Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 02:59 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

https://www.health.com/news/omicron-...lctg=181248092

Quote:
But once you get past those common respiratory symptoms, the two conditions start to look increasingly different. "With Omicron or other viral illnesses, people tend to feel under the weather and don't feel well, but allergies don't really give you that feeling," Judith Berger, MD, director of the division of infectious diseases at SBH Health System in Bronx, New York , told Health. "Allergies also tend to not give you a fever or muscle aches."
Fever specifically is a key indicator that you may have COVID-19 instead of allergies, according to Scott Fedlman, MD, PhD, an assistant professor of clinical medicine in the division of allergy and immunology at the University of Pennsylvania Health System. That's because fever, or a rise in body temperature, is one of the ways the body tries to fight off infection or illness—the body essentially makes itself inhospitable for viruses and bacteria to survive and multiply.
A sudden loss of taste and smell could tip you off to a COVID-19 infection more than allergies, too. "Allergies can cause some mild decrease in smell when your nose is stuffy," said Dr. Feldman. "But the sudden loss of smell is less likely to be due to allergies."

Just an FYI from someone whose allergies are out of control today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 03:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
That's good to know. A few weeks ago I was SO SICK that I finally went to the urgent care clinic. They ran every test known to man, including but not limited to strep, flu, and covid. I was negative for all of them. Apparently I had a sinus infection and bronchitis FROM ALLERGIES and that was it. I mean, I was running a fever, coughing, feeling like I was dying - and it was all from allergies originally, which had morphed into bronchitis and a sinus infection.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:05 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.health.com/news/omicron-...lctg=181248092

Just an FYI from someone whose allergies are out of control today
I dont think the dr that was quoted has ever had severe allergies.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:26 PM

7,109 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Why is it news if it’s no worse than severe allergies? I’m not downplaying severe allergies at all, and I’m asking a legitimate question. Why are we so worried about Covid if it’s been downgraded to allergy-level?

Last edited by puginabug; 06-04-2022 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-04-2022, 03:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Could be. My allergies are over the top these past few days and I have extreme fatigue/falling asleep/too tired to do much more than go to the bathroom, bad pressure headache, stuffed up nose and can't breathe, no appetite, dizziness.

But as the dr says, I do not have a fever. I can taste--tasting orange juice right now. So it would be the fever that would be the giveaway, I guess.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:39 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Why is it news if it’s no worse than severe allergies? I’m not downplaying severe allergies at all, and I’m asking a legitimate question. Why are we so worried about Covid if it’s been downgraded to allergy-level?
It's not so bad for some people, but it kills others, especially the unvaccinated.

I was vaxxed and boosted, but still got omicron; it was like the flu, not allergies.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:44 PM

7,109 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Not sure how people know which variant they have, or have gotten. I was told “positive”, but that’s it. I assume it was Omicron, since I had mild flu-like symptoms for a day and a half.

So we are saying Omicron is killing people?

Old 06-04-2022, 07:03 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,154,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Right? Looks like anyone can write whatever they want and it's taken as fact by many people.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:15 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Not sure how people know which variant they have, or have gotten. I was told “positive”, but that’s it. I assume it was Omicron, since I had mild flu-like symptoms for a day and a half.

So we are saying Omicron is killing people?
We were also just told positive, but omicron symptoms are different from Covid Classic or Delta.
Omicron seems to have crowded out other variants, and a few people are still dying.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:55 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
The last two times I got covid (I’m on round three), I’d have chosen it over my allergies any day.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness