Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 04:01 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Interesting theory from the doctor. I just bought a cheap stainless tea kettle, and now I'm thinking I might be drinking nickel in the tea.

From your link:
I have stainless steel cooking pots, skillets, etc. but I don't care for cheap kettles - I use a glass one (purchased on amazon) - I had previously had others but the interiors got "yucky/came off" - NOT going to drink that hot water - it looks kind of like those you see in diners, etc. for coffee but it's a stovetop one, been using it for years and actually have a backup new one in case I should (knock on wood) break it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 04:10 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,542,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
First thing you see when you click the link is "Nonstick Cookware". It's pretty much common knowledge that nonstick teflon pans will leach into your foods when not used properly. Avoid high heat and utensils that can scratch the surface. Stainless steel is perfectly safe. Your doctor is full of baloney or he meant something else other than SS. Quality stainless steel is just that and should contain no nickle. The cheap stuff is another story.
Not true. According to my allergist and looking online, stainless steel can contain up to 25% nickel. In nickel allergies, every molecule counts.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
There have been ideas recently that metals in one's diet and body can contribute to causing Alzheimers or dementia or diminished cognition when older.

It's hard to find multiple vitamins pills that do not contain minerals/metals.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:23 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
So, use well-seasoned cast iron pots, skillets, and tea pots. Yes, they can leach iron into your foods (especially acidic foods), so avoid taking iron supplements.

But then, google can be your friend:

https://madeincookware.com/blogs/bey...-cookware-safe

and:

Old 02-17-2020, 08:06 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am 87,married 65 years,receieved,
wedding gift of revere stainless steel pots,still like new.
My brother was gift giver,had same set and passed at 94!!
I think I'll go with your anecdotal evidence.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I also have stainless steel cookware that is why she had me worried . I hate it stainless steel it cooks worse than crap . I don't care how much some type of cooking fat be it butter , oil what have you it sticks worse than glue I kid you not . I love ceramic I have a ceramic tea pot which I love and it stay hot too . But that is a whole other story .
Nothing cooks better than cast iron. It is the best.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you probably are and I would go get a ceramic coated one . I know they cost more but no nickel .
I bought my daughter a ceramic coated set. I like them so much, I think I will get a set for myself. The pans I use are Teflon coated and the Teflon definitely comes off so I'm sure we end up eating it.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 818,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I bought my daughter a ceramic coated set. I like them so much, I think I will get a set for myself. The pans I use are Teflon coated and the Teflon definitely comes off so I'm sure we end up eating it.

The Teflon coating on my pan has been coming off for years. It's a T-Fal, my mother gave it to me, it's probably 30 years old. Just haven't gotten around to getting a new frying pan.

Besides cast iron, what is safe to use for pots and pans?

Old 02-18-2020, 12:23 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
here are 3 articles that indicate there might, maybe, sort of, be a minimal issue under certain circumstances

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-cookware.html

https://mightynest.com/learn/getting...in-the-kitchen

The Canadian one basically says there is no problem and that is a government site. The second one is all over the place and continually suggests using bamboo but decries the use of plastics - the problem is that bamboo products are molded and stabilized with...yep, plastics. The third link is to a company that sells stainless steel pots and pans and is using scare tactics to get you to throw yours away and buy new, "better" ones from them.

I suppose there could be a very small segment of the population who will have a negative reaction to something in the stainless steel but, as the Canadian source stated stainless is pretty well safe for all.

I would suggest that the doctor, unless a quack or addressing a specific need of a single patient, was probably talking about aluminum rather than stainless steel, could your neighbor have been confused?

And no, normal stainless steel has no coating but some may have a very easily seen Teflon or similar lining.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
i know for a fact you cant use cast iron on a glass top stove which all stoves are going that way now . It scratches the surface of the glass top . I know when I bought my glass top stove it stated no cast iron .
It is so confusing what you can and cannot use .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness