Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 02:42 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

As the two have become significant in my family lately, and since there doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread to the subjects, I thought I'd start one to pool all information together in one location.

The focus of discussion could include the symptoms and side effects of either, when contracted, how it affects one personally and/or with others, and anything that might help with recovery.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-07-2021 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 02:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
As long as it doesn't turn into a VACCINE debate/fight.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:58 PM

Some relevant background details:

1) I had chickenpox as a child, and didn't realize it could come back as shingles. So this is partly to bring awareness to that. And in my 50's, I'd certainly be eligible for the shingles vaccination, which might have prevented a recent outbreak.

2) Shingles is more contagious than seems to be described or mentioned online. With the shingles diagnosis, the doctor's office said not to handle any infants (we have a young granddaughter). But even not holding or even going near her, she still contracted the chickenpox. So this is to bring awareness to how easily it can be spread (even by air?)

Old 05-07-2021, 03:49 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
ha.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:49 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Some relevant background details:

1) I had chickenpox as a child, and didn't realize it could come back as shingles. So this is partly to bring awareness to that. And in my 50's, I'd certainly be eligible for the shingles vaccination, which might have prevented a recent outbreak.

2) Shingles is more contagious than seems to be described or mentioned online. With the shingles diagnosis, the doctor's office said not to handle any infants (we have a young granddaughter). But even not holding or even going near her, she still contracted the chickenpox. So this is to bring awareness to how easily it can be spread (even by air?)
The Varicella zoster virus is widespread in the community. Your granddaughter didn't necessarily end up getting it because of your shingles, but that can't be ruled out. If you spent time in their house and touched surfaces, transmission could happen. Her parents, even she could have been exposed to it in multiple ways.

FWIW, I've also had shingles and received the same warning about touching or spending time in close contact with infants or other immune-suppressed people while the outbreak lasted.

To add more facts to the discussion:

https://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/transmission.html

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/c...fact_sheet.htm

Old 05-08-2021, 04:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I had chicken pox as a child.

When I was about 55, my dad and my mother in law both got shingles. So when I got it a year or so later, I knew immediately that was what it was. Actually the day or two before, my left hip hurt, like deep down inside. It hurt so badly and so weirdly that I actually wondered if I had bone cancer! It hurt so much that any clothing touching it began to hurt it, and that's when I began to suspect I had shingles. The next morning, I woke up and had only three, but in a line around the left side of my midriff, itchy spots. I called my husband and said, "I have shingles. I'm going in to the doctor and see if we can catch this early." My doctor said "I think we caught it early enough for meds to be very effective," and they were. I had symptoms for about a week, and then they were gone. I don't recall the exact meds but I do think one of them was a shot in my hip and the other was gabapentin or something similar, and then I think there was one more because it seems like I took two pills for about a week and then just didn't need them anymore.

I felt really lucky because my dad had his on his head and down the side of his neck and it was very painful. And my MIL had hers on the side of her head and into her eye and it lasted for weeks and was also very painful.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:47 PM

922 posts, read 791,884 times
When my mother got shingles, she came into my room one night, and in her typical drama queen/pathetic martyr way, she said look at this and lifted up her shirt. I was horrified! There were huge, bright red splotches all over her back and sides. I am sure it could have been less widespread if she had done something about it when she first noticed it, but that wouldn't have had the shock value I am sure she was going for.

As far a myself, I got the shingles vaccine a couple of years ago, and so far so good.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:03 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
My brother in-law had the shingles vaccine and is still plagued by shingles usually in different places,very painful,age now 90 and doctors have tried to figure it out with tests from A-Z.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:11 PM

Getting the shingles outbreak treated quickly is extremely important, as I found out. I probably should have gotten into the doctor at least a day earlier, to get the antiviral medicine Valacyclovir. It's crazy how damaging the virus is to the nerves. Sure, the skin will have an outbreak with rash and blisters, but the damage to the nerves is what can stay with you and haunt you. If you know what to look for with the rash - the first outward sign - you can stop the damage much sooner, and protect your nerves.

To again highlight, having chickenpox can lead to shingles personally. And having shingles can make you contagious to others - especially children - to catch chickenpox (especially if before a year old, before they can get the vaccination). So it can go in both directions.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-11-2021 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 04:08 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Getting the shingles outbreak treated quickly is extremely important, as I found out. I probably should have gotten into the doctor at least a day earlier, to get the antiviral medicine Valacyclovir. It's crazy how damaging the virus is to the nerves. Sure, the skin will have an outbreak with rash and blisters, but the damage to the nerves is what can stay with you and haunt you. If you know what to look for with the rash - the first outward sign - you can stop the damage much sooner, and protect your nerves.

To again highlight, having chickenpox can lead to shingles personally. And having shingles can make you contagious to others - especially children - to catch chickenpox (especially if before a year old, before they can get the vaccination). So it can go in both directions.

Where was your shingles located? Have you gotten the shingles vaccine yet? If not, you should consider it so that you don't get shingles twice which can be pretty rare, but you're better off with the vaccine because the 2nd round can give a massive punch to your body. You may end up with nerve damage that you'll pretty much die with.

I tried to get the vaccine at 50 because I have immune issues, I had a huge feeling that I would get shingles. They would not give me the vaccine, said I was too young. Apparently it was the 1st vaccine, so I dodged a bullet here, because I'd still need to get the newer shingrex vaccine.

I was 51. Having a bad year medically. They'd found a few spots in my lungs that they were watching for lung cancer. I was also dealing with my body fighting the type of HPV that causes female cancers. My hub had an HPV+ tonsil cancer, so I knew it was just a matter of time before I had that HPV. Thankfully women can be checked for it, men can't. Thankfully, the test came up clean finally.

I had a car accident that affected my shoulder and made my lower back problems worst. I also was sick off and on. Some how I lost 30 pounds that I didn't need to lose. No clue why I lost the weight. All of my blood work was good.

Then August comes, woke up with a few bumps around my right eye and in my head. Had a massive headache which I never have. Made a doctor appointment because the bumps were on my eye lashes. Good thing I made the appointment when I did to get on the meds ASAP because they said I could have lost my eye. They sent me to a special eye doctor who said my eye was clear.

I waited about 2 years before getting the vaccine, mostly because I was undecided whether I was going to get it or not, plus it was out of stock at a lot of places. I also found out there was a newer vaccine. I never get injected with anything new, so I had to research it. I can here, hit up every shingles vaccine thread I could find. I weighed the side effects and how well it worked. Seems like the 1st one had bad odds, the newer one was better.

After being in the shingles vaccine threads, I decided I would do it. I tried getting it at 3 pharmacies, the pharmacist that does them was out at my main pharmacy. The computers were down at pharmacy number 2 so I couldn't get it that day and the 3rd try, they were out of vaccine.

I have a lot of medication allergies, I decided that my guardian angel was trying to tell me to not get it. I didn't listen, I decided to ask at my main pharmacy the next month, that would be the deciding vote whether I got it or not. Pharmacist was there and he had it in stock so I got it. It almost closed my throat. Thankfully I had Benadryl on me. That one shot kicked my butt. I can't have the 2nd one because I may not be so lucky with being able to save my airway. GP said the risks don't outweigh the benefit. Hopefully one shot and shingles once will protect me from having it again. I also had side effects for a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness