Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What does "common sense" have to do with science??

Based on "common sense" viruses shouldn't even exist...

Common sense doesn't trump science and it can be definitively be shown that viruses can and do survive on surfaces for variable amounts of time depending on the surface....
Have there been any scientific studies yet that prove whether or not people have gotten Covid-19 from touching a surface?

I thought I read that the amount of viral load is important.

Common sense, based on science I've read so far, I go to the store or work, touch things that have a less than 1% chance of having the virus on them, go home and wash my hands with soap.

I don't touch my face. I believe my risk is extremely low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 07:41 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Facts: CDC/govt never said masks don't work...They said we don't know if they work and there's a shortage, so let's save them for the healthcare workers who obviously must have them.
That is not what they said. They said it wasn't airborne or spread that way and that that was the reason you don't need one, so let's save them for medical personnel.

For weeks many people were only focused on surfaces and washing hands. I wonder how many people died because of the CDC.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:29 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Y'all have noticed very cautious verbiage of that change in CDC statements about COVID? Surely, they can't jump straight from "it's the end of the world if you touch something" to "it's quite OK to do".
Hence, they have to gradually change their lie from before to the truth in the future. Reason being, about 2 months ago, one of the lead German virologists did massive check in a German city and found pretty much no proof to any transmission through commonly touched household object and pets. Neither did they find much of transmission via aerosol.
But that was just handful of interviews on German TV that were muffled by media organized hysteria. Thus, now to back out of that hysteria, it needs to be gradually stepped down or, entire media hype for the last months is bluntly shown as lie it was.

1. Contrary to original assumptions, various studies have shown that there is no evidence of the virus spreading through aerosols (i.e. tiny particles floating in the air) or through smear infections (e.g. on door handles or smartphones). The main modes of transmission are direct contact and droplets produced when coughing or sneezing.
  2. There is also no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of face masks in healthy or asymptomatic individuals. On the contrary, experts warn that such masks interfere with normal breathing and may become “germ carriers”. Leading doctors called them a “media hype” and “ridiculous”.
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
That is not what they said. They said it wasn't airborne or spread that way and that that was the reason you don't need one, so let's save them for medical personnel.

For weeks many people were only focused on surfaces and washing hands. I wonder how many people died because of the CDC.
I do believe those who trusted the CDC were duped. Led down the path of being gullible. I think this was done purposely to try to stop the unwashed masses from purchasing the masks.
All viruses are about the same in particulate size, there's no mystery here just because it is a "novel" coronavirus. All viruses travel about the same distance whether talking, sneezing or coughing. Airflow in buildings affects viral load from an infected person to any specific area that the airflow is sent to. This stuff isn't rocket science. CDC, anticipating the possibility of an absolute disaster discouraged the uneducated, which was most of us since studying virus transmission isn't, or wasn't, in our list of things we googled. Now many of us went and did our own homework and studied exactly that, and wore masks, and purchased masks which were banned on ebay and Amazon to divert them to hospitals, or the elite, or something. Supply dried up. "Stay home also because we don't have enough masks" would have been a more honest approach.
Some are still out there believing that masks are only to "protect others". Umm...just no. Masks are to protect us from breathing these particles in as well, both apply. Same reason as health care workers wear them around those already confirmed to have the virus, to stop themselves from catching it. What else would be the point? It's so clear as day it's laughable.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Yeah, not like a surgeon needs a mask aye? To lessen an infectious germ/virus when opening up for heart surgery.

PPE is proven . Let the feet on the ground person's share that documented knowledge.

To the poster who has 'never disinfected ' while residing here on Earth. How unbathed you must be. No teeth brushing? No washing of dishware? Or tubs /basins?
Yes nature does it's own disinfecting and infecting...

Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
I have always assumed that it might spread like the common cold coronavirus and acted accordingly.

By inhaling airborne virus when someone coughs or sneezes;
Touching nose, mouth or eyes after direct contact with infected secretions on contaminated surfaces; or
Close personal contact with an infected person.

Which means I don't do anything differently than I have always done to avoid viruses.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 05-23-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
To the poster who has 'never disinfected ' while residing here on Earth. How unbathed you must be. No teeth brushing? No washing of dishware? Or tubs /basins?
Yes nature does it's own disinfecting and infecting...
Oh please. I know you're referring to me, and it's very clever to pretend that you don't know the way in which the word "disinfected" is being used in this and other current threads, but just cut it out. Washing one's body, clothes, or dishes with soap is not considered disinfecting. When people here speak of disinfecting, they are talking about using Lysol, bleach, disinfectant wipes, and other products specifically intended for disinfecting (not merely washing or cleaning).

No, I don't own Lysol, disinfectant wipes, or hand sanitizer. I have bleach, but use it only on white laundry once in a great while. That doesn't mean I don't brush my teeth.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
"Cleaning" basically involves washing off dirt and germs so they go somewhere else.
"Sanitizing," a.k.a. "Disinfecting" means killing the germs, even if their little corpses and any dirt are still on the surface.

Last edited by steiconi; 05-23-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-23-2020, 03:08 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
"Cleaning" basically involves washing off dirt and germs so they go somewhere else.
"Sanitizing," a.k.a. "Disinfecting" means killing the germs, even if their little corpses and any dirt are still on the surface.
Directions for disinfection include cleaning to remove dirt first.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...your-home.html

"Clean surfaces using soap and water, then use disinfectant."

Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

CDC never said this coronavirus wasn’t airborne that is nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness