Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 01:21 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,513 times

Advertisements

https://www.carbwarscookbooks.com/is...n-to-covid-19/

I have noticed since my diabetes diagnosis few years back and my controlling it via low carb (not keto) diet instead of insulin and diabetes drugs, that I havent had a single cold or bout of flu. Oh once in while it feels like start of such, scratchy throat or something, but wake up next day and normal. So wondering if this sugar camouflage maybe a common thing in virus of various types???

I had already run across a mouse study. Half population mice fed normal lab mouse chow diet and other half a keto diet. Then all exposed H1N1 virus. The control mice all died by fourth day. The keto mice only half died. Those on keto diet had four times the gamma-delta T-cells by third day as those on regular diet.

https://www.molecular-medicine-israe...mice-from-flu/

Again none of this is useful until much more extensive studies done (and since nobody makes beaucoup bucks, they wont be), but its interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 09:04 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
What's in mouse chow, and what do you do with a half dead mouse?

Old 09-25-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What's in mouse chow, and what do you do with a half dead mouse?

As to what to do with a half dead mouse, suggest you ask a cat. As to the study half of mice fed the keto diet lived. All others died. There were no half dead mice.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:02 AM

1,975 posts, read 1,107,340 times
Harmful effects of excess sugar

"Simple sugars, including glucose, table sugar, fructose, and honey caused a fifty- percent drop in the ability of white blood cells to engulf bacteria. In contrast, ingesting a complex carbohydrate solution (starch) did not lower the ability of these white blood cells to engulf bacteria. The immune suppression was most noticeable two hours post-ingestion, but the effect was still evident five hours after ingestion."

White blood cells need insulin to take up vitamin C, so it competes with sugar for insulin.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:12 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,307,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Harmful effects of excess sugar

"Simple sugars, including glucose, table sugar, fructose, and honey caused a fifty- percent drop in the ability of white blood cells to engulf bacteria. .

It sure would be nice if the good Dr. Sears would provide a source citation for that claim. More context is needed. I found that sentence on dozens of websites dating back at least 11 years and of the few who cite anything, they all cite Dr Sears, who himself cites nothing. Pending further research which I don't intend to do, I'd have to call this claim unsubstantiated.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,658 posts, read 18,021,886 times
This is really interesting. I know that low sugar diets/zero refined sugar diets can help with conception in couples with undiagnosed/unexplained infertility.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It sure would be nice if the good Dr. Sears would provide a source citation for that claim. More context is needed. I found that sentence on dozens of websites dating back at least 11 years and of the few who cite anything, they all cite Dr Sears, who himself cites nothing. Pending further research which I don't intend to do, I'd have to call this claim unsubstantiated.

Dr. Sears also is making his claim about sugar and BACTERIA. Different than VIRUS. But yea you base your claim on a study, give a reference. For all we know he just spun these "studies" out of whole cloth.

Might also mention back before antibiotics, there was some practice packing open wounds with sugar to control bacterial infection. Not consumed by the patient, but in making a hostile environment for the bacteria. Consuming sugar is not something good for bacteria either.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:23 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,107,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It is an old study most of them are referring to, unfortunately its not cheap to do studies.

Many sites like the Linus Pauling Institute point out that immune function is dependent on good metabolism and sufficient nutrients. But they place a special emphasis on Vitamin D and C as even Dr. Fauci recently recommended vitamin D and a gram or so of C a day.

"At a minimum, getting the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C and vitamin D is necessary for the immune system to function properly"

The problem with Vitamin C is that it has a short half life and clears the body quickly. Since it competes with sugar for insulin, and cells prefer sugar, you could easily clear out most of your vitamin C after a meal while a poor metabolism takes many hours to bring your glucose levels down.

Being diabetic doesnt have to compromise your immunity however, if you keep your sugar in check with diet and exercise. Moving from 3 meals to 2 meals a day with an extended morning fast is quick way start improving blood sugar as mentioned in the 2nd step of the StopCovidCold website. Also Solray also has a nice time release vitamin C.

Other articles
High blood sugar causes immune system malfunction
Why high blood sugar compromises our immune system
How does diabetes affect the immune function
Type 2 weakens immune function - participants with type 2 diabetes had lower mean natural killer cell activity (768.01) compared with participants with prediabetes (2,396.08)

Last edited by Rom623; 09-27-2020 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-27-2020, 10:10 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,307,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
It is an old study most of them are referring to, unfortunately its not cheap to do studies.

Thanks for the link. They used 100 gram doses of sugars in that study, equivalent to about a quart of soft drink or 40 oz of orange juice. Certainly some people consume that much in a day, but not very many health conscious people. That's a pretty large amount in my book. So yeah i would be worried about the effects of sugar on my immune system if i consumed such large amounts. I'd also be concerned about diabetes, making matters even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness