Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 06:39 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

I have joked that I could significantly supplement my income if I asked for maximum scrips and took all my leftovers to 6th street, here in Austin, Texas.
Man, I need to move over there then! I'd like some tylenol 3 to help with my back once in awhile--an eighth of a tablet works wonderfully (though now with physical therapy and visits to the chiropractor I haven't had a flare up in like a few months which is awesome, so hopefully I won't ever be in that kind of pain again!), but the doctors around here treat you like a drug seeker (as in seeking to abuse them) when you mention something like that. It's a real "pain".

But yeah, medical professionals really need to respect a patient's decision regarding treatment possibilities for their own pain and what they wish to avoid. I was prescribed hydrocodone/apap when I had my wisdom teeth removed, but didn't touch them--excedrin worked well enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 06:59 PM

62 posts, read 36,935 times
You also need to always watch for mistakes in the doctors orders. This is not an option. In some cases, you should contact them immediately but in the case of narcotic prescriptions, the first thing to do is refuse them and/or not pick them up in cases where they could cause injury or death. If you have refused to pick these up for a friend, family member or patient, you need to explain this refusal to the patient as long as they can understand. If they have other meds then it might be good to contact the doctor to find out what pain killing alternatives would be safe and not counter-react with their meds.

Be prepared for a back lash since not everyone agrees that narcotic prescriptions are dangerous and some think this is propaganda.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:42 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Pain is HORRIBLE.

So, I really think there should be way more research into pain relief. Because to me there should be a middle ground between NSAIDs and opiates. Just for people who can’t take opiates.
I think so too, about the research I mean, but I’ll point out that there is a good middle ground between NSAIDs and opiates and that is cannabis and I have my appt tomorrow to get my medical cannabis card. I’m in a state where recreational is legal but this will knock off the high taxes and I will now have access to “the good stuff,” aka RSO, or Rick Simpson oil. I’ve been using the gummies on pain days and I won’t say it knocks out the pain completely but it does make me not care as much, if that makes sense. I’m facing the fact of some miserable pain in the future so saving the narcs for then, and as one poster here stated, I hate constipation and it doesn’t take much to knock me off track. The narcs are for my deathbed. . Oh and another advantage of the cannabis is that it makes me feel happy and optimistic.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:38 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Man, I need to move over there then! I'd like some tylenol 3 to help with my back once in awhile--an eighth of a tablet works wonderfully

I was going to suggest you take a trip north of the border for some 222's but I see that the nanny state has now extended its long reach into Canada. They are no longer available OTC.

What choice did they have when 0.0034483% of the Ontario population was treated for addiction to them over an 8 year period?

Old 08-31-2021, 12:37 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guessingtherules View Post
You also need to always watch for mistakes in the doctors orders. This is not an option. In some cases, you should contact them immediately but in the case of narcotic prescriptions, the first thing to do is refuse them and/or not pick them up in cases where they could cause injury or death. If you have refused to pick these up for a friend, family member or patient, you need to explain this refusal to the patient as long as they can understand. If they have other meds then it might be good to contact the doctor to find out what pain killing alternatives would be safe and not counter-react with their meds.

Say what? Are you suggesting that people interfere with others getting their prescribed medications?

Quote:
Be prepared for a back lash since not everyone agrees that narcotic prescriptions are dangerous and some think this is propaganda.

Unlike guns, which go off accidentally and are used to intentionally harm people, narcotics are almost always taken voluntarily. They aren't dangerous by themselves, what's dangerous is for a person to abuse them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness