Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2023, 04:37 PM

82 posts, read 83,599 times

Advertisements

What happens when one of the vertebrates pops? More specifically around the C5 and C6 area. I had 2 cervical strains at the job. I am trying to figure out why I am experiencing symptoms still since the worker comp doctor doesn't like explaining anything at all. He doesn't answer simple questions. They found a mild bulge disc on the 2nd MRI which was caused by the 2nd injury. The question is can the vertebrate pop out of place and when it goes back it doesn't go completely how it was? Because I feel like it's sticking out more than before and I don't think it's swelling since it happened months ago. Can this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 04:59 PM

23,476 posts, read 19,147,284 times
This is the sort of thing I'd be discussing with an orthopedist, not strangers on the web.

For more info about problems with spinal discs, try reading about it:

https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/feat...ciatic%20nerve.

https://www.healthline.com/health/herniated-disk

BTW, a "vertebrate" is any organism that possesses a spine. It isn't a body part.

Old 01-20-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This is the sort of thing I'd be discussing with an orthopedist, not strangers on the web.

For more info about problems with spinal discs, try reading about it:

https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/feat...ciatic%20nerve.

https://www.healthline.com/health/herniated-disk

BTW, a "vertebrate" is any organism that possesses a spine. It isn't a body part.
I already did. He doesn't answer much. I asked him many questions he never answered. He just walks away and leaves. I posted this to see if anyone else experienced this.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:30 AM

7,341 posts, read 5,230,702 times
Weasels are vertebrates, and, as everyone knows, they frequently pop, especially when being chased by monkeys.

OTOH, it is debatable about why joints "pop."-- some think it's a release of air in the joint. Others think it's due to a sudden passing of a "sticking point" in a stiff ligament-- kinda like how a toy tin clicker works. The classic example is "cracking your knuckles."....

...That's a definite, audible "pop" as opposed to a feeling of grinding of a joint due to arthritic deformity &/or minor dislocation (subluxation) of the joint....Cervical vertebrae have sort of "fins" that act like tracks to keep them aligned, so it's really hard (if not impossibe) to sublux them without fracturing--which would be obvious on an x-ray/MRI/CT.

Normal joints can "pop," so that sound doesn't mean something must be wrong..If you've had episodes of cervical strain, then you are prone to fatigue and spasm of the neck muscles which may cause grinding...If an MRI has shown a herniated disc, then appropriate medical (surgical) evaluation is in order. Surgery on cervical vertebrae is techincally more difficult than on low backs, so unless there is definite nerve impingement or impending instability of the joint, usually only physical therapy/bracing is recommended.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Weasels are vertebrates, and, as everyone knows, they frequently pop, especially when being chased by monkeys.

OTOH, it is debatable about why joints "pop."-- some think it's a release of air in the joint. Others think it's due to a sudden passing of a "sticking point" in a stiff ligament-- kinda like how a toy tin clicker works. The classic example is "cracking your knuckles."....

...That's a definite, audible "pop" as opposed to a feeling of grinding of a joint due to arthritic deformity &/or minor dislocation (subluxation) of the joint....Cervical vertebrae have sort of "fins" that act like tracks to keep them aligned, so it's really hard (if not impossibe) to sublux them without fracturing--which would be obvious on an x-ray/MRI/CT.

Normal joints can "pop," so that sound doesn't mean something must be wrong..If you've had episodes of cervical strain, then you are prone to fatigue and spasm of the neck muscles which may cause grinding...If an MRI has shown a herniated disc, then appropriate medical (surgical) evaluation is in order. Surgery on cervical vertebrae is techincally more difficult than on low backs, so unless there is definite nerve impingement or impending instability of the joint, usually only physical therapy/bracing is recommended.
It should mild dextroscoliosis on the first and second MRI. On the second it should mild degenerative disc disease which 30% of ages 35 and older will experience. I didn't have this on the first MRI. It also showed mild bulge disc which also wasn't on the first MRI. The bulge disc is located C5 and C6 where the injury occurred so the second injury caused it. I also have pain and fatigue on my arms, mostly the left arm.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:05 PM

5,785 posts, read 4,752,458 times
Go see a chiropractor.

Old 02-05-2023, 08:44 AM

7,341 posts, read 5,230,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojka View Post
It should mild dextroscoliosis on the first and second MRI. On the second it should mild degenerative disc disease which 30% of ages 35 and older will experience. I didn't have this on the first MRI. It also showed mild bulge disc which also wasn't on the first MRI. The bulge disc is located C5 and C6 where the injury occurred so the second injury caused it. I also have pain and fatigue on my arms, mostly the left arm.
A couple points about x-ray studies (including MRI or CT)--

- they are always "over-read" by the radiologists, who don't want to be accused of missing somerthing later. I rather doubt you suddenly developed DJD in the time between your studies.

- The pictures are shadows-- Eg- a fashlight held exacly perpendicular to a surface will project a perfectly round field of light on the surface, but tip it even a little and the field becomes oval-- Same with that disc that should look round. Even a slight shift in angle can make it look like it's bulging a little.

-"real" scoliosis is caused by vertebrae that aren't symmetrical. Cf- a Roman arch has wedge shaped stones to make it curve...If your muscles that move the vertebrae are in asymmetric spasm, they'll bend the spinal column giving a pseudo-scoliosis look.

Just like a herniated lumbar disc makes us sense pain at the end of the nerve down the leg- not at the root where it's being pinched, a cervical nerve pinched by a disc in the spinal column gives us the impression of pain at the end of the nerve-- For cerival nerves, that's from the shoulder down to the fingers...so pain in your neck (are you sure it ain't just your boss?) is probably not from injury to the bone or nerve, but due to spasm of muscles in the neck...Eg- whiplash injuries, head injuries that strained the neck, muscle fatigue from odd movements or prolonged, tiring postures, etc.

You/ve had the studies that show it it isn't a tumor or an untable orthopeidc conditon. Now, the therapy should be aimed at getting the tight muscles to loosen and the loose muscles to tighten so the muscle tensioj is equal all around the neck & shoulders...That's proper exercise, proper rest, message, and avoidance of postures & movements that aggravate it. Meds don't usually help these things very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness