Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 10:36 PM

334 posts, read 264,195 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
I’m a candidate for TKR for both knees and planned on having surgery when I moved to Pittsburgh to be closer to my mom in her eighties. She had a prior knee replacement here and an excellent surgeon who I saw for an initial evaluation and cortisone shots.
Well life intervened, and a few months after I came here, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a year of treatment. After recovering, mom started going downhill and I took care of her until her death. A stressful estate process and then COVID postponed things further. I’m really on “ my last legs” now and called to schedule an appointment with the surgeon. Well guess who decided to retire given the COVID situation? Yes, the excellent surgeon.
So now I have decisions/ choices to make. I can see a different surgeon from the same office whose online reviews seem good and it is an excellent practice. I would stay here for the amount of time it will take for two surgeries and rehabilitations. I have lived here in a place that is handicap accessible which will help.
I don’t have any support here, however, so it will be whomever I hire when I come home.

My dilemma is whether I should just return to the state I moved from (but in a different city) and start the process there.
I found a surgeon’s name online there who is well thought of and affiliated with an excellent facility.
I have a few friends there but I don’t expect them to actively help as they’re employed and have their own family responsibilities. The plus would be that I can restart my life sooner in a place where all the sadness I’ve experienced here is behind me. The downside is relocating with two bad knees and then adjusting to a new home along with all the other relocation changes ( health insurance, drivers licensing, car registration, new doctors in other specialties, etc)

Third choice ( bear with me lol) is to have the first surgery here when COVID settles down. I wasn’t planning on moving back until the pandemic was resolved to an extent anyway so I have an evaluation scheduled next month with the doctor here. After recuperating, it might be easier to relocate and then do the second after the prescribed amount of time in my new location.

With all I’ve been through and my lack of support, I’m feeling a little hesitant to make a decision. It feels overwhelming to approach major surgeries and moves all together.
Any suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks!
Patty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 04:48 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
Hi all:
I’m a candidate for TKR for both knees and planned on having surgery when I moved to Pittsburgh to be closer to my mom in her eighties. She had a prior knee replacement here and an excellent surgeon who I saw for an initial evaluation and cortisone shots.
Well life intervened, and a few months after I came here, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a year of treatment. After recovering, mom started going downhill and I took care of her until her death. A stressful estate process and then COVID postponed things further. I’m really on “ my last legs” now and called to schedule an appointment with the surgeon. Well guess who decided to retire given the COVID situation? Yes, the excellent surgeon.
So now I have decisions/ choices to make. I can see a different surgeon from the same office whose online reviews seem good and it is an excellent practice. I would stay here for the amount of time it will take for two surgeries and rehabilitations. I have lived here in a place that is handicap accessible which will help.
I don’t have any support here, however, so it will be whomever I hire when I come home.

My dilemma is whether I should just return to the state I moved from (but in a different city) and start the process there.
I found a surgeon’s name online there who is well thought of and affiliated with an excellent facility.
I have a few friends there but I don’t expect them to actively help as they’re employed and have their own family responsibilities. The plus would be that I can restart my life sooner in a place where all the sadness I’ve experienced here is behind me. The downside is relocating with two bad knees and then adjusting to a new home along with all the other relocation changes ( health insurance, drivers licensing, car registration, new doctors in other specialties, etc)

Third choice ( bear with me lol) is to have the first surgery here when COVID settles down. I wasn’t planning on moving back until the pandemic was resolved to an extent anyway so I have an evaluation scheduled next month with the doctor here. After recuperating, it might be easier to relocate and then do the second after the prescribed amount of time in my new location.

With all I’ve been through and my lack of support, I’m feeling a little hesitant to make a decision. It feels overwhelming to approach major surgeries and moves all together.
Any suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks!
Patty

What state is where "home" is? That's the question.

There should be plenty of qualified surgeons in Pittsburgh. I'm in South NJ, when my hub had an unknown cancer, we went to Thomas Jefferson in Philly because Philly doctors are on par with NY doctors. I knew his chances of survival were better in Philly then staying in South Jersey. You're far away from Philly.

I personally would do both knees in Pittsburgh, especially if the 1st knee turns out well. While a lot of doctors do great things with knees, you're better off staying to have the same surgeon do both.

Right now real estate prices in some states are through the roof due to lack of people selling due to COVID. I don't know how the rental market is due to a lot of states having a rent moratorium where landlords can't kick out unpaying renters, so rentals may be scarce.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:49 AM

904 posts, read 667,204 times
I only had 1 knee replaced 2 weeks ago. Whatever you decide, try to get the Robotic assisted surgery. I never had any pain. I quit using my walker after 1 day. I feel so good and recovery is going well. I realize having both knees is a rougher surgery. Wish you the best.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What state is where "home" is? That's the question.

There should be plenty of qualified surgeons in Pittsburgh. I'm in South NJ, when my hub had an unknown cancer, we went to Thomas Jefferson in Philly because Philly doctors are on par with NY doctors. I knew his chances of survival were better in Philly then staying in South Jersey. You're far away from Philly.

I personally would do both knees in Pittsburgh, especially if the 1st knee turns out well. While a lot of doctors do great things with knees, you're better off staying to have the same surgeon do both.

Right now real estate prices in some states are through the roof due to lack of people selling due to COVID. I don't know how the rental market is due to a lot of states having a rent moratorium where landlords can't kick out unpaying renters, so rentals may be scarce.
“Home” would be Connecticut and doctors at Yale-New Haven Hospital, which is highly ranked.
I may also be able to access care at The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC which is ranked #1 for knee replacement in the country.
In terms of housing, you’re right- it’s an issue. Low inventory and inflated prices. New luxury apartment communities are springing up In Ct., but at much higher monthly rents that what I’m paying where I am. Significantly higher.

Pittsburgh has a lot to offer medically and the hospital the surgeon I chose practices in is also nationally ranked (UPMC Shadyside). My insurance plan also covers The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, which is about an hour and a half away. Also nationally ranked.
I agree that if the first one went well, I’d want to stay and do the second here with the same surgeon. I know they wait at least nine months to a year between surgeries so I would be here another two years which keeps me stuck in a place with bad memories. I guess I could travel back to Ct. in between surgeries to visit. Overall, it would be less stress to stay put.

I’m hoping meeting the surgeon here helps me make a decision. I know that the surgeon I chose for my breast cancer treatment (after getting a second and third opinion) made all the difference in my experience.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:48 AM

I will ask about robotic assisted Surgery— Thsnk you. I wouldn’t do both knees at once. I can’t even imagine.
Glad you’ve done so well! That’s so encouraging.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
When I wanted to relocate from an area I lived for a very long time and had roots, I had to decide whether to have a surgery there or wait until I moved. I chose to stay where I was and was familiar with everything, had friends around, etc. and it was definitely the right choice for me, and I too had a boatload of bad memories there. I recovered the year after the surgery, then I to moved and everything went well. Moving is so very difficult and stressful. I’ve now lived in my new location for about a year and might be facing knee surgery too but I’m at least settled, familiar with the medical care here which is challenging in itself. I would suggest possibly have one knee done in Pittsburgh and hold off on the second one as long as you can so you can make your move. I’m sure you’ll find another great surgeon and you won’t feel like you’re completely giving up another year of your life.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:17 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
“Home” would be Connecticut and doctors at Yale-New Haven Hospital, which is highly ranked.
I may also be able to access care at The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC which is ranked #1 for knee replacement in the country.
In terms of housing, you’re right- it’s an issue. Low inventory and inflated prices. New luxury apartment communities are springing up In Ct., but at much higher monthly rents that what I’m paying where I am. Significantly higher.

Pittsburgh has a lot to offer medically and the hospital the surgeon I chose practices in is also nationally ranked (UPMC Shadyside). My insurance plan also covers The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, which is about an hour and a half away. Also nationally ranked.
I agree that if the first one went well, I’d want to stay and do the second here with the same surgeon. I know they wait at least nine months to a year between surgeries so I would be here another two years which keeps me stuck in a place with bad memories. I guess I could travel back to Ct. in between surgeries to visit. Overall, it would be less stress to stay put.

I’m hoping meeting the surgeon here helps me make a decision. I know that the surgeon I chose for my breast cancer treatment (after getting a second and third opinion) made all the difference in my experience.

My hubs niece went to Cleveland for heart issues plus some other issue from NJ. Hubs mother, 2 sisters and a brother live out in Ohio. I'm not sure why she picked Cleveland when we have doctors that are just as good, if not better in Philly and NY then driving way out there. I can't see going that far away to have your knee done when Pittsburgh has great doctors.

With the housing situation due to COVID, it will probably last another 2 years, it could be longer. Houses near me that were originally in the $400's, were going for $285 to $350. My realtor friend just told me that a house she sold here went for over $450, so prices are back to when we bought in 2008. Prices would be another vote to stay where you are, or you can reevaluate after having the 1st one done.

I know about staying where there are bad memories. My old house was like that due to my dad moving 7 blocks from me, then all of our plans ruined by terminal leukemia. I ended up needing a big back surgery a few months after my dad passed. I was down about 8 months, was not able to drive either but I did what I had to do because I could barely walk, I had metal rubbing bone. While I was having surgery, my mother listed my dads house. We put a full price offer in which they refused. I had drama with my mother and 2 siblings who were working my mother like a puppet. At one point she said ok, we could buy the house if no offers. On the last day of the listing, she got an offer. She didn't ask if we'd counter, so I lost being able to buy it.

At that point, I had to move due to the drama, even though it was my home for 10 years, my hub owned the house almost 30 years. Back then I didn't know where we were moving if we didn't buy my dads house, I didn't have a plan B. We then ended up coming 30 minutes from Philly which would have been the better place for me to have back surgery. Moving did save my hubs life when he was diagnosed with stage 4 tonsil cancer a year after we moved so things happen for a reason.

Right now, you're probably stuck there, so you may as well make use of the time and do at least one knee, take it from there. If you're meant to be home for the 2nd knee, it will happen. If not, at least you'll know your surgeon and what you're in for with recovery.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:38 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post

I only had 1 knee replaced 2 weeks ago. Whatever you decide, try to get the Robotic assisted surgery. I never had any pain. I quit using my walker after 1 day. I feel so good and recovery is going well. I realize having both knees is a rougher surgery. Wish you the best.
I've never heard of anyone NOT having pain after knee replacement surgery!

That is astounding. Maybe others have heard of a painless knee replacement surgery.

Many or at least some people need to go and stay/reside in a rehab facility for a number of days after the surgery.

After surgery, did you have physical therapy at an out-patient physical therapy place or in your home with a physical therapist coming to your personal home?

Old 04-25-2021, 10:38 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I've never heard of anyone NOT having pain after knee replacement surgery!

That is astounding. Maybe others have heard of a painless knee replacement surgery.

Many or at least some people need to go and stay/reside in a rehab facility for a number of days after the surgery.

After surgery, did you have physical therapy at an out-patient physical therapy place or in your home with a physical therapist coming to your personal home?
My sister had very little pain. Minor for a day.

I believe the difference was that the surgeon replaced her knee without cutting muscle.

Several of her friends who had traditional surgeries had a much harder/longer recovery.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Its possible they performed nerve ablation beforehand although I don't think that's common practice, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness