Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 08:54 PM

562 posts, read 677,232 times

Advertisements

I once heard a good old boy talking about this awhile ago, about how just a small glass of wine everyday can be good for your stomach. Has anyone heard about this and does anybody know what kind of wine may be good for your stomach? I rarely drank alcoholic beverages. I don't even remember the last time I had a glass of beer or a glass of wine. I was just wondering since I recently have had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 05:38 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
I have IBS, and wine makes it worse. So for me, the answer to your question is: NO kind of wine is good for my stomach. What works for some people creates big problems for others.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:09 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
1 Timothy 5:23

“Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.”

King James Version (KJV)

I don't think I'd take my medical advice from Timothy. Now if Luke wrote it, that's a different story.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
From what I have heard even from some doctors a small glass of any wine per day may help with blood pressure. I don't think it helps with a tummy problem. As much as I love my wine, I don't think I would recommend a glass of wine just because I thought there was some good health benefits to a glass.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:03 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I once heard a good old boy talking about this awhile ago, about how just a small glass of wine everyday can be good for your stomach. Has anyone heard about this and does anybody know what kind of wine may be good for your stomach? I rarely drank alcoholic beverages. I don't even remember the last time I had a glass of beer or a glass of wine. I was just wondering since I recently have had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
A friend of mine once told me that in Ukraine people drink a shot of vodka everyday because the quality of the drinking water is bad, containing harmful micro-organisms that alcohol can kill.

In Italy, someone once taught me the expression, translated, 'better a bad glass of wine than a good glass of water', probably also referring to the risks of drinking water and the supposed purifying qualities of alcohol, which probably also accounts for Apostle Paul's advice to Timothy.

My impression is that if you are drinking clean water, don't overeat, and don't eat bad food, then drinking any alcohol-based beverage would not necessarily help.

Last edited by bale002; 09-06-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 09:59 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
There isn't one. You are chasing a foolish good old boy tale.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:05 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
In Europe 9and here in the US), one can find "Tonic Wines". These do have a low alcohol base which is mixed with herb and plant extracts. It may be available here. A small glass, like one used for Port, might be tolerated. Only by trying would you be able to assess tolerance.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Wine is nether good or bad for your stomach. If you have stomach issues wine will not help and possibly hurt. Alcohol in general may have a soothing effect on a sour stomach or relief if you eat too much. Fernet Branca from Italy and Jaegermeister from Germany are digestive aids for after a meal.
And disregard any Bible passages you come across for advice on drinking.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:33 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wine is nether good or bad for your stomach. If you have stomach issues wine will not help and possibly hurt. Alcohol in general may have a soothing effect on a sour stomach or relief if you eat too much. Fernet Branca from Italy and Jaegermeister from Germany are digestive aids for after a meal.
And disregard any Bible passages you come across for advice on drinking.
Not buying what you're selling, which I believe you said was wine.

I enjoy wine but don't delude myself that its stomach-neutral. There is a reason you drink it only in moderation. Multiple reasons actually.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:36 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
I wish.
And our sold farm is now a vineyard.
I have gout, high BP, alcohol intolerance, and diabetes2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness