Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 02:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,397,693 times

Advertisements

Everybody's BP is higher when they go for an exam. Docs also know that so they expect some higher readings.

You believed the doctor who told you about the anxiety disorder but not the one who told you about your heart.

Why go to the doctor and spend money on your health at all when you don't trust it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 03:02 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,045,482 times
OP, did you ever think the doctor needs the result from the tests, to know what kind of meds to prescribe to you?

I don't mean that in a smart aleck way. I'm just wondering if that's a factor he's considering. I came across this...

"SSRIs are generally safe for most people. However, in some circumstances they can cause problems. For example, high doses of citalopram may cause dangerous abnormal heart rhythms, so doses over 40 milligrams (mg) a day should be avoided according to the FDA."
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20044825

I didn't look up all the side effects of all the different SSRIs, so I don't know if that's a common side effect or not. But...you see what I mean?

Old 04-01-2021, 10:03 PM

22,308 posts, read 19,277,553 times
you always have the right to decline any care, treatments, or tests.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:13 AM

3,458 posts, read 2,440,487 times
The doctor sees signs of severe distress every time he sees you, and you don't mention that you have a diagnosed anxiety problem. So of course he will need tests to find out what's wrong.

Sort of like if an anorexic goes to the doctor to find out why her bones are so brittle, and doesn't mention that she hasn't more than two tablespoons of oatmeal and 1 raisin per day for the past two months.

If you want APPROPRIATE medical help, you need to be an APPROPRIATE patient. The doctor can work only with what he's given. He has to keep probing until you tell him. You SHOULD have had your other doctor forward your medical records. If you didn't, that's on you.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:50 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I'm 23. I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety. Everytime I go to the doctor for a checkup, my heart rate starts racing because I get nervous. When they take my vitals, they say my heart rate is very fast. My doctor orders me to do an Echo cardiogram and to get hooked up to a 24 hour holter monitor to make sure I have no heart problems.

I feel like doing these procedures are unnecessary because I know my heart is fine, I'm just nervous. My heart rate at home is completely normal. I'm getting tired of wasting my time and money on unnecessary procedures.

I plan on going to my doctor soon for a check up. I haven't had one since August 2019. I don't want my doctor to pull this on me again due to my nerves.

Can I deny doing a test my doctor orders and what is an alternative way for someone with White Coat Syndrome to prove that my heart rate at home is fine?

As others have said, of course you can decline to do the test. My GP has been wanting a colonoscopy for at least the last 5 years. I keep telling her I won't do one because I had a very bad experience from it 15 years ago. It made me sick as a dog for a month. I have health issues so I'm not surprised my body reacted the way it did. We came to a compromise, she would allow me to test my poop and as long as that comes back, no colonoscopy.

I now see another GP in the same practice because mine is a teaching doctor, very hard to get into. The new doctor started in on me with the colonoscopy at my last appointment. She had the test kit sent to my house. I finally did it the other day. I was sleeping last night when they called to say it was positive for something. Of course I forgot to ask what it was positive for.

Quote:
I haven't told my doctor that I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety.

Why haven't you told your doctor you have anxiety issues? You really should have told him that by now. You've been going there long enough to have had that conversation with him.

I'm going to guess that you do not click well with this doctor and suggest you find a new one. Maybe if you had a different, more laid back doctor you wouldn't be so stressed when you see them. I don't know about you but I have to click with my doctors and will drop them if we don't click. If you've been going to men doctors with the same results, I suggest you look for a female doctor and maybe you won't be so stressed out. I prefer female doctors because they understand how different we are then men. Thankfully I haven't seen one with a God complex in years. Some female doctors just have better attitudes then men doctors. I wish I could find a good female dentist.

Quote:
I was first asked to get this done in 2015. I did it again in 2019.

I need to start going to my doctor every year, instead of every few years.

I visited my doctor in 2015, 2018, 2019, and I plan to visit again soon in 2021.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:28 PM

10,580 posts, read 7,797,913 times
Quote:
I'm 23. ..I plan on going to my doctor soon for a check up. ..
Why? Unless you're suffering from some health issues there's no reason to go in for a checkup.

And yes, of course you can refuse any test or medication.

If you're really interested in heart rate, buy a fitbit or similar device that will monitor it and provide feedback.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:18 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,038,107 times
Quote:
I'm 23. I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety. Everytime I go to the doctor for a checkup, my heart rate starts racing because I get nervous. When they take my vitals, they say my heart rate is very fast. My doctor orders me to do an Echo cardiogram and to get hooked up to a 24 hour holter monitor to make sure I have no heart problems.

I feel like doing these procedures are unnecessary because I know my heart is fine, I'm just nervous. My heart rate at home is completely normal. I'm getting tired of wasting my time and money on unnecessary procedures.

I plan on going to my doctor soon for a check up. I haven't had one since August 2019. I don't want my doctor to pull this on me again due to my nerves.

Can I deny doing a test my doctor orders and what is an alternative way for someone with White Coat Syndrome to prove that my heart rate at home is fine?
I'm now in my 60s, so of course my doctor suggests - in addition to the usual mammograms and pelvic exams - now colonoscopies. I'm sort of a "Christian Scientist" when it comes to this stuff and a fatalist. I likely wouldn't do anything about it even if a problem were discovered, so there's no point in my having tests every five minutes. I've explained this to my doctor, absolved him of all responsibility for my fate, and he's cool with it. He continues to ask (without nagging), and I continue to decline (without irritation). It's my life, my body, and my right. HE works for ME. It's your right, too.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:41 PM

3,458 posts, read 2,440,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm now in my 60s, so of course my doctor suggests - in addition to the usual mammograms and pelvic exams - now colonoscopies. I'm sort of a "Christian Scientist" when it comes to this stuff and a fatalist. I likely wouldn't do anything about it even if a problem were discovered, so there's no point in my having tests every five minutes. I've explained this to my doctor, absolved him of all responsibility for my fate, and he's cool with it. He continues to ask (without nagging), and I continue to decline (without irritation). It's my life, my body, and my right. HE works for ME. It's your right, too.
You only need a colonoscopy every 5-10 YEARS. And, during a colonoscopy, they can remove any polyps to prevent trouble down the road.

Personally at age 60 (which I'll be in a month), I'd rather know for sure that I'm healthy, and that any trouble spots are recognized and treated if possible, then find out in a few years that I'm about to spend the next 10 years and every cent I have, and put my entire family under horrible stress and trauma, to treat a painful and debilitating long-term and possibly deadly illness, but I could've prevented it if I had just inconvenienced myself for a day 5 years prior.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:46 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,038,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You only need a colonoscopy every 5-10 YEARS. And, during a colonoscopy, they can remove any polyps to prevent trouble down the road.

Personally at age 60 (which I'll be in a month), I'd rather know for sure that I'm healthy, and that any trouble spots are recognized and treated if possible, then find out in a few years that I'm about to spend the next 10 years and every cent I have, and put my entire family under horrible stress and trauma, to treat a painful and debilitating long-term and possibly deadly illness, but I could've prevented it if I had just inconvenienced myself for a day 5 years prior.
But that's my point: I wouldn't put myself (I don't have family) through the expense and trauma of horrible treatments that almost always fail in the end anyway. So why undergo testing? "Preventative Medicine" isn't really; it's early detection so that you spend even more money and more years of your life in treatments that cause suffering and usually don't prevent death - only prolong it.

Since I wouldn't do anything about it anyway, what I don't know won't hurt me!

Agree or not, the point is: it's my right to refuse testing -- and yours, too.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:52 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
Yes, of course! Good grief. Tell them to buzz off, and leave.
My resting heart rate is in the 40's, BP below 110/70, total cholesterol below 130.
I'm 74, haven't been to a doctor quack for the last 50 years and am healthy for that reason.
The best thing you can do is take good care of yourself, and stay away from the toxic pharma pushers.
That's YOU! What does that have to do with the OP who apparently IS experiencing some things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness