Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 04:23 PM

400 posts, read 526,875 times

Advertisements

So I've been in the Southeast US my entire life. I've been eaten alive by ants, spiders, mosquitoes, chiggers, sea lice, etc....but nothing comes close to the bites I got in the last couple of days while in Florida. I was attacked by several huge aggressive biting flies that weren't just opportunistic like mosquitoes - but like an attack dog that would not stop and would not stop chasing, and biting my legs.

I was up all night unable to get a minute of sleep because these huge swollen red sores are the itchiest things I have ever dealt with. Imagine the worst itch you've ever had and multiply it by 100. Just doesn't stop. I've tried everything and it looks like hell - like my legs have been blasted with a shotgun. Deep dark red spots the size of quarters. I slathered on 1% hydrocortisone but that doesn't do much.

My question is - is there something to keep these awful things away from me and is there something to put on these bites to make them heal and/or stop itching so badly?

Just another reason to stay the heck out of Florida.

Last edited by DeanJ44; 04-03-2023 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 04:52 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Clothing with snug fitting cuffs (so they can't crawl underneath) and/or an application of higher concentration DEET based repellant. Try applying focused heat to the bites. Heat can disrupt the histamine reaction that causes the itch. Take this from someone who's lived in AK for decades. I've also lived in coastal NJ with its greenhead flies . They're a type of horse fly. Now you know why horses can generally go nuts when flies pester them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-03-2023 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 05:06 PM

400 posts, read 526,875 times
I think that is the type of fly that I dealt with.... green horse flies or something in that family. Much larger than regular flies and green in color for sure. Except there are no horses around here that I know of. Lots of mud. Maybe they live in the mud.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:19 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I think that is the type of fly that I dealt with.... green horse flies or something in that family. Much larger than regular flies and green in color for sure. Except there are no horses around here that I know of. Lots of mud. Maybe they live in the mud.
They tend to be more common near coastal and marshy areas. Their presence has nothing whatever to do with horses...horses simply provide one of many convenient warm-blooded meals as they don't have thick protective fur coats.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:11 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Family Tabanidae, horseflies have razor sharp scissor-like mandibles that draw blood so they can lap it up. So they aren't really biting, they are slicing and dicing! They are my least favorite summer pest.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:23 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
So I've been in the Southeast US my entire life. I've been eaten alive by ants, spiders, mosquitoes, chiggers, sea lice, etc....but nothing comes close to the bites I got in the last couple of days while in Florida. I was attacked by several huge aggressive biting flies that weren't just opportunistic like mosquitoes - but like an attack dog that would not stop and would not stop chasing, and biting my legs.

I was up all night unable to get a minute of sleep because these huge swollen red sores are the itchiest things I have ever dealt with. Imagine the worst itch you've ever had and multiply it by 100. Just doesn't stop. I've tried everything and it looks like hell - like my legs have been blasted with a shotgun. Deep dark red spots the size of quarters. I slathered on 1% hydrocortisone but that doesn't do much.

My question is - is there something to keep these awful things away from me and is there something to put on these bites to make them heal and/or stop itching so badly?

Never had any probs with flies sly. Once in a while a small yellow fly with get on my nerves. Only huge fly i know about are them green horse flies. Never had them bother me and i have lived in FL all my life bra.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Clothing with snug fitting cuffs (so they can't crawl underneath) and/or an application of higher concentration DEET based repellant. Try applying focused heat to the bites. Heat can disrupt the histamine reaction that causes the itch. Take this from someone who's lived in AK for decades. I've also lived in coastal NJ with its greenhead flies . They're a type of horse fly. Now you know why horses can generally go nuts when flies pester them.
Great advice. Coming from FL, I always hiked in long sleeves, pants tucked into socks, etc. even in the hot months. I am up here in IL now and people look at me like I am crazy, but it at least somewhat helps with the bugs. That said, I still got ticks from time to time even with that setup.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:15 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
check out the 'bug bite thing' - i think it's called. it uses suction to pull out the poison/stinger. they are widely available and cheap. i havent bought one yet, but they look/sound amazing.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:44 AM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
Bot flies in Florida all year round. If you feel something wiggle then say hello.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:16 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:

Have you tried an antihistamine either topically or orally? Benadryl, for example?

I keep lavender oil, a natural antihistamine, on hand for itchy insect bites (but not if skin is broken from scratching). It's great for burns too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness