Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 09:06 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times

Advertisements

So says this study. https://www.ndph.ox.ac.uk/news/new-g...ause-of-cancer

"...Evidence from Western countries already strongly indicates that alcohol is a direct cause of cancer in the head, neck, oesophagus, liver, colon and breast. But it has been difficult to establish whether alcohol directly causes cancer, or if it is linked to possible confounding factors (such as smoking and diet) that could generate biased results. It was also unclear whether alcohol is linked to other types of cancer, including lung and stomach cancers.

To address these unknowns, researchers from Oxford Population Health, Peking University and the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, used a genetic approach by investigating gene variants linked to lower alcohol consumption in Asian populations. The results have been published today in the International Journal of Cancer..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 09:24 AM

761 posts, read 447,989 times
Alcohol is a highly processed carbohydrate. To avoid cancer, there are all kinds of processed and non-processed foods that should be avoided, not just alcohol. And the researchers are taking a very narrow reductionist approach by investigating gene variants. Good luck with that!

Old 08-26-2022, 06:46 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
'Alcohol' is a fairly generic phrase used to describe an assortment of chemicals.

Yeast makes various chemicals as by-products of consuming sugars. Yeast makes: Acetone, Methanol, Ethyl acetate, Ethanol, 2-Propanol, 1-Propanol, Butanol, Amyl alcohol, and Furfural.

All except the Ethanol are poisons.

In the context of beers, wines and meads, the content of these poisons is low and often dismissed.

It is only in the context of distilled liquors that we can really see their presence.

I have attended a few local artisan distillery competitions where I have become aware of the topic of whiskey 'blending'. That is after these poisons have been removed, then they are blended back into the finished product in the thought that they bring with them some flavor nuances [along with the pronounced hangovers].

When we discuss the evils of alcohol. I wish to make sure that we are discussing ethanol as distinct from the poisons that are now normally 'blended' into most commercial distilled products.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:48 AM

761 posts, read 447,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
So says this study. https://www.ndph.ox.ac.uk/news/new-g...ause-of-cancer

"...Evidence from Western countries already strongly indicates that alcohol is a direct cause of cancer in the head, neck, oesophagus, liver, colon and breast. But it has been difficult to establish whether alcohol directly causes cancer, or if it is linked to possible confounding factors (such as smoking and diet) that could generate biased results. It was also unclear whether alcohol is linked to other types of cancer, including lung and stomach cancers.

To address these unknowns, researchers from Oxford Population Health, Peking University and the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, used a genetic approach by investigating gene variants linked to lower alcohol consumption in Asian populations. The results have been published today in the International Journal of Cancer..."
Alcohol Use and Cancer (by the American Cancer Society)

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/cance...nd-cancer.html

The above link gives a partial list of all the various cancers that can be caused by drinking: Then it says: Drinking and smoking together raises the risk of these cancers many times more than drinking or smoking alone.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:40 AM

9,890 posts, read 4,656,637 times
I've seen this/these studies before and seen it in life.. The problem with alcohol is when it's combined with other habits and medical conditions it when the real damage is done. I knew a cigar and pipe smoker-never cigarettes but they were also a daily drinker, whines, whiskeys, scotches etc. He got throat cancer and survived but the operation and chemo left so much damage/scaring he could barely eat, started having mini strokes became frail and just deteriorated from there.

. I've seen studies indicating beyond a drink a day one can put themselves on a path to numerous medical conditions. Don't let lifetime alcoholics fool you because when issues start they deteriorate fast.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:44 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Alcohol Use and Cancer (by the American Cancer Society)

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/cance...nd-cancer.html

The above link gives a partial list of all the various cancers that can be caused by drinking: Then it says: Drinking and smoking together raises the risk of these cancers many times more than drinking or smoking alone.
George Thorogood should be relieved, he drinks alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzqQst-Sg8

Old 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM

1,140 posts, read 618,456 times
Alcohol is a toxin... your liver works hard to detoxify it.

Some east Asians are genetically incapable to process (detoxify) alcohol. I know one who can't even have half a beer and not get sick.

I suspect that alcohol is a direct cause of many cancers. A lifetime (or just decades) of abusing our cells with various toxins (cigs, alcohol, weed, junk food, nitrates, etc), eventually we damage it enough that it just screws up and you get cancer.

BTW I'm in no way being a prude. I love alcohol (too much) and smoked for over 20 yrs (I did quit). We all pick our poisons, but realize it is poison.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:04 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

Some east Asians are genetically incapable to process (detoxify) alcohol. I know one who can't even have half a beer and not get sick.

I suspect that alcohol is a direct cause of many cancers. A lifetime (or just decades) of abusing our cells with various toxins (cigs, alcohol, weed, junk food, nitrates, etc), eventually we damage it enough that it just screws up and you get cancer.

BTW I'm in no way being a prude. I love alcohol (too much) and smoked for over 20 yrs (I did quit). We all pick our poisons, but realize it is poison.
There's no rhyme or reason why some countries where drinking and even smoking are very prevalent, yet still have much lower incidences of cancer. https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...tes-by-country

Old 08-28-2022, 11:49 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times
The study which was based on Asian populations indicates that alcohol caused cancer in those people with inherited low alcohol tolerability who cannot properly metabolize alcohol. This is more prevalent in Asian populations.

I'm not sure that I see the wider application here.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:30 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Do you mean; Acetone alcohol, Methanol alcohol, Ethyl acetate alcohol, Ethanol alcohol, 2-Propanol alcohol, 1-Propanol alcohol, Butanol alcohol, Amyl alcohol, or Furfural alcohol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness