Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 04:25 PM

1,354 posts, read 790,102 times

Advertisements

Let us consider the surgery was total success.
What are the movement limitations (if any) after the rehab process is over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 04:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,145,496 times
I've not tried sitting cross-legged on the floor, not sure if I will. other than that, nothing for me.

my rehab was walking, there was no PT. I am 2 years out from one and 2.5 years out from the other.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:18 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Well, let me tell you! LOL. I consider mine a success too, but I dislocated my artificial hip TWICE.

Once sitting on the ground, and my husband pulled me up by my arm, on the replacement side.

POP! OMG, the pain....ambulance, emergency procedure...no fun at all.

Other time, I caught my flip-flop and fell really hard to the dirt ground. POP.

I eventually learned the muscles surrounding the joint were weak, for whatever reason. So it easily slipped out. The ortho doc recommended a stationary bike. I have an elliptical, but that doesn't reach that muscle. He didn't want me out on a real bike, due to falling danger.

We walk and all that, but I guess it's not enough....

I don't really sit on the ground much, but at the beach for example, I have to get onto all 4s and push myself up. Really ungainly, but better than getting pulled up and POP again.

Sitting "Indian style" is not really good for the replaced hips or knees. Ditto skiing or basketball or any contact sports. I am VERY careful in all my movements now. It's a bummer, but better than living with a painful, non-operating hip.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:18 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Let us consider the surgery was total success.
What are the movement limitations (if any) after the rehab process is over?
Obviously there's a difference between limiting movements during the recovery period and after that. I was cautioned (for the long term after recovery) against sitting in the cross-legged lotus position, a couple of specific yoga poses, jumping from more than a certain height, but that was it. As I don't tend to do those things not a single problem. No noticeable movement limitations once recovery was over. A common one is sitting with one leg crossed over the other knee. I do it all the time. My surgery was over 20 years ago. There are more surgical approaches now that reduce the risk of dislocation. Your surgeon should be giving you this information ahead of time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-22-2020 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2020, 05:34 PM

433 posts, read 532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Obviously there's a difference between limiting movements during the recovery period and after that. I was cautioned (for the long term after recovery) against sitting in the cross-legged lotus position, a couple of specific yoga poses, jumping from more than a certain height, but that was it. As I don't tend to do those things not a single problem. No noticeable movement limitations once recovery was over. A common one is sitting with one leg crossed over the other knee. I do it all the time. My surgery was over 20 years ago. There are more surgical approaches now that reduce the risk of dislocation. Your surgeon should be giving you this information ahead of time.
Direct anterior hip arthroplasty---

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-p...y/MAC-20429796

Old 08-22-2020, 05:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 790,102 times
Would I be able to I walk up stairs after surgery?
Would I be able to make long walks, say 2 - 3 miles?

Old 08-22-2020, 07:38 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
I assume you mean after your recovery period (when you must be careful and follow your surgeon's directions) is over.

Getting a hip replaced isn't going to prevent you from climbing stairs or walking as far as you want. I am assuming you don't have other orthopedic problems (like a bad knee or foot problems) that prevented you from doing those activities before your surgery.

Talk to your surgeon.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:04 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,145,496 times
Quote:
yes. while there was no PT once I was discharged PT was right there to get me up and moving within a couple hours after I was back in my room. they made me go up a little stair step they had, a couple steps only.

it was mainly to show me how to do stairs while recovering. lead with the good leg up, the operated leg down. up with the good, down with the bad.

I have to go down deck stairs to get to my bird feeders and I will die before I let my birds go without food. I was able to get down and up with no problem within four days. I also had steps from the garage to the house, no problem even on the day of discharge.

I had anterior approach for both hips.

2-3 miles? eventually if that is something you do now, no problem. during recovery? probably not.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:30 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times
[quote=Sand&Salt;58963715]Well, let me tell you! LOL. I consider mine a success too, but I dislocated my artificial hip TWICE.

[I eventually learned the muscles surrounding the joint were weak, for whatever reason. So it easily slipped out. The ortho doc recommended a stationary bike. I have an elliptical, but that doesn't reach that muscle. He didn't want me out on a real bike, due to falling danger. ]

You make an important point that many don't realize: It's the muscles that span that hip joint that hold it in place, not so much the "socket." This is important to understand because when the native joint goes bad (loses its original cup shape) the muscles automatically increase their tension in an attempt to keep your leg in place (so to speak). It's a spinal reflex.

As a result, a bad hip can (and often does) manifest as lower back pain. The hip area itself not involved in the pain. That's because those muscles insert in part on your lower lumbar and sacral spine and often the tension on that muscle (painful) is felt there. Result: getting worked up for a back problem when it's the hip joint that is causing it.

When lower back pain results in seeing a doctor for it, if there is no back problem explaining it, make sure they x-ray your hips!

I had several bouts of severe lower back pain for years, saw a couple neurosurgeons who could not explain it, then saw a doc in an acute care facility. He just for fun x-rayed my hips. Totally unsuspected both hips were bone on bone. Hip replacement (just on one side) ended that lower back problem!

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 08-23-2020 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-23-2020, 09:36 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
My husband’s hip replacement was 6 years ago. He is finding that he is having a lot more trouble putting on socks than he did a few years ago. His flexibility seems to have lessened. He is going to ask the Ortho doc to send him back for some PT tweaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness