Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:21 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,778,789 times

Advertisements

I'm fully vaccinated (Pfizer) but my wife is very hesitant, and if she doesn't get the shot we might not be able to go on vacation. She's afraid of long-term neurological damage since it's such a new vaccine. I explained to her that the long-term damage of COVID-19 also isn't know so it's the "lesser of two evils". If anyone has any scientific information to share, I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-04-2021, 07:36 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
How many people does she think are involved in ordinary vaccine trials and over how long a period? Compare that to how many people have already been given this vaccine and the length of time since the first trials started and the rate of neurological issues proven to be caused by those vaccinations. I'm guessing nothing you say will change anything. It's rare to see someone change their mind after being convinced by well-presented Facebook propaganda.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:56 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Are vaccines required for your trip? We have family members that have been traveling for the past year that haven't been vaccinated yet.

Maybe she's like a lot of us who are just waiting a bit longer.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:22 AM

289 posts, read 489,382 times
Getvaccineanswers.org

Acknowledge her fears, don’t downplay them, then ask if you could pass along some info about the vaccine to help her make up her mind.

I initially had reservations because I had an autoimmune response to a shot as a child that lasted off and on for years. This did not make me anti-vax— I strongly believe in shots and had my kids immunized— but I wondered about long-term effects of a shot that had just been developed. I decided to go ahead and get the shot because the bad effects of getting COVID were worse in my mind than potential problems from the shot. (Not just the chance of mortality, but all these long-term effects of COVID long haulers.) In addition, I would be helping to build herd immunity, and have less of a chance of exposing my loved ones to COVID .... even the ones that are vaccinated have a small chance of getting it.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:33 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,778,789 times
Thanks. She's not an anti-vaxer herself and we are planning a cruise from the Bahamas (requires a vaccine).

Old 05-04-2021, 08:49 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Well, it sounds like she's aware that:

No vaccine = Don't get to go on the trip

So, no need to try to convince/push her. She's a grown adult w/ her own mind. I personally understand her hesitancy. Does she have any underlying health conditions at all in which she's wary about taking the vaccine? Even if she doesn't, I still completely understand.

Sure, I'd love to travel too, but I'm willing to wait because I'm not planning to vaccinate any time soon either. Heck, I was all set to go on my DREAM/BUCKETLIST trip to the 2020 Summer Olympics in Japan, which 1st got postponed, then they no longer allowed any foreigners, just native people to attend. Am I disappointed? Definintely, but I still don't want to travel anywhere else anytime soon yet...whether vaccinating's madatory or not.

And of course, there's always sad occurrences like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJA1xdRHnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wosyaWiDR2U

Last edited by Forever Blue; 05-04-2021 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-04-2021, 10:18 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm fully vaccinated (Pfizer) but my wife is very hesitant, and if she doesn't get the shot we might not be able to go on vacation. She's afraid of long-term neurological damage since it's such a new vaccine.
Who planted this idea in her brain? The anti-vaxxers love spreading these tales about long-term damage since no one can disprove it without the use of a time machine.

Quote:
I explained to her that the long-term damage of COVID-19 also isn't know so it's the "lesser of two evils". If anyone has any scientific information to share, I would greatly appreciate it!
You mean the vaccine is the lesser of two evils. I wouldn't call it that, quite the opposite. The vaccine is what allows us to get back to a full life. We eat out, we go into as many stores as we like and shop, we see other people who are also vaccinated, we have doctor and dentist appointments...even surgery.

I guess she wants to stay home and cower in fear over an imaginary bogeyman. My frank advice to you is to go on vacation with your buddies. Enjoy yourself. Take your dive gear.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:29 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Your wife is a grown woman. You shouldn't be trying to convince her of anything.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:35 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,829 times
She has the right to bodily autonomy and to decide for herself. I decided for my self and got it. So did you. let her decide for herself. If it means she misses her vacation then she misses it.

She is not stupid or buying into propaganda. She is exercising caution just as we have all been told to do for the last year. She was told to stay home and protect herself. Now everyone is telling her to not listen to her instincts in order to take a vaccine she has no faith or trust in which is the opposite of exercising caution.

We have all cowered in our homes for over a year fearing a boogeyman, she is now choosing a different boogeyman. That doesnt make her a bad person or wrong.

And Florida and Texas and South Dakota, Alaska, North Dakota, Mississippi and a bunch of other states do not have mask mandates and no vaccine requirements and a lot of people are living their normal lives. And the world hasnt ended.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:38 AM

867 posts, read 721,639 times
Does she have a doctor she sees regularly? She might trust advice from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness