Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I've ignored this for many years but I don't think there is anything "normal" about it. The scab has formed in the spot of the smallpox jab I was given at age 5, so that's over 75 yrs ago. The initial scab came off many yrs ago and then maybe 10 yrs ago or so, this current crusty scab formed...

It doesn't hurt, it's been kinda itchy around the area, and I've use some oils to soften it to see if some of it would fall off, and some of the scab has. I would not just pull it off.

I've probably had a tetnus jab in that same area about 20 yrs ago and probably a couple flu ones in my 40's don't remember for sure.

Anyone have any ideas on this...never brought this up to the dermatologist I saw about 10 yrs ago for another issue. Just wondering...

Old 06-22-2020, 09:19 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Skin cancer?

What causes brown crusty spots on skin?
Actinic keratoses usually develop in areas that've been damaged by years of sun exposure. They form when you have actinic keratosis (AK), which is a very common skin condition. AK occurs when skin cells called keratinocytes start to grow abnormally, forming scaly, discolored spots.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Skin cancer?

What causes brown crusty spots on skin?
Actinic keratoses usually develop in areas that've been damaged by years of sun exposure. They form when you have actinic keratosis (AK), which is a very common skin condition. AK occurs when skin cells called keratinocytes start to grow abnormally, forming scaly, discolored spots.
No skin cancer NEVER entered my mind. When I think of skin cancer, I think of mole. It's a scab that seems to have formed on the spot where smallpox job was given moons ago as I said. What was in that jab, that's what I'm thinking. Weird...

Old 06-23-2020, 12:30 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've ignored this for many years but I don't think there is anything "normal" about it. The scab has formed in the spot of the smallpox jab I was given at age 5, so that's over 75 yrs ago. The initial scab came off many yrs ago and then maybe 10 yrs ago or so, this current crusty scab formed...

It doesn't hurt, it's been kinda itchy around the area, and I've use some oils to soften it to see if some of it would fall off, and some of the scab has. I would not just pull it off.

I've probably had a tetnus jab in that same area about 20 yrs ago and probably a couple flu ones in my 40's don't remember for sure.

Anyone have any ideas on this...never brought this up to the dermatologist I saw about 10 yrs ago for another issue. Just wondering...
Does it look like this?

https://www.medicinenet.com/image-co...re/picture.htm

Old 06-23-2020, 08:12 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:

One possibility is seborrheic keratosis. They are benign, usually crusty scab-like rough raised patches, and the color can vary. They can be itchy. You can look at images online to see the variations and if it looks like that's it. They can come off on their own or be removed surgically, but they usually come back. No one knows the cause but they are fairly common in older people. It has been suggested that they could be a sign of too low vitamin D, and that increasing it might help.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 06-23-2020 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 09:32 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
I have more seborrheic keratosis spots than I can count. Plus other various spots on my skin. The only way to tell if they are a problem is to have the dermatologist look at them. So far 2 were cancer and several were pre-cancerous. I go every 6 months. I simply cannot determine if they are benign or not.

Please have it checked. Some things we need a professional to determine.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:45 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I have more seborrheic keratosis spots than I can count. Plus other various spots on my skin. The only way to tell if they are a problem is to have the dermatologist look at them. So far 2 were cancer and several were pre-cancerous. I go every 6 months. I simply cannot determine if they are benign or not.

Please have it checked. Some things we need a professional to determine.
Agree with this totally. BTW, a common name for these spots is "barnacles". I told my dermatologist I never had any barnacles until I lived by the river, lol.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:43 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Go see the dermatologist. Nobody on the forum can really diagnose this for you.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
No skin cancer NEVER entered my mind. When I think of skin cancer, I think of mole. It's a scab that seems to have formed on the spot where smallpox job was given moons ago as I said. What was in that jab, that's what I'm thinking. Weird...
My friends who have had skin cancer have said it looked like scabs that wouldn't heal. They knew to worry about moles but didn't know scabs could be a problem. I think you should show yours to a doctor. The location could be a coincidence and nothing to do with vaccines you've received.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
A Skin cancer check is quick and easy. Better to catch it early than too late. I had 2 precancerous lesions on my leg and the dermatologist froze them off. I think you should set an appt as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness