Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you sit or "hover" on a public toilet seat?
Always sit 13 21.67%
Sit but use paper cover 12 20.00%
Sit but wipe off 2 3.33%
Depends on condition 22 36.67%
Always/usually hover 7 11.67%
Depends on what function I have to do at the time 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2021, 06:32 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,605,625 times

Advertisements

Putting in health because I don't know where else to put it. My wife is about the only woman I know who will admit to (usually) sitting directly on a public toilet seat. She is a firm believer that of all the stuff going on, this is NOT how you're going to get sick.

She does carry wipes in her purse and will wipe the seat off if it doesn't appear clean, and she will hover at a particularly nasty location like a port-a-potty or gas station, but usually if it's an overall clean bathroom, she just plops down and does her thing. I do the same (as most men do). She likes to point out that you're more likely to pick up something on just about any other surface in that bathroom than the seat.

*For men/penis-owners, answer assuming you're doing something requiring you to use the actual toilet so presumably #2, for women/non-penis-owners, you can assume it's for all functions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 08:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,703,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
Vagina-owner here. I sit unless it’s visibly dirty, but I used to hover. Around ten years ago, I realized it was pointless and will sit unless it’s filthy. It does depend on where I am, though. A concert portapotty? I’ll hover. A clean office bathroom? I sit..

If people (especially women) would just sit, there wouldn’t be pee, poop (or blood) on the seat. I also often wipe it off first. Much easier to get business done if I am not trying to levitate my ass 2 inches above the seat!
Yes, I agree. Most of the problems come because women insist on hovering and then don’t clean up after themselves when they miss. I will usually wipe the seat off and sit, unless it is so disgusting that I don’t feel comfortable with that. Usually that is in portapotty situations or very marginal restrooms- or the weird unisex public toilets that have no seat.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:02 AM

3,465 posts, read 2,454,058 times
I sit, almost always. If there's only ONE toilet available (a single-person bathroom or porta-potty) and it's dirty, I'll wad up some paper, wipe the seat down, then wash my hands, then get more paper and put that neatly on the seat, then sit. I ALWAYS carry wetnaps in my purse, so even if there's no sink, I can clean my hands (not sanitize - just clean).

I figure - there's very little in life I haven't been exposed to at one point or another. I used to play in (and with) dirt and mud. I've picked up poisonous frogs without realizing they were poisonous. I've had chicken pox. I, like most adults, have had HPV (it's been dormant since 1989). I had some weird pork disease once a million years ago, I had CMV, I've been exposed to Mono, and so on and so forth. If I haven't caught it yet, I probably won't ever catch it. So I don't obsess.

The only time I squat is if there's no toilet seat at all. Like - in the woods. I'm just grateful that at age 60, I can still squat without tipping over.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:43 AM

734 posts, read 608,994 times
Woman who "hover" and leave pee on the seat are the worst. At least if you're going to do that, lift the damn seat ring. Don't be a jerk.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:34 AM

417 posts, read 247,603 times
Guy here, but i avoid all public restrooms, if possible. Though, I guess we do have an advantage over women because we don't always have to sit down.......

Old 08-24-2021, 11:02 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,318,730 times
You need a new choice: "never use for sit-down functions unless dire emergency"

Then I use a TP barrier. If the person before me hovered, I just leave and suffer the consequences. Give me a break.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:48 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,064,641 times
Guy here.

for #1, I dont have to sit so I never do
for #2, strongly inclinded never to use public restrooms, especially since the pandemic many are closed. Places like fast food or starbucks have converted to drive-thru only - literally most of your choices have disappeared from the cityscape.

havent been into work for... 18 months now? 99% of the time I am at home, even retail shopping is within 2 miles of home, so it can wait till I'm home again. On a weekend, where I might journey an hour away, so go before you go and once again when you get home.

I havent used a port-a-potty since I ran a 5K in 2018. I still grimmace at the memory of the smell.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,132,209 times
I sit since I have no choice (disabled), but I have clorox wipes that I use first (I also use a disposable glove) and wait for it to dry (it does quickly).

When I am finished and back in my chair I use another wipe for the next person. Since I have to use the handicap stall there are times when a child makes a mess that doesn't get cleaned up.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:03 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,610,852 times
If it's a unisex bathroom, so that men use it, too, that's always a place I'll use a cover or hover. If it's female-only, I use the following rules.

If I'm in a hurry and barely making it there, I may plop down right away. Otherwise, if the place is clean, evidence it's cleaned regularly & even disinfected these days, I'll use a cover. If there is no cover, I'll probably sit down, esp if I'm familiar w/the place (a movie theater I've been to before).

If the place is gross or a service station, I definitely hover. No way will I sit down.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:09 PM

9,495 posts, read 5,277,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Woman who "hover" and leave pee on the seat are the worst. At least if you're going to do that, lift the damn seat ring. Don't be a jerk.
or wipe the seat off when you are done peeing all over it. This used to happen at one of my workplaces all.the.time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness