Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 03:05 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times

Advertisements

BTW The same EXACT Blood Pressure devices on Amazonia are EVEN Cheaper on eBay....

There we go, TeleMeds and TeleDevices . . . . .and your advertising foo free !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 03:05 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Vitamin D does play a role in host immunity but host immunity by itself can't fend off all infectious agents. Look at the black plaque. Look at HIV. Look at any deadly infectious agent like Ebola. Pathogens evade host immunity ie they evade vitamin D based immunity. To make an assumption that vitamin D is a world changer is bizarre.
Who made that assumption? You seem to be assuming assumptions.

My video doc was referring to the studies.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:08 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
You did not have hypertension. Trending up can trend down. Peoples blood pressure is generally all over the place and by who does it and where it is done. The context that I was talking about is blood pressure testing at the doctors office and thus use that as an explanation for a face to face meeting rather than a Telemedicine computer session. You were having your own daily at home readings thus that point is moot in having to go to a doctor to check it.
Was I supposed to wait until I was actually diagnosed with hypertension? The reason I go in for regular checkups is to detect problems and make corrections before they become acute.

That's what "maintenance" is supposed to do. There is where your entire misapprehension appears to be.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:14 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Was I supposed to wait until I was actually diagnosed with hypertension? The reason I go in for regular checkups is to detect problems and make corrections before they become acute.

That's what "maintenance" is supposed to do. There is where your entire misapprehension appears to be.
The original context was with regards to annual physicals in people who are "healthy" and the value of taking a single blood pressure reading during that one annual visit. Such annual visits were outdated based on the studies showing no difference in outcomes if it were one year or several years for the visit. If a person has symptoms then they should see a doctor. However, early on high blood pressure does not have symptoms by itself. That was known at the time and the recommendations were still changed to get rid of the annual physical for people deemed healthy.

There are regular visits which are "monitoring" or as you call them maintenance visits where the person has health issue like being overweight or other health issues. That is not what we are talking about but being overweight can lead to high blood pressure and people love to it and there is lots of people overweight. People will continue to over eat regardless of blood pressure. Not all high blood pressure is due to being overweight.

The topic changed to what was the best way to check for blood pressure and most concluded that home reading were valuable rather than a doctors visit solely for the BP check.

The other topic dealt with what constitutes an office visit with regards to insurance requirements and they have their standards that are required which included hands on vitals. There's state board regulations also requiring hands on evaluation when diagnosing etc. Because of those two facts there were state regulatory changes for the alliance of Telemedicine to take place waiving the face to face hands on aspect.

My position was that the trend based on technology will allow for less hands to hands in the future and it will be up to the doctor to determine when your body is needed in person.

We have endoscopy where they use can take out your appendix using a camera. There is robotic surgery where camera and imaging is used. I would rather than an MRI than to have a doctor palpate my abdomen. There are other things more accurate than having a doctor look down your throat or listen to your heart. The old ways are to save money and not for more accuracy.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:50 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When repeated measurements showed my blood pressure trending upward, it certainly did change my behavior...and I corrected the problem.

In the same way, tracking the results of my blood tests has certainly changed my behavior, and I've corrected problems.

Of course, some people don't pay attention when warning lights start blinking on their automobile dashboards...but some do. Just because some people run out of gas isn't a reason to remove the fuel gauges.

In my experience with "teledocs" over the last year, it certainly hasn't saved me any time...I spend just as much time hanging on the computer waiting for my doctor to show up as I did driving to his office and sitting in his waiting room. It can't be saving him any time because he doesn't spend any more or less time with me either way.
As I see it the entire purpose for monitoring blood pressure ( or anything else for that matter) is to see IF any interventional behavior is needed, and to make those changes as needed. There would be no point in monitoring otherwise. That's just common sense.

I have no experience with teledocs. The docs I see want face to face visits, albeit at this point with masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness