Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 07:57 AM

3,470 posts, read 2,454,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
The VERY LAST thing you want to do is ask a doctor for Xanax. You can guarantee you wont get it.
Maybe not your doctor, but mine had no problem with it. He saw my medical record, saw that I'd had it prescribed once when a close relative died and I was beside myself with grief, and a second time when I found out we had to sell our home and move out of state. Xanax, when used responsibly by responsible people, is a very common and useful medication prescribed commonly by licensed physicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 08:00 AM

3,470 posts, read 2,454,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Yes. Why go to a conventional medical doctor anyway? They're glorified uneducated drug and vaccine and surgery pushers.
Because most of us believe in science. The rest of us believe in fiction, quackery, rumor, hearsay, gossip, and conspiracy.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:20 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,057,116 times
When doctor wants to RX tests I've had done in recent past they appreciate when I show up with hard copies of those tests. They don't need to be repeated if nothing showed up and go into my record.

A workaround for high BP due to anxiety is having a nurse take it when you won't be seeing the doctor. I've had that offered because my BP gets up in some medical appts, other times is much lower.

OP said they had these tests done so why do them again?
Communication is lacking between OP and doctor.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:20 AM

230 posts, read 217,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
How often are you asked to do these tests?
I was first asked to get this done in 2015. I did it again in 2019.

I need to start going to my doctor every year, instead of every few years.

I visited my doctor in 2015, 2018, 2019, and I plan to visit again soon in 2021.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:03 AM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I haven't told my doctor that I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety.
OK, well that would be a key piece of info for the doctor to have. Also, there's an effective therapy (non-medical) for that. Have you considered seeing a mental-health care provider, who specializes in that? It could be life-changing. Liberating.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:48 AM

17,645 posts, read 15,346,122 times
Quote:
I was first asked to get this done in 2015. I did it again in 2019.

I need to start going to my doctor every year, instead of every few years.

I visited my doctor in 2015, 2018, 2019, and I plan to visit again soon in 2021.

Oh, wait, you've done the test before?

I thought he had just asked you to do it before and you hadn't done it then?

Old 04-01-2021, 12:08 PM

230 posts, read 217,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Oh, wait, you've done the test before?

I thought he had just asked you to do it before and you hadn't done it then?
Yes, I've done it twice.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:18 PM

17,645 posts, read 15,346,122 times
Quote:
Yes, I've done it twice.

The tell him to pound sand.

Of course, the better way to do it, more likely, would probably be just to tell him you really don't want to do it again and ask him to explain why he wants you to do it again.. What he expects to see or what he's guarding against by ordering the test again.

If you disagree with his reasoning, tell him you disagree and why.

THEN if he still pushes, you can tell him to pound sand.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:57 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,421,064 times
Quote:
I'm 23. I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety. Everytime I go to the doctor for a checkup, my heart rate starts racing because I get nervous. When they take my vitals, they say my heart rate is very fast. My doctor orders me to do an Echo cardiogram and to get hooked up to a 24 hour holter monitor to make sure I have no heart problems.

I feel like doing these procedures are unnecessary because I know my heart is fine, I'm just nervous. My heart rate at home is completely normal. I'm getting tired of wasting my time and money on unnecessary procedures.

I plan on going to my doctor soon for a check up. I haven't had one since August 2019. I don't want my doctor to pull this on me again due to my nerves.

Can I deny doing a test my doctor orders and what is an alternative way for someone with White Coat Syndrome to prove that my heart rate at home is fine?
You can deny any test you want.

But consider this - perhaps you "feel nervous" BECAUSE your heart rate is fast. So something besides "your nerves" could be the cause and you need to find out WHAT. Your memory and your conscious thoughts about just when your heart "is racing" may be off and you're only recalling certain situations that don't fully describe your condition. In terms of testing, my guess is that a short while after being hooked up to the Holter monitor you may begin to forget about it.

It's in your own best interest to get this checked out - or at least make the attempt rather than assume you don't need it or to assume you can't handle it.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:15 PM

1,371 posts, read 672,651 times
Quote:
I haven't told my doctor that I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety.

As others have noted, you really should tell your doctor.

Is this a diagnosis from a psych provider or a self-diagnosis? If it's from a psych provider, especially if you are currently seeing them, you REALLY need to tell your medical physician so he/she can work with the psych provider.

If you had the echo and Holter previously and they were for the same reason, your heart racing, etc., there really shouldn't be a need for another. If this is a new doctor since you had those tests, you should inform him/her that you've already had them so the records can be obtained.

Withholding information from your doctor is not helpful in your care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness