Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 1,812 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what category this should be so I apologize if it is Wrong.

Without going into a long story, I am looking to find out how my father died in 1997. We hadn’t been in touch for many years by that point in time. I have his death certificate but there is nowhere on it that shows a cause of death. I wrote a letter to the doctor who signed it after I googled his name and ihe was still at the same address but it was returned because address is not forwardable. So, it sounds like he is no longer at this address. I am aware I can order a death certificate from the county clerk but wouldn’t it be what I already have? Would the adept of Heatlth know more?

Old 05-31-2020, 12:30 PM

23,285 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Russo View Post

Without going into a long story, I am looking to find out how my father died in 1997. We hadn’t been in touch for many years by that point in time. I have his death certificate but there is nowhere on it that shows a cause of death. I wrote a letter to the doctor who signed it after I googled his name and ihe was still at the same address but it was returned because address is not forwardable. So, it sounds like he is no longer at this address. I am aware I can order a death certificate from the county clerk but wouldn’t it be what I already have? Would the adept of Heatlth know more?
Google isn't infallible. If the doctor is still licensed to practice in that state you might be able to find another address associated with the practice. The county clerk might or might not be able to help. You might look for associations, societies, registers for that medical specialty to see if the doctor is a current member. Check with the city to see if there's a current business license. However, even if you did find a way to contact that doctor's practice, they may not be able to release any medical information to you due to privacy laws.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:33 PM

301 posts, read 164,671 times
I have had past success with the services offered by White Pages. Be sure you do not subscribe to their monthly service. I think for 10 USD you can find a person by addresses for past 10 years. I just used them last month.

Find people, contact info & background checks
Trusted by over 35 million people every month:

https://www.whitepages.com/

Old 05-31-2020, 12:37 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Russo View Post

Without going into a long story, I am looking to find out how my father died in 1997. We hadn’t been in touch for many years by that point in time. I have his death certificate but there is nowhere on it that shows a cause of death. I wrote a letter to the doctor who signed it after I googled his name and ihe was still at the same address but it was returned because address is not forwardable. So, it sounds like he is no longer at this address. I am aware I can order a death certificate from the county clerk but wouldn’t it be what I already have? Would the Dept of Health know more?
Call them and ask.
Some jurisdictions provide 2 forms of a death cert.
One is a simple form of just basic name, date of death, etc info (sometimes called a "genealogical" form)
Other is a formal legal document with all the details.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Call them and ask.
Some jurisdictions provide 2 forms of a death cert.
One is a simple form of just basic name, date of death, etc info (sometimes called a "genealogical" form)
Other is a formal legal document with all the details.
This.

As a relative you should be able to get a certificate that lists the cause of death. Contact the county clerk and explain that you want a copy where the cause of death has not been redacted.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
OP: Do what you want to go thru, if it were me, I would "let it go"...there are many things I don't need to know, but this is my thinking. Just thinking your father died 23 yrs ago and wonder why you are having the need to know why now.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:14 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Do what you want to go thru, if it were me, I would "let it go"...there are many things I don't need to know, but this is my thinking. Just thinking your father died 23 yrs ago and wonder why you are having the need to know why now.
I would like to know his cause of death, my children ask me and it sure sounds ridiculous that I tell them I don’t know. I am also 8 years away from his age of death. Since I am having some heart issues, I would like to know if he did also. The doctor who signed the birth certificate seems to be a pulmonologist, so maybe I should know. Why The heck should I “let it go”? Seems like a strange thing to suggest, no?

Old 06-01-2020, 05:37 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I would like to know his cause of death, my children ask me and it sure sounds ridiculous that I tell them I don’t know. I am also 8 years away from his age of death. Since I am having some heart issues, I would like to know if he did also. The doctor who signed the birth certificate seems to be a pulmonologist, so maybe I should know. Why The heck should I “let it go”? Seems like a strange thing to suggest, no?
curious why you created another name when you asked this question. I think you have every right to know his cause of death. It's called wanting to know the history of your past especially health history. who ever said let it go does not seem to understand why you want to know. Keep searching you will find an answer.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Well, take good care of your health to begin with and if you suspect heart issues, do all the work you can on supporting your heart health. And nothing wrong with telling children you don't know for sure. Honesty comes in many forms. Good luck on finding what you need to know. He could have had many issues when he died. My parents had a few things and at their death including cancers, I believe their heart just got worn out and they went to their RIP place. I do a lot of my prevention on keeping cancers from my body, as I've been researching this issue for a long time and believe what I take is a good prevention. Learned this one 25 yrs ago.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-01-2020 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness