Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 02:55 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

I went to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist last week and I was asked if I had ever seen a gastroenterologist in my state, and if so, I would not be accepted as a patient.

I happen to live next door to a retired gastroenterologist, and one of my close friends is a retired neurologist.
They both said they had never heard of a doctor saying such a thing.

Any comments?

(btw, I had not seen a gastroenterologist in my current state before, so it did not affect my making an appointment, but it just seemed ultra odd to me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 05:03 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Maybe they were fishing to find out if you were really seeking treatment or just seeking a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion on something. Still weird though. I would ask them for an explanation for the question, and if I wasn't satisfied I'd go elsewhere. Actually I'd probably just go elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:36 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Maybe they were fishing to find out if you were really seeking treatment or just seeking a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion on something. Still weird though. I would ask them for an explanation for the question, and if I wasn't satisfied I'd go elsewhere. Actually I'd probably just go elsewhere.
Yup, I would too. No doctor should be afraid of a second opinion, and I agree this is what this situation sounds like.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:50 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I had urgent need of a gastro doc, but mine was out of town for weeks. His partner would not see me because I was the other one's patient. They were the only gastros within a 2-hour drive. Jerks

I've never experienced this with any other type of doctor.

Old 05-01-2023, 11:27 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Apparently, those doctors don't live up to their Hippocratic Oath.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:01 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Apparently, those doctors don't live up to their Hippocratic Oath.
they don't have to accept you as a patient

Old 05-01-2023, 02:17 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I went to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist last week and I was asked if I had ever seen a gastroenterologist in my state, and if so, I would not be accepted as a patient.

I happen to live next door to a retired gastroenterologist, and one of my close friends is a retired neurologist.
They both said they had never heard of a doctor saying such a thing.

Any comments?
Sounds like a huge red flag of a potential scummy paranoid doctor. I suggest checking Yelp, Google reviews and any other health care review sites to see if anyone else reported issues with this guy.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:05 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I had urgent need of a gastro doc, but mine was out of town for weeks. His partner would not see me because I was the other one's patient. They were the only gastros within a 2-hour drive. Jerks

I've never experienced this with any other type of doctor.
That's nuts. The partner should be available to see patients 'of the practice group'.

Re OP's experience: the only thing that I can think of is that the gastro had been seen by a patient and then asked to give a deposition against another gastro in a malpractice case and didn't want a repeat.

Old 05-01-2023, 06:17 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Sounds like a huge red flag of a potential scummy paranoid doctor. I suggest checking Yelp, Google reviews and any other health care review sites to see if anyone else reported issues with this guy.

When have you ever seen a Google review of a doctor?

Old 05-01-2023, 06:42 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
When have you ever seen a Google review of a doctor?
There are too many online reviews of doctors. Just trying to find a doctor online is a maze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness