Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 02:24 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times

Advertisements

I have absolutely no idea why you quoted me in there as I was and have been stating the OP needs to wear a mask and "he" (kid maybe?) - thinks the stupid mesh thing helps him get around it and he can continue being selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 02:32 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
To answer your original question, no I don't. Perfectly healthy, self-centered people who rant that their civil liberties are being trodden on can't manage to wear masks either.
Big shout out to America. The fools said we'd never prevent a second wave. We done showed them that all you need to do is keep the first one going.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:19 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
Or is it just take getting used to.
Just takes getting used to. Mind over matter. I absolutely hate it, thought I would never be able to do hours with it on. I can...

Old 07-18-2020, 05:48 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Person that has health condition is protected under ADA. By refusing to let person in without mask, it's discrimination for which can be sued.
So ignorant and misinformed. If this is true why don’t you have a lawsuit already? Maybe a class action.
Refusing to let someone in who won’t wear a mask when it endangers others is not going to fly.
You haven’t thought this through very much, have you?

Old 07-18-2020, 09:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
I read a post that said you should be able to tolerate unless you are overweight and or sedentary. I’m active and have trouble wearing a mask. It’s hot and I sweat. My friend is skinny and active and it bothers her. My other friend is 300 lbs and it doesn’t bother her. Why do some have trouble and some don’t. Or is it just take getting used to.
Generally you only have to wear one indoors where there is AC. You only have to wear one outdoors if you are in a crowd and can't keep your distance. I sympathize if you are east of the Rockies, where the weather all summer is so miserable, but you should be used to it by now.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:40 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
People in Asia wear masks all the time prior to this. There is no significant genetic variation that makes mask wearing more comfortable to Asians. And surely at least 1 in 10 Americans has a trade worker in the family that has to wear a respirator all day long.

It is all in your head.

However, do not attempt to go up multiple stairs or do strenuous activities with a mask. The O2 diffusion rates are far too slow unless you’re using a cotton cloth mask which is less effective at blocking COVID and other viruses from getting in, but adequately blunts you from spreading it.

The higher grade masks without valves WILL make it difficult to breathe as the diffusion rate goes down similar to how higher grade medical or industrial MERV filters will slow the airflow. However, for the average person low risk from viral complications, a simple surgical mask will NOT significantly impair O2 uptake because it doesn’t significantly seal or block outside air. So just wear those.

If you are older or higher risk upgrade to KN95 or KF94 then the best it can tolerate is brisk walking and light lifting. Any more than that will lead to subclinical Co2 poisoning symptoms.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:47 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So ignorant and misinformed. If this is true why don’t you have a lawsuit already? Maybe a class action.
Refusing to let someone in who won’t wear a mask when it endangers others is not going to fly.
You haven’t thought this through very much, have you?
ADA has reasonable accommodation. Keyword “reasonable” which does not cause undue hardship on the company OR harm others. The problem is admitting the person puts too many others at risk. If you can’t wear a mask your personal well being in the short term unfortunately is rank checked by the public well being during a pandemic. They don’t even have to hear the case, it will be thrown out immediately.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I did that and found https://www.etsy.com/listing/8236986...=1&bes=1&col=1 Looks like it will work for me just fine.
That mask has a second fabric layer under the mesh layer. It would be no easier to breathe through than most fabric masks.

This is probably more like what you are looking for https://www.etsy.com/listing/8092398...ng_top-4&frs=1

Old 07-19-2020, 09:48 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
That mask has a second fabric layer under the mesh layer. It would be no easier to breathe through than most fabric masks.

This is probably more like what you are looking for https://www.etsy.com/listing/8092398...ng_top-4&frs=1
That looks even better. Thank you

Old 07-23-2020, 10:50 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
It might depend on what type of person you are. I feel heavy after wearing them for long periods no matter what so my body/mind won't ever like them but they're tolerable compared to other things. They bother me more when I'm already low on battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
There are medicines to alleviate anxiety. So what is your next fabrication you'd like to speak?
Maybe just me but I wouldn't mess with those medicines. A lot of allopathic drugs are terrible especially those designed to help mental health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

Not wearing one is a good way to ensure that this never - ever - ends.

I don't know if I want it to end or not. Right now I definitely don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
You sweat and feel uncomfortable? Well, let me tell you a couple of stories.

Story #1: When I was thirteen, my Mom told me I needed to start wearing a bra. Wow, was that ever annoying and uncomfortable. But guess what? I totally got used to it and have been wearing a bra for years with no problems. Now it feels weird to go braless.

I don't wear one but maybe that's just me. If I do wear support it would be a camisole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post

Don't we all want things to go back to normal?

I'm beginning to wonder if anti maskers are in favor of everything being shut down as long as possible.

Normal is a word that infuriates me so hell no but no to everything being shut down. If some stuff stays open that's fine. I don't want the whole world to shut down forever but at the same time if certain things open that means literally everything opens back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Only if the business isn't providing reasonable accomodations. There's a lawsuit against a local grocery chain from someone with your outlook. The store argues that since they offer online ordering,personal shopping, delivery, and curbside pickup, that someone who can't wear a mask should be making use of those accomodations, not demanding the store allow them inside unmasked, putting their employees and other customers at risk.

Even when you don't need reasonable accomodations, it's difficult to sue. You can try but you're not likely to win. ADA doesn't really mean anything. If it did hiring discrimination wouldn't be a thing.
That's why I don't bother, even though at times the mask can make things harder but my boss said to go back and take it off anytime it gets to be too much. Because I tolerate my alternate job and I believe in working hard in it I don't like that I have to take a break from working but if that's the only way then I'd have to do that. Plus considering I want things to stay the way they are the mask is a fair sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

If everyone did the same, maybe we'd return to "normal" more quickly--or whatever the new normal will be.

Hopefully a new normal...a new improved normal that benefits all types of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Maybe not at that moment, but if you turn this into a legal challenge you WILL need to provide proof of disability and also prove that the business hasn't attempted to make any reasonable accommodation for you. They probably can without too much trouble, including simply showing that there's another place to eat right down the street. There goes your lawsuit...tossed into the round file and you could face a countersuit and damages. Courts rely on evidence...they won't blindly accept your word for it.

Exactly and even if you have proof of something, it still gets tricky. I tried to get disability for a while and they wouldn't award it to me because I technically could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

The thing about masks are, it you REALLY DON'T LIKE THEM, you should be the person who WEARS THEM the MOST! In very layperson's terms, the Mask starves out the virus.

Can't we ALL agree that we want this virus gone?

It's tragic, and a very painful disease, that like polio, has life long residual effects.

Again it would depend on what that means for the virus to be gone.

Last edited by Nickchick; 07-23-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness