Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 07:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,742,858 times

Advertisements

Native New Englander and I hate cold weather, I do best with a dry, Mediterranean climate. My wife's great-grandparents all immigrated from Denmark to Iowa and she grew up in Oregon. She carries a lot of sunscreen with her during the summer but is happy to be in a warmer climate. The cracked, dry skin, colds, falling on ice, etc is no fun for anyone, even people who don't have the genes for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 12:00 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
Pathogens love warm and moist enviroments, and an survive and persist.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:16 AM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Cold, wet weather associated with higher cancer rates. That's bad news for JNU because our location exemplifies those weather conditions. https://www.labroots.com/trending/ca...valence-cancer

Old 05-05-2023, 09:51 AM

741 posts, read 413,527 times
OP, I understand your point because I prefer colder weather too. Florida is completely overrated. During the summer, you walk from a/c to a/c because of the heat (I have family in Orlando). it's always hot and dehydration sucks. You can have it! I will stay in New England.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:49 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,670,378 times
I grew up in Virginia, moved to Alaska 28 years ago and never looked back. Cold weather suits me a whole lot better than hot weather. In fact, I walked out of the house this morning without a jacket because it was a balmy 36F. Supposed to hit 50F this afternoon so I might need to turn on the AC in my car.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:48 PM

3,089 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Many retirees head to Florida when possible (we did that pre-retirement) to avoid winter weather and to stay active. But research says that a colder climate is associated with longevity.

Here's one paper on it:
https://terra-docs.s3.us-east-2.amaz...8_Kewalani.pdf

I LOVE cold weather and would gladly move to Canada or Maine if I weren't married to a person who needs warmer weather, especially sunshine. We left Florida and now live in North Carolina and I can tell that's an improvement in my health, both physical and mental.

Anyone else love colder weather?
cold weather is so much better than hot summers. In winter esp with snow my allergies mostly disappear. In summer allergies are terrible and getting worse. Ive never understood how peoplelike Florida. Whats the difference between air conditioning in summer and heat in winter. just different times of the year. Snowshoeing, even shoveling snow is good exercise. 4 seasons with a good winter is the best.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:44 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I grew up in Virginia, moved to Alaska 28 years ago and never looked back. Cold weather suits me a whole lot better than hot weather. In fact, I walked out of the house this morning without a jacket because it was a balmy 36F. Supposed to hit 50F this afternoon so I might need to turn on the AC in my car.
Car AC has absolutely no value here in JNU at all. It's never needed. For that matter, I don't find it necessary in Hawaii either. Just take your shirt off and crack a window.

But lately this thread has been straying away from the original premise into personal preferences. As previously mentioned, it's a mixed bag with pros and cons with both when it comes to longevity.

This can also be true for day to day functioning. For instance, my muscles work better in warm weather while my brain prefers it to be cooler. Agreed that HOT weather is the worst. No thanks!

Old 05-05-2023, 05:24 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times
Much truth to this.

There's more detailed scientific info about this online.

As much as I loathe winter....at this point in life I will treasure the extra years I'm getting from being a Snow Belt resident.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:53 PM

82 posts, read 47,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Many retirees head to Florida when possible (we did that pre-retirement) to avoid winter weather and to stay active. But research says that a colder climate is associated with longevity.

Here's one paper on it:
https://terra-docs.s3.us-east-2.amaz...8_Kewalani.pdf

I LOVE cold weather and would gladly move to Canada or Maine if I weren't married to a person who needs warmer weather, especially sunshine. We left Florida and now live in North Carolina and I can tell that's an improvement in my health, both physical and mental.

Anyone else love colder weather?

If that is the case, Russians would have long lifespan but they have one of the lowest in the industrialized world. But will admit their low lifespan is due to drinking addiction.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:55 PM

82 posts, read 47,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Pathogens love warm and moist enviroments, and an survive and persist.
Pathogens like room temperature dummy. That's why you have to boil water or pasteurize milk to kill the diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness