Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 02:42 PM

47 posts, read 82,831 times

Advertisements

Quest Diagnostics Labs - Has anyone noticed that now when you sign in you have to complete a 3rd party check to make sure you are who say you are? As in, this 3rd party asks questions that imply they have access to your credit record. I was asked questions that had a place of employment from the early 90's. Another an old vehicle from over 15 years ago. I was very upset by this. To see your history being used as a identification device on this site just floored me. Was not expecting that, and actually, was a bit of a trigger for me, as I do not like to be reminded about particular past things.
My second gripe is how hard it is today to actually talk to a real person. They want you to do everything online. And then they make you jump through hoops and go around several roundabouts, over hill and dale just to confirm who you are, and to navigate their system, and good luck finding that contact number! As one gets older, this can get harder. I feel sorry for seniors (I'm not that far off myself and am already feeling their pain!). It's so easy to get overwhelmed by all this and just give up and not bother, and then one's health suffers for it. I totally get that now. And worse still, seems many times when you do find a real person, they are young and have the personality of a postage stamp (sorry stamps) and just don't care or try to be understanding even! (could just be my New England state too...)
I find our society has not really progressed in some areas, but rather just gotten harder. Anyone else with problems with QD or similar labs? I'm looking for lab alternatives and ready to ditch the online access to records, just give me a printout from the office. Although, I guess from talking to the receptionist at the Dr's office, if you have certain insurances, you are basically locked in to certain lab companies for insurance payments. Pretty soon a complete monopoly on services and no choices left. Rant over. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 06:20 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
Are you speaking about Quest Labs for blood work?

Showing up at 7:30 a.m. fasting and the staff questions you??

I don't like this. All the times I've been there - I just show my DL and health card for the first of the year and thereafter, just my DL. Never had a problem.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:49 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
That's really bizarre. I'd be perturbed too.

I use Quest Labs and have for years. I was just there last week for all my annual tests. I didn't experience anything like what you're reporting, fortunately. I made an appointment online, took the confirmation info with me, scanned it in in their waiting room, handed them my insurance cards and DL and that was it. Just the way it's always been. They were quick, polite, and efficient as usual.

I'm in California but that shouldn't matter, I don't think. Unless there are some unique state-specific requirements in your state? I wonder if this is a new policy and because I'm an established patient over many years I haven't experienced it? They're my preferred lab by necessity as they are the ones that do certain specialty tests that I occasionally need so I'm pretty much locked in there.

I know several people who use Lab Corp. I haven't but maybe you could try them.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:52 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Its no surprise that Quest requires multifactor authentication. They had two data breaches in the span of a couple of years and there was a lawsuit over it. As a publicly traded company there is pressure to take strong action.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:45 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
I have had some medical issues lately and have been to Quest a few times. In setting up the account to be able to view my test results online, I was asked multiple authentication questions. One of them was "what color was the Toyota Sienna minivan that I had previously owned?" Wow, okay, that was three vehicles ago when my kids (almost all out of college now) were in grade school and I guessed wrong. I still got in by answering additional questions that I know you can pull from public records, but I was a little rattled by the fact that some 3rd party service has assembled this information about me all in one place and, apparently, knows my history better than I do!

Old 02-20-2021, 08:56 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
So much scammery nowadays, it is unfortunately an new reality.

Just logging-on to some websites is getting to be a pain, little puzzle you have to fill-out or
some other form of 3rd-party verification.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:38 AM

47 posts, read 82,831 times
Default Re Quest Diagnostics online accounts...

Thank you all for your replies.
Dragonmam -- yes this what I mean. Sorry I did not clarify about 'signing in' as I meant signing in online into your account at Quest Diagnostics. I know they use a 3rd party service to verify you, anyone remember what they saw, like Experion or other credit info companies? I was so freaked out I closed the tab/account page quickly.
Wasel -- I was not aware of the data breaches, or if I was, I forgot, there are so many now. Thank you for that info, I can see why they have become more security oriented, but I admit it was like those aberrations on the Matrix.
Sometimes I think I'll just forget about online accounts, banking included, but it is generally so handy and easy to access at any time. But I guess it comes with a price too. I try not to think too hard about Capital One and their incessant tracking of everything you buy with your card - emails that say 'Hey, we see you bought such and such..." Creeps me out, even if they are offering to help you shop cheaper on your items. No thank you. I shop as careful as I can anyway. And their increasing connection with everything like Amazon, etc. And someday I may just forget about using it, at least save it for emergencies only.
Yes tickyul -- I guess one gets a rude awakening sometimes as to what the internet has become and how much internet theft goes on, how much dishonesty there is out there. It's as if the person sitting behind the computer doing this has set aside their conscience and depersonalized everyone to just numbers and names, rather than human beings with real life struggles of their own.
Thanks again for replying and listening. I appreciate it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...312_story.html
Not sure I can include outside links, sorry if this is not acceptable, but one can search washington post business using quest diagnostics breach to see how bad some data breaches were. Interesting and scary reading.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
That's really bizarre. I'd be perturbed too.

I use Quest Labs and have for years. I was just there last week for all my annual tests. I didn't experience anything like what you're reporting, fortunately. I made an appointment online, took the confirmation info with me, scanned it in in their waiting room, handed them my insurance cards and DL and that was it. Just the way it's always been. They were quick, polite, and efficient as usual.

I'm in California but that shouldn't matter, I don't think. Unless there are some unique state-specific requirements in your state? I wonder if this is a new policy and because I'm an established patient over many years I haven't experienced it? They're my preferred lab by necessity as they are the ones that do certain specialty tests that I occasionally need so I'm pretty much locked in there.

I know several people who use Lab Corp. I haven't but maybe you could try them.

Good luck.
Tried to comment to you in a rep but I've handed out too many today.

You've probably already did the verification but don't remember or you probably joined before they did that. I do recall that one site did do that to me too but I can't recall what site it was. I did used to use Quest but my Doctors have Lab Corps in their offices. I believe they're just as bad with Microsoft health vault if I remember correctly. I know I have to have Microsoft health vault for one or two of my medical records.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:52 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
I've been going to Quest a half dozen times a year for blood tests for several years now and I book the appointment online, print out the confirmation, then use the code to sign in at the lab at my designated appointment time. I usually don't even need to show my insurance cards when I am seen at the desk. Being on their portal is very handy. I usually get an email from Quest a day or two after the test, to check my results on the portal. I download my results and save it as a pdf file so I can refer to it. Except for one new phlebotomist who jabbed me too hard, I've been happy with Quest. I gave that phlebotomist a bad review when Quest sent me an email to rate my experience.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:19 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
The last two times I've had blood drawn at Quest, they lost one or more of the vials.
I've never had that problem anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness