Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,198 times

Advertisements

Can someone please me with this persistent odor problem I have been having.? I have been dealing with this for about 2 years now, and it severely affects my self-confidence and causes depression. When I wash my armpits, I wash them well, all around up; down to the side, let them soak for 30 seconds,3x rinse, and repeat. Then i dry up and apply a strong deodorant. However, my armpits still smell right after coming out of the shower they smell severe kind of like I haven't showered in days. I have a Clean bill of health. I have always been an anxious and stressed person. This doesn't make sense why is this happening? can someone please explain this madness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 11:17 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
You said you have a clean bill of health. Did you talk to your doctor about this?

Body odors can have many causes. They range from something harmless like diet to being a symptom of something more serious. You mentioned anxiety and stress. Stress and anxiety can cause the body to produce more sweat, and can also affect the balance of bacteria on the skin. Have you noticed a correlation?

Is it possible that you are overly sensitive to these perceived odors? Do other people notice it as well? People sometime become obsessive-compulsive about hygiene. These often times manifest themselves in hygiene rituals. In your OP you described one.

Old 05-01-2023, 06:53 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Almost all ailments start within the body. So it probably has to do with your diet. If you eat alot of pork or dairy, it might be time to lay off. As we age, our body processes things differently and yours may not be able to tolerate the same foods you used to eat.

The temperature of the water is important too. You should be using warm/hot-ish to hot water to aid in the elimination of dead skin cells and bacteria. And I hope you aren't using your hands. Alot of people do and it is not enough. Use a clean wash cloth or japanese bath towel to remove all the dead skin.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:15 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

Is it possible that you are overly sensitive to these perceived odors? Do other people notice it as well? People sometime become obsessive-compulsive about hygiene. These often times manifest themselves in hygiene rituals. In your OP you described one.
Right, most of the time people are nose blind to their own BO, so having a persistent odor that you can smell yourself seems odd. I'm assuming a clean bill of health means that OP has consulted with a dermatologist about the issue.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:30 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
I agree that it is likely diet related. Cut out the processed sugary carbs/starches from your diet. Eat close to nature, drink enough water. See if that helps.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:52 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceJordan13 View Post
Can someone please me with this persistent odor problem I have been having.? I have been dealing with this for about 2 years now, and it severely affects my self-confidence and causes depression. When I wash my armpits, I wash them well, all around up; down to the side, let them soak for 30 seconds,3x rinse, and repeat. Then i dry up and apply a strong deodorant. However, my armpits still smell right after coming out of the shower they smell severe kind of like I haven't showered in days. I have a Clean bill of health. I have always been an anxious and stressed person. This doesn't make sense why is this happening? can someone please explain this madness?
Can you describe the smell? Do you smell like onions?

Old 05-01-2023, 04:26 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
This may give you some ideas OP:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...s-of-body-odor

Many spices other than the more obvious ones (onion and garlic) can contribute to body odor. Cruciferous veggies, cumin, etc.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:35 PM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This may give you some ideas OP:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...s-of-body-odor

Many spices other than the more obvious ones (onion and garlic) can contribute to body odor. Cruciferous veggies, cumin, etc.
Yep. Used to have an Indian guy come to aerobic classes and he really had some strong body odor. We assumed it was what he ate. Tumeric, etc. thanks for the informative link.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:38 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Well, that's weird, because the odor arises from bacteria on the skin, and right after you shower, there shouldn't be any! Could you be imagining or exaggerating it? Has anyone else corroborated that you smell bad fresh out of the shower??? This could be a delusion in conjunction with your depression and anxiety or even some form of body dysmorphia.

Last edited by otterhere; 05-01-2023 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-01-2023, 06:04 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,149,613 times
If you eat a lot of meat that can cause a stronger than usual body odor.

Also if you happen to deal with walking pneumonia, the process of the "gunk" in the lung getting expelled by sweating can cause odor too.

Honestly the only straight answer can come from a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness