Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 01:34 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

I wrote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Of course I understand that THE PATIENT should not be driving -- what I was asking was why they couldn't take an Uber or a taxi.
And KCZ wrote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Post #16
And post #16 was,

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Because getting home is just part of the journey. Then you have to actually get in the house (stairs), get settled (maybe stairs again), obtain your drugs, your dinner, the bathroom,etc. Maybe the OP will be able to do all those things. I doubt it. The drive home is just the beginning.
I guess I should have been clearer that the things that reebo wrote in post #16 DON'T APPLY to many people, even those of us who have just had major surgery. I had 2 knee replacements in 2020, one in February and one in July. As I wrote earlier, the first time, I had a friend drive me home. She also went with me inside the house, but that was because we were chatting -- she certainly didn't HAVE to. I could walk, albeit slowly. And I could climb stairs (again albeit slowly). I could certainly take my own drugs, make my own dinner, and use the bathroom -- I didn't need the slightest help for ANY of those activities.

In other words, I wasn't a total invalid who needed help with every tiny thing even after I had had very major surgery.

Of course, the OP may want or need more help, and that's fine. I was really just questioning why getting home in a taxi or Uber is often not allowed. As I wrote previously, my hospital finally said OK to me getting a taxi after my July surgery, even though their blanket policy was just to say "no."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 01:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I wrote,

And KCZ wrote,

And post #16 was,

I guess I should have been clearer that the things that reebo wrote in post #16 DON'T APPLY to many people, even those of us who have just had major surgery. I had 2 knee replacements in 2020, one in February and one in July. As I wrote earlier, the first time, I had a friend drive me home. She also went with me inside the house, but that was because we were chatting -- she certainly didn't HAVE to. I could walk, albeit slowly. And I could climb stairs (again albeit slowly). I could certainly take my own drugs, make my own dinner, and use the bathroom -- I didn't need the slightest help for ANY of those activities.

In other words, I wasn't a total invalid who needed help with every tiny thing even after I had had very major surgery.

Of course, the OP may want or need more help, and that's fine. I was really just questioning why getting home in a taxi or Uber is often not allowed. As I wrote previously, my hospital finally said OK to me getting a taxi after my July surgery, even though their blanket policy was just to say "no."
Knee surgery is quit different than surgery on your stomach and abdomen. An organ is cut into with bariatric surgery. Quite often after surgery involving the abdomen you can't stand or walk without assistance. You often do need assistance. Depending on which bariatric surgery one is having they could be cut significantly and have a great deal of internal stitches and sutures. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:34 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Rather than asking random people online to play doctor - ASK YOUR DOCTOR!!
That does seem like the most logical answer, doesn't it?

Old 05-18-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Knee surgery is quit different than surgery on your stomach and abdomen. An organ is cut into with bariatric surgery. Quite often after surgery involving the abdomen you can't stand or walk without assistance. You often do need assistance. Depending on which bariatric surgery one is having they could be cut significantly and have a great deal of internal stitches and sutures. You're comparing apples to oranges.
OK, I get that (although do you know what exactly is involved with a TKR? when I think about what they actually did to both legs, I get woozy!) ... but I also had major (unwanted) abdominal surgery on Friday 12/12/97 (yes, I remember the exact date, because it was one of the saddest days of my life), and I was in the hospital for 4 days (Friday through Monday), and I got a ride home from a friend on Monday but was on my own from that point and again, I was totally fine. I could certainly stand and walk without assistance (and go to the bathroom, and cook my dinner, and care for my kitties, etc.). I found out later that I should have had a 6-to-8-week recovery period, but I gave a final exam 3 days after I got out of the hospital.

Then again, I am insanely independent, so I get what you're saying. Most people would probably WANT someone there to help them, but I was the opposite -- the idea of having to rely on people (even people I knew that I COULD rely on) was anathema to me.

And I DID manage on my own -- as I think most people could/would if they had to.

Again, as I wrote: the OP may very well want someone to help her. THAT'S FINE. All I have asked is why hospitals often prohibit people from going home via taxi or, now, Uber. THAT'S IT. And I guess I do understand the rationale IN PRINCIPLE, but of course exceptions can be made, as they were for me after the 2nd TKR.

YMMV. The OP's MMV. And again, that's fine.

(It may very well be a question of liability, i.e. if the hospital thinks that somehow you will sue them if they don't ensure that you have someone you know driving you home. But of course that's ridiculous, because just because someone drives you home doesn't mean they are going to stay with you 24/7 until you feel better. )

Old 05-18-2022, 10:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
I've also had abdominal surgery and could barely walk for 4 days. I could not walk upstairs. I needed help walking around. I could not stand for more than a few seconds. Every type of abdominal surgery is different. Bariatric surgery is MAJOR surgery with multiple incisions and lot of stitches/staples.

I mean good for you that you managed on your own. Are you looking for a medal? This thread isn't about you.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've also had abdominal surgery and could barely walk for 4 days. I could not walk upstairs. I needed help walking around. I could not stand for more than a few seconds. Every type of abdominal surgery is different. Bariatric surgery is MAJOR surgery with multiple incisions and lot of stitches/staples.

I mean good for you that you managed on your own. Are you looking for a medal? This thread isn't about you.
Yes, I wanted a medal. Doesn't C-D still give them out?

Seriously? What a nasty response, and I don't understand why.

Again (I've said this how many times already?): I was simply asking why hospitals would say that a taxi or Uber was not acceptable, because I just saw them as a ride home -- no other services needed. That's it. (I even acknowledge that maybe liability was an issue? I couldn't really see HOW, since there's no guarantee that ANYONE driving you home from the hospital will stay with you for days afterward, but I though maybe that was the hospitals' rationale.)

And again, I even said the OP's mileage may vary, as may yours, and that's fine! But for those of us who simply need a ride home -- nothing else -- then a taxi or Uber would be perfectly fine (as my hospital acknowledged).

That's it. Really.

But medals can be forwarded to my home address ...

And seriously, I hope the OP gets through her surgery just fine.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:31 PM

2,649 posts, read 1,177,499 times
I thought I could get out of a colonoscopy, but my doctor faked me out. He said he has a hospital where he does them and he can make arrangements to have me picked up and brought back home so I wouldn't have to use uber, taxi. I took an uber last time I was at the hospital and the driver didn't understand what the pin # was for and he was taking me to the wrong address . Fortunately, I got him to stop before he drove all the way to the wrong address. Last time I took a taxi it was filthy and I mean filthy with no seatbelt while he drove like a maniac I had to hold on for dear life as I was being swung left and right. Never again and especially after a medical procedure

Just when I thought I had a way out.

I know this thread is old now but please always ask your doctors if they have a solution that doesn't include uber or a taxi.

Last edited by staystill; 01-07-2023 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say Hospitals don't like Uber, Taxi's, especially when you go under anesthesia too not just because of stitches.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Because it has to be someone that knows you, will take you into your residence, stay w/you awhile, etc. - you really didn't know this?
I forgot about that, and I didn't know or even consider that the first time I had a medical procedure done. Not everyone knows things like this when it's all new to them. I'm sure there was a time when you didn't know either.

When I was told to have someone I know take me home I didn't even know how to use uber back then either so I got a relative to take me home and that relative who drove me home didn't walk me into my home and I stayed home alone. I had a little snack and fell asleep for about two hours. Felt ok when I woke up and just relaxed the rest of the day. I will never understand why we need someone to stay with us. I was little weak and wobbly walking through my building hallways by myself, but I managed. After that I made sure I never got both procedures done at the same time. Too much gas pain

Old 01-08-2023, 01:26 PM

Maybe it's for the Insurance purposes. They probably have to tell people don't drive, use uber or taxi so they are not held liable for a lawsuit if they get taken advantage of by a stranger.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:26 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Why on earth wouldn’t you ask your doctor instead of an Internet forum?
Because since the industrialization of medicine caused by BO-Care, it's easier to get directly thru to The President than it is to your doctor.

Reasons to not drive after surgery-- the anesthesia itself, obviously, for the first several post-op hours, but pain meds used thereafter may be a problem for mentation & co-ordination....Surgery involving limbs or back may make it difficult to steer or brake appropriately...

...but for abdominal or chest surgery, you shoudn't really even ride in a car (maybe not so important with new laparascopic/small incision procedures)-->

...In any auto accident, there's really 3 "collisions"- (1) when the car hits the telephone pole or whatever, (2) when you fly forward and hit the dash/windsheld/steering wheel, and (3) when your internal organs fly forward and hit the inside of the chest or abdominal wall...The incisional line is a weak spot and you could literally rupture thru and it's difficult to walk with your intestines draped over your arm....Yiou could trip and hurt yourself.

Taxis & Uber restrictions-- it has to do with liability concerns. The lawyers want to be able to easily find responsible parties when they serve the subpeona. Lazy bums.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 01-12-2023 at 02:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness