Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 02:53 AM

12 posts, read 13,523 times

Advertisements

Just curious, has anyone taking antibiotics while on their period before? Like they started taking yesterday and then today period come, and they still have to take it to finish the course. (example like 5 days or 7 days course) and it just happen to fall into the days you on your period.

I asked because I was wondering if the kidneys able to push the half life time of these drugs out of your body while you on your period. I mean kidneys are kidneys, they should do their job even when you on your period right?

Ugh... I just hate antibiotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 06:03 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
Your period is a completely different system of your body. Your kidneys are a part of your renal system and help filter waste and break down the antibiotics. Your liver (which will also work in the breakdown of antibiotics) are part of your digestive system and will help filter waste. Your uterus and ovaries are part of the reproductive system and unless youre putting the antibiotics in your v*gina, there is nothing your kidneys have to do with your period.

Your period is just your body shedding the lining of your uterus that was unused this month. There is some evidence that antibiotics can affect your period by making it late and other things but your period should no affect your bodies ability to process the antibiotics. Take an iron supplement if youre worried about having less blood to circulate the medication but your blood volume should go up during your period to compensate. I wouldnt worry

Old 05-05-2021, 02:42 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcup View Post
Just curious, has anyone taking antibiotics while on their period before? Like they started taking yesterday and then today period come, and they still have to take it to finish the course. (example like 5 days or 7 days course) and it just happen to fall into the days you on your period.

I asked because I was wondering if the kidneys able to push the half life time of these drugs out of your body while you on your period. I mean kidneys are kidneys, they should do their job even when you on your period right?

To answer your original question, yes I have. If this really was a concern, don't you think the MD prescribing the antibiotic would be asking you when you were due to start your period while planning a course of treatment?

As already stated, the two physiological "processes" aren't directly related. Suggest reviewing female biology 101. Think about this logically for a moment. If human kidney function was "compromised" to such a degree by a normal, recurring 28-day hormonal cycle females would probably not be healthy enough to bear young. Given the human population of the planet, that doesn't seem to be a problem does it?

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-05-2021 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-05-2021, 02:49 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Your period is a completely different system of your body. Your kidneys are a part of your renal system and help filter waste and break down the antibiotics. Your liver (which will also work in the breakdown of antibiotics) are part of your digestive system and will help filter waste. Your uterus and ovaries are part of the reproductive system and unless youre putting the antibiotics in your v*gina, there is nothing your kidneys have to do with your period.

Your period is just your body shedding the lining of your uterus that was unused this month. There is some evidence that antibiotics can affect your period by making it late and other things but your period should no affect your bodies ability to process the antibiotics. Take an iron supplement if youre worried about having less blood to circulate the medication but your blood volume should go up during your period to compensate. I wouldnt worry
Yeah... and even if you're putting antibiotics in your vagina, it still won't impact your kidneys. Or your period. But you might consider probiotics to get your good microbial flora back (regardless of how you take the medicine).

IF you are taking the drug commonly prescribed for TB, it could mess up your birth control. And honestly, if that were the case, it sounds like you won't be taking them during ovulation anyway.

https://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-cont...-control-pills

Old 05-05-2021, 02:55 PM

424 posts, read 175,796 times
As everyone has said, your kidneys have nothing to do with your period.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:49 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Venture to guess: Any female who gets periods and has taken antibiotics has been on it during.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:59 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcup View Post

What, pray tell, do kidneys have to do with periods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness