Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 08:14 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times

Advertisements

Every year, usually starting in November, I have what docs are calling seasonal allergic asthma of unknown cause. This year I’ve been really good about taking my Benadryl so no lung problems. However, for the past two months, my sinuses have been really painful when bending or stooping. I visited the doc about 3 weeks ago and she thought it likely I had a sinus infection so I was on a course of antibiotics for 10 days. In addition to Benadryl, I also take Sudafed, and Singulair. I’ve also been using Flonase twice a day for the past two weeks. Nothing seems to be helping. I’m going to the doc again tomorrow for an x-ray.

My question though is, has anyone here discovered a solution for themselves for stubborn sinus pain, that actually worked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 11:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
If it's allergies, try Nasalcrom.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Every year, usually starting in November, I have what docs are calling seasonal allergic asthma of unknown cause. This year I’ve been really good about taking my Benadryl so no lung problems. However, for the past two months, my sinuses have been really painful when bending or stooping. I visited the doc about 3 weeks ago and she thought it likely I had a sinus infection so I was on a course of antibiotics for 10 days. In addition to Benadryl, I also take Sudafed, and Singulair. I’ve also been using Flonase twice a day for the past two weeks. Nothing seems to be helping. I’m going to the doc again tomorrow for an x-ray.

My question though is, has anyone here discovered a solution for themselves for stubborn sinus pain, that actually worked?
I am on an extreme plan as well. I take Allegra in the evening, Zyrtec in the morning, Flonase at night and also use Patanase nasal spray as needed up to twice daily. When the postnasal drip gets really bad (but I am not super duper congested), I try to use sinus rinse. Otherwise, I try to use saline spray. They have different types that are supposed to help with moistening the nasal passages. Once you get into using more than just the Flonase, your nose can get really bloody/irritated. Sudafed can cause rebound congestion if used too often, so I would avoid using that more than just occasionally. Sometimes, it is just unbearable and there is no choice, but I try to stick to no more than one small red tablet a day- like this morning I just felt miserable.

Another thing I do that I find to be helpful is drink a lot of hot tea. I try to have one after dinner and one after I wake up. There are a lot of types that will help inflammation, like ginger.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:33 PM

So, doc put me on fairly strong prednisone regimen. They also want x-ray and CT scan of my sinuses; earliest appointment I could get for that is 26th, so I should see then if there’s something other than allergies going on.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:19 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
Not much to contribute on this topic, but I hope you both get better

Old 12-22-2019, 02:57 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
Do you recall any time where you may have broken your nose? I had sinus infection after sinus infection one year and it turned out that I had broken my nose months before cold/flu season started and had bone fragments in my sinuses and a deviated septum. Surgery fixed it and now it’s rare thankfully but you may want to look into it.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:34 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Check your BP, some antihistamines can increase your blood-pressure. Sometimes elevated BP can lead to that feeling of fullness in the head while bending over.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
You may need sinus surgery. I had it after having years and years of sinus infections. The dr said there was a lot of scar tissue that needed to be removed. It did help for quite a while.

Now I'm having problems again after moving to a new place--it's some sort of allergy in my case or a reaction to the dry winter air and the heat coming through ductwork, which is very bad for allergies.

The most recent medication from my doctor is Mucinex at a high dose. The regular dose didn't do anything. You could try the 600 mg of Mucinex. It's just guaifenesin, a decongestant that really helps when you are feeling all blocked up.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:20 AM

Thanks all. No broken nose and my x-ray came back with nothing but did say a CT scan might be helpful and more revealing. I’m scheduled for that in a couple days. The extra strong prednisone has done nothing....very aggravating, getting tired of it. I’ve been on a mild dose of meds for lowering blood pressure and it has been well controlled, low side actually, but I haven’t checked it lately. I stopped the Sudafed and cut back on the Benedryl while taking the prednisone.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You may need sinus surgery. I had it after having years and years of sinus infections. The dr said there was a lot of scar tissue that needed to be removed. It did help for quite a while.

Now I'm having problems again after moving to a new place--it's some sort of allergy in my case or a reaction to the dry winter air and the heat coming through ductwork, which is very bad for allergies.

The most recent medication from my doctor is Mucinex at a high dose. The regular dose didn't do anything. You could try the 600 mg of Mucinex. It's just guaifenesin, a decongestant that really helps when you are feeling all blocked up.
What kind of sinus surgery did you have, sounds like actual surgical tissue excision? I heard the ballon sinuplasty is not a long term fix though it can help for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness