptly referred me to ER for blood clot, and they took me in right away.

There are a lot more urgent care places opening up, and while in my case I should have gone straight to ER, many people can be seen and treated by the urgent care clinic.
I think a lot of people use the ER because they cannot refuse to treat anybody despite whether or not they can pay. I don't believe it is the same with Urgent Care.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:10 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,346,738 times
[quote=markg91359;56928108]

2. A patient who is 45 years old comes to the hospital complaining of chest pain. A careful history reveals that the patient is susceptible to heartburn and reflux. Further, the patient has been taking an antibiotic that does cause stomach upset. No shortness of breath is observed. Yet, an EKG is ordered and performed. The patient is observed for several hours before being allowed to go home. The patient's family doctor just shakes his head when he hears all this. He tells the patient that chest pain is actually fairly common and tells him never to go to the ER again unless his symptoms are worse.QUOTE]

The reason for the bolded is because of lawsuits. The hospital wants to cover their butts in the unlikely event the chest pain was actually a cardiac event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness