Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wipe down your groceries because of coronavirus?
Yes, I wipe down my groceries. 18 16.67%
No, I just put them away. 79 73.15%
I don't wipe them down, but I let non-perishables sit until the potential for contamination is gone. 4 3.70%
I transfer groceries to other containers. 0 0%
Other (please explain) 7 6.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 01:30 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times

Advertisements

I wash with soap and towel dry my milk and orange juice containers (plastic or paper cartons) before I put them into my refrigerator. This didn't start with Covid-19; I have always done this. Lately I have been doing the same with other plastic containers of fresh food that go into my refrig. Other than that, I do not disinfect. And I have never used disinfectant or wipes, just soap and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 01:32 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
No. We just put them away and washed our hands afterward. The information that Zymer above has posted was available in my research on the internet. I did see the video of the doctor wiping all the stuff down for his mother who was elderly. We are 3 adults, 2 seniors and an adult son with DS and the number of grocery items that we buy in a week, well, it would probably kill me to sanitize and repackage all of our grocery items in the first place. We do, of course, wash fresh fruits and vegetables always.

I believe that building one's immune system is the best defense against illness/disease.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:11 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I did for the first 4 months or so, but then I read information from multiple sources (including CDC) that indicating washing your hands afterwards is perfectly fine, so I recently stopped. Thank goodness because it was a time consuming pain in the behind!

Old 07-29-2020, 02:28 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Same here. No longer wipe down the groceries; just practice good hygiene.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:32 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I saw that video, and followed it for one grocery delivery. What a lot of work!

Now I let non perishables and mail sit for a day, and just put perishables away, then wash my hands. The virus is supposed to last longer in fridge or freezer, but it seems like the risk is minimal.

I do wear a mask when dealing with the delivery folks.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:58 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I SURE DO! I've wiped/rinsed of everything for the past 4 mos. I try not to go to the store too often. I put the "dirty" stuff on 1 side of the kitchen counter & once it's rinsed/wiped w/ alcohol, I put it on the other side & my fiance' puts them away.

Yes, it uses PT, alcohol, & is more time-consuming, but I feel safer & I definitely thinks it helps.

To those who don't care to wipe things down...

1) Haven't you heard by now that COVID lives on various surfaces for certain lengths of time? Here's a chart. So as we know, food packaging is usually either cardboard/paper or plastic, so the virus is STILL on there way after you've usually come home from the store.

2) None of us know who just coughed or sneezed in the store right before we came along & grabbed that very item. I personally try to grab things FROM THE BACK, but those thousands of droplets fly far all around. And you don't know if the person who coughed/sneezed has COVID or not.

3) Plus, the grocery cashier may be wearing gloves, but they sure don't change gloves in between each customer or probably not each time they've coughed/sneezed, touched their own face/hair, etc.

BTW OP, are you talking about this doctor's video? He also did a video on how to open packages we get in the mail. I think he's very thorough & everyone should be doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmoBI5m2_uw&t=484s
Attached Thumbnails
Do you wipe down your groceries because of coronavirus?-how-long-covid-lives-surfaces.jpg  

Old 07-29-2020, 04:16 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
No, I just wash my hands like a fiend after handling any groceries, and in between any steps of opening grocery containers while cooking, and then after handling, or serving to my family. Been ok so far (four months running).

Old 07-29-2020, 05:11 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
No, I do not. Covid-19 is very unlikely to be on my groceries. However, if someone wearing gloves has been handling them, that kinda turns my stomach.
I do wash my hands when I get home. I have always done that.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:58 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times
People have been trying to say this for a while now https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-safety.html It is really ridiculous to see some people in the supermarket, dressed as if for PPE with gloves, face shield, (I've even seen paper gowns) and mask improperly worn....but feeling quite invincible. The gloves touch everything. Yes, most of us use our hands to pick up stuff but we sanitize often. People with gloves feel they do not have to at all.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:04 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I do not wipe down my groceries either. I wear the mask at the store, then I wash my hands when I get home. I do clean my home with sanitizers/disinfectants but that has always been the case. I can't be bothered is my reason. I do wash fruit off under cold water before eating like, apple, pears, grapes cherries, strawberries but I always did that. I can't be that OCD otherwise I'll got nuts. I am sure I am another person who will have a hospital bed waiting for me too as someone else said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness