Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 6,671 times

Advertisements

My child had a CT scan at 3 years old and really concerned if the below description sounds normal?

She had what we thought was one helical CT scan of her head and neck (c spine which goes to her t2 area) which was combined so one scan.

We were told for this combined scan an effective dose of 8.3mSv, however this seemed to be high so having found out the calculation was done using incorrect values and body parts exposed etc we now have a figure of around 4mSv.

The actual issue is we believe repeats were taken and I have no idea what to think which is why I am searching for answers.

The Machine was a GE 16 Lightspeed.
The CT tech after putting my child on the table left to go into the other room to start the scan.

Both my husband and I were with my child holding her and the machine came on and she moved into the machine and it rotated, lights on the tube and red guide lights on her head, and a noise so loud like an alarm in the room a deep whirring etc. The machine stopped and I assumed it was all done as it was a long time.

The CT tech came in again and said if she wasn’t still it would be four or five images. I didn’t think to question. He pressed buttons on the machine and went back out.

The machine did the exact same thing a second time with rotation, lights on and red lights on her head the noise was very loud like an alarm again etc. The machine then stopped and I thought it was done.

He came in again with his head in the door way and said one more. And the machine did the same and the only difference was the red guidelights went to her head and neck so I assume this is the one scan done in one? But we can not account for the other two times the machine was on? It seems to me a new patient scan was set up?

Does this sound normal? Or repeats? And how many?
What would the dose be?

And if the scan if anything was only a precaution at what point can multiple repeats be taken. The only scan on PACS we are told is the one with her head and neck combined. The machine may not be set to automatically send to PACS.

Having read up on ionising radiation I am particularly concerned to the point of being quite panicked. We are told the machine only did two scouts but one was by hand with the images already taken and then one scan, which does not match what he said in the room or what the machine did. I literally just want to know the risk to her and if this sounds normal? I’ve read so much and I am just scared for her future health, she was three at the time of the scans.

Anyone who can shed some light on this I would be so grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I'm not an expert, but had one myself just two weeks ago, looking at my chest and lungs. It took about 30 seconds, one time only. When I asked the doctor who ordered it, he said that the CT is 70 times more radiation than a chest Xray, but provides much more detailed 3D 360 degree images. The tech was able to confirm that the image was satisfactory before I left.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 PM

This is my worry I think they have scanned her multiple times and I’m freaking out so much.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:14 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbootz View Post
This is my worry I think they have scanned her multiple times and I’m freaking out so much.
I'm not a tech but scans are usually quick. How long total was she under the machine? Possible she moved they had to repeat? That's what it sounds like because he said not to move.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:29 AM

Each time was more than five mins it was a long time to hold her. We believe they are not telling us the truth as they only gave us one scan and said the machine deletes scans over time. They by law are supposed to log the information and they haven’t. I am so scared. We know a single repeat is acceptable but multiple repeats are not acceptable. It came on three times with him coming in between and saying what he did and they will not answer the question with him saying what he did and the machine doing what it did does not match what they gave us. I am petrified as they seemed dodgy and I feel so guilty I let them do this I feel like the worst parent in the world right now. And with litigation and stuff I can’t the answers.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:49 AM

177 posts, read 130,432 times
I am not a CT tech, but do work in a radiology office and come across many, many reports. You said the tech told you that if she wasn't still there would be four or five more images. They often have to repeat sequences due to motion artifact, which is a common occurrence. They would not unnecessarily put her through excessive sequences if the images were found to be diagnostic. Again, I am not a tech, but this could be the case.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:22 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
I am not a CT tech, but do work in a radiology office and come across many, many reports. You said the tech told you that if she wasn't still there would be four or five more images. They often have to repeat sequences due to motion artifact, which is a common occurrence. They would not unnecessarily put her through excessive sequences if the images were found to be diagnostic. Again, I am not a tech, but this could be the case.
That's what I think happened. Hard doing test on a kid that's not sedated no matter how still the parent thinks they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbootz View Post
Each time was more than five mins it was a long time to hold her. We believe they are not telling us the truth as they only gave us one scan and said the machine deletes scans over time. They by law are supposed to log the information and they haven’t. I am so scared. We know a single repeat is acceptable but multiple repeats are not acceptable. It came on three times with him coming in between and saying what he did and they will not answer the question with him saying what he did and the machine doing what it did does not match what they gave us. I am petrified as they seemed dodgy and I feel so guilty I let them do this I feel like the worst parent in the world right now. And with litigation and stuff I can’t the answers.
I think you're worrying for no reason. Kids take longer I'm sure. My grandson was knocked out for a brain to lumbar MRI at 1, he was in there over an hour.

How long ago did this happen? I've had tons of xrays and CTs, I'm still alive with no health issues from them.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Do you know if the sequences are all on the one series? For example we have one dose report and on that dose report it says:

Series 1:scout
Series 2: helical

So it doesn’t mention any other series in that scan. The scout has no information and the helical scan entry has the DLP and scan length etc but if repeats were taken would they be down as a different series? Does that make sense? Because if repeats are taken surely it would show on the dose report? The dose report we have does not seem to match what the machine did and what he said. Especially as he came in after the second time to say one more. One more scan I assume and I assume I only have a dose report for the last scan he did?

I’m just so confused that the paperwork isn’t matching what the machine did and what he said. The scan we don’t think was needed which makes it even worse but for him to repeat over and over I am
Worried.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:21 AM

177 posts, read 130,432 times
I just printed this out and will show it to one of the CT techs and get their input. Stay tuned...

Old 02-17-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I just printed this out and will show it to one of the CT techs and get their input. Stay tuned...
Thank you so much, it’s just we are told only one scout was taken as the other scout was done by hand with the images they had and then only one scan was taken which combined her head and neck but this does not match the description in my main post above with the three times it came on with the way the machine moved and the sounds of alarms and rotations and lights, or match what the CT tech said between the scans. Would it coming on three times mean we should have more information for dose reports? He came in after the first time and touched the machine again would this be a new patient scan and new patient ID? It’s been so stressful.

I am so grateful more than you can know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness