Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 04:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times

Advertisements

If they've already been infected, long before the quarantine took place?

I only ask because, back in January, I was sick with all of the symptoms they are saying come with Covid-19:

-- fatigue and tiredness
-- low-grade fever that lasted 3 days
-- sore throat
-- heavy breathing and chest congestion

and finally,

-- respiratory issues.

The respiratory issues were the last thing I got. They lasted about a week, making the total time of illness about 2 weeks.

Breathing in felt like I was breathing in campfire smoke -- deep, painful and a "burning" sensation. I coughed relentlessly in an attempt to try to get something up and all I ended up doing was making myself hoarse.

(Important fact: I have allergy-based asthma)

I used throat spray to help keep my throat open. Plus I was using my albuterol inhaler about 6 or 7 times a day at that point. At morning, noon and night, I would also use my Flovent steroid inhaler.

Eventually, I was able to exhale thick chunks of grayish-green phlegm around the 14-day mark. Disgusting, I know...but this is an epidemiological conversation, so whatever.

Now, I started feeling ill with fatigue on Jan. 19, 2020. Supposedly, the first known "positive" in the U.S. was Jan. 20, 2020.

I've only recently begun to question whether or not I HAD Covid-19 because so many people being tested are showing up as "positive" without supposedly being exposed. Did the interviewers and doctors ask them about a history of "flu" going back to December?

I live in Los Angeles, so who knows when/how I may have been "exposed"? I just know that a lot of people in wealthier neighborhoods in LA are showing "positive" tests and are puzzled because they are practicing social distancing and avoiding going out. It's strange.

Regardless, I'm working from home. I'm following county and state protocol to stay inside and practice social distancing. I'm only leaving the house for essentials. If I had influenza, and not Covid-19, I do not want to take the chance of going through that illness again. I have not tested so there is no way to know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 04:56 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Refer to this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...ould-have.html

Old 04-12-2020, 10:04 PM

It would seem that there's something more to the story:

http://https://www.latimes.com/calif...ead-california

Old 04-12-2020, 11:17 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
There is another thread on this a few pages long.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:08 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
There is another thread on this a few pages long.

Yes, but that thread is mostly about people in the US who think they had Covid-19 before it was even in the US. This one is merely about people in CA who may have been infected in February, which is well within the realm of possibility since it had been in the country for a month by then. There's no reason to think that it couldn't have been in SF by January, from travel down the coast from WA or travelers directly from China.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:04 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Some were reporting this to the government back in November 2019, so it is quite possible it was spreading in January.

Link to large CD thread
This post has a link to an article which says there was a doc in the USA who raised the alarm in November.

Bear in mind that there was a couple of docs in China who reported it early as well, but they were not taken seriously at the time. So I think there are warning signs which doctors at the front line spot and report - it is just that the powers that be choose to ignore it for whatever reason.

The popular theory is that it started in a market in Wuhan, China but maybe it was out there long before? Some doctors certainly think so...

Old 04-14-2020, 06:18 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Yes, my oldest daughter, me, my dad, my youngest son & his dad.

Daughter returned home from ITALY sick on January 11th. Eventually every member of her 18-person group became sick with the same symptoms as the girl who was sick first & was hospitalized in Italy.

Symptoms were fever, difficulty breathing (said her lungs felt like they had glass in them) & an assortment of sore throats & nausea.

My dad became sick immediately after she returned with a cough. It seemed to get better & then he fainted at the gym about a week later & was admitted overnight. Son's dad became ill with a fever & cough shortly afterwards. Son became ill, same symptoms on Jan 28 & myself about a week after him.

The cough would take my breath away & the pain in my hip joints & thighs had me up in tears 3 nights in a row. None of us had the flu or any immune-mediators this year & never do as a rule.

Dad is 79 but is EXTREMELY healthy. Son's dad is 64 with hypertension & developed pneumonia. I am 52 & was just in terrible pain. Oldest daughter is 23 & her's resolved quickly, as did youngest son who is 16 but has a developmentally disability which is supposedly a risk factor.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I think my husband and I might have had it in mid February. He has to check in a lot of international travelers at his job. He and all of his coworkers got sick, one after another, flu symptoms but flu test negative. I got sick when he did (we had been at a Spurs game with a lot of his coworkers a few days before). We both had negative flu tests, but they said it was false negative and prescribed tamiflu. My husband had stomach symptoms that were bad enough that immodium wasn't helping much. I had stomach pain, along with the body aches, fatigue, sore throat, fever and cough. About ten days later, I started getting sharp pain in my chest when I coughed. I had a telemedicine appointment because I didn't want to take my germs to the doctor's office, and the doctor prescribed Augmentin because he said it sounded like I was developing pneumonia. He also prescribed albuterol syrup because I asked for it. My albuterol inhaler wasn't doing the job. He said if I didn't get better in a few days, I'd need to get a chest x-ray. I saw my allergist 5 days later for my monthly appointment and she said my chest sounded ok, but she prescribed a nebulizer and albuterol because I told her my lungs felt sticky when I took a deep breath. My husband and I are still coughing up mucus, more than a month later. He hasn't felt well enough to work out until the last week or so.

I expected my kids to get sick when we did, but they had several days of sore throat and fatigue, nothing more.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:49 PM

This just came out today:

LA Times: The silent, deadly spread of coronavirus in California began far earlier than first reported

http://https://www.msn.com/en-us/new...ctsBakuN8jJU1g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness