Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 05:29 PM

525 posts, read 339,200 times

Advertisements

I have to do a 24 hour urine test and take it back to them. What can I use other than a refrigerator to store it in that will be kept cool for over a day the whole time and I can put it in the car to take it back so it will remain cool the whole time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 05:58 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I have to do a 24 hour urine test and take it back to them. What can I use other than a refrigerator to store it in that will be kept cool for over a day the whole time and I can put it in the car to take it back so it will remain cool the whole time?

The 1st thing that popped into my head is buying one of those cheap styrafoam coolers at the 99 Cent Store & pack w/ some ice & keep the cup of urine inside a good ziplock bag in there in your bathroom & on the car ride back to them. Maybe make 2 samples if you can in case something goes wrong w/ the 1st one.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:09 PM

525 posts, read 339,200 times
Never used a cooler before. Will it always keep my urine cool even after 24 hours? I need one that doesn't require any ice to keep it cool since it will eventually melt...

Old 04-27-2021, 08:06 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
According to LabCorp
"The 24-hour urine specimen should be submitted in a chemically clean, properly labeled urine container provided by LabCorp. (Patients should not be allowed to submit urine specimens in their own “clean” jars.) The laboratory adds required preservatives or supplies the proper preservative with the container."

You should be given proper containers for urine samples and a cooler to store them.

If you don't have such container, you can use a Coleman cooler filled with ice or a lunch cooler with ice packs. The loose ice won't melt if you open it briefly. Drain any accumulated water and add ice. Or use ziplock bags for the ice.

https://www.labcorp.com/resource/urine-specimens

Is that your first 24hrs test? Did you get detailed instruction how to collect the samples? The above link will explain some of the rules.

Last edited by elnina; 04-27-2021 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 08:19 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,057 times
Quote:
Depending on the test some preservatives are added to the containers while others do not require preservatives. One should put it in the refrigerator or placed on ice to keep cool. If you don't then bacteria will multiply every 20 minutes until it stinks.

To start the collection empty the blood and note the time. Collect urine all the way up to 24 hours and at 24 hour mark empty your bladder into the container. The total volume has to be measured by the lab so don't miss a collection. We can tell based on the total creatinine concentration if it is only a partial collection that was submitted.

Because of problems of compliance with 24 hour collections most tests are now done with random urine samples and obtaining ratio's with creatinine to compensate with hydration status. There's a few rare exceptions where one still wants a 24 hour collection.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:59 PM

17,551 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:

Ask your doctor's office

Old 04-28-2021, 04:59 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Ask your doctor's office
That's too much common sense

Old 04-28-2021, 07:37 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
Never used a cooler before. Will it always keep my urine cool even after 24 hours? I need one that doesn't require any ice to keep it cool since it will eventually melt...

I personally never had to do this before, so hopefully the posters after me had better ideas.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:27 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
When I have a test or procedure, my doctors will give me a document telling me precisely what I need to do for preparation. You likely got the same thing -- and I'm sure your doctor's office can give you another copy if you've misplaced it. That will be a more reliable source of information than a bunch of people you don't know on the internet.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:48 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
A solidly frozen gel pack or larger block of ice will stay frozen longer than loose ice cubes or crushed ice. The larger the mass of frozen material the longer it will take to thaw out. A single larger frozen block has a smaller surface area that gets exposed to warm air. You will need to make sure whatever cooler you get will accommodate the ice pack/block ice as well as your specimen jars. A tiny cooler won't stay as cold as a larger one with more frozen contents. The contents keep the cooler cold not the other way around.

Summer's on the way. Stores are stocking picnic/camping supplies. You should be able to find hard sided or styrofoam picnic coolers at a supermarket, larger pharmacy, general merchandise store (KMart, Walmart, etc), or a sporting goods store. Soft sided fabric coolers don't stay cold nearly as well. If a store stocks coolers they probably also have ice packs. Some stores may sell pre-frozen ones; check the frozen food isles. If they don't, they should at least have unfrozen packs so you'll need to plan ahead and freeze them (at least overnight) before use. Call stores in your area ahead and ask. Another tip...chill the cooler before putting everything inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness