Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2020, 07:45 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,213,490 times

Advertisements

i started getting a sore throat 4 days ago. it has been pretty mild. not bothering me much when i eat or drink. slight pain when i swallow. the pain has not been getting worse, nor better.
now the last two days getting more runny nose. not stuffy...its very watery and thin and just drips down my nose liek a faucet. sometimes watery eyes when my nose drips.
No fever so far.
intermittent mild dry cough the past day (i can feel an urge to cough when i take a deep breath).

does this sound like a cold virus? or bacterial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 03:55 AM

14,707 posts, read 14,685,480 times
The only true way to know is to get swabbed at a doctor's office or urgent care to test for influenza. When I caught it a couple years back, I knew it was different due to the fever and the most intense migraine I can remember.
Usually a moderately sore/scratchy throat and nasal congestion is a sign of the common cold. As a health care worker, I can tell you the flu this year is strong (similar to 3-4 years ago) and making people much more sick than normal.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times
Yo would know it was the flu pretty quickly since its hits you like a ton of bricks. Sounds to me like the common cold.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,787,319 times
The rule of thumb I use to diagnose myself is -

If my symptoms are mostly above my shoulders and I can function with the help of some aspirin, it's a rhinovirus.

If my symptoms extend below my shoulders and I can barely roll over in bed, let alone walk to the medicine cabinet, it's influenza.

As Natural says, the only real way to know is to get swabbed.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,213,490 times
My sinuses were congested last night and I barely slept. I could feel pressure between my eyes and under my eyes. Slight headache too. Nose still running, though not stuffed. A hot shower helps and I blow my nose in the shower. Thicker mucus comes out.it is yellowish greenish sometimes with swirls of blood

Tonight my sinuses do feel less pressure, though I do have tear drops every so often.. The cough is getting a little stronger. Sometimes feels like a itch or tickle starting in my throat and have no choice but to force a cough. Deep breathing also forced a cough, it felt like I am inhaling cold air. Throat is less sore

Old 01-04-2020, 08:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
My sinuses were congested last night and I barely slept. I could feel pressure between my eyes and under my eyes. Slight headache too. Nose still running, though not stuffed. A hot shower helps and I blow my nose in the shower. Thicker mucus comes out.it is yellowish greenish sometimes with swirls of blood

Tonight my sinuses do feel less pressure, though I do have tear drops every so often.. The cough is getting a little stronger. Sometimes feels like a itch or tickle starting in my throat and have no choice but to force a cough. Deep breathing also forced a cough, it felt like I am inhaling cold air. Throat is less sore
That is probably a cold. It starts in your nose with congestion and then moves down and you tend to get a cough/postnasal drip. Typically the rule of thumb is that if it doesn’t seem to be getting better after 7-10 days or if it seems to be completely in your chest with a lot of productive coughs after a few days of treatment, you should get it checked out.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:53 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,780,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
i started getting a sore throat 4 days ago. it has been pretty mild. not bothering me much when i eat or drink. slight pain when i swallow. the pain has not been getting worse, nor better.
now the last two days getting more runny nose. not stuffy...its very watery and thin and just drips down my nose liek a faucet. sometimes watery eyes when my nose drips.
No fever so far.
intermittent mild dry cough the past day (i can feel an urge to cough when i take a deep breath).

does this sound like a cold virus? or bacterial.
Sounds like a cold.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:06 PM

17,624 posts, read 13,415,550 times
Maybe this will help

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/s...ow-cold-or-flu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness