Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 06:41 PM

1,063 posts, read 911,498 times

Advertisements

from op: "Anyone else love colder weather?"
yes.
just returned from Iceland.
however, 4/23 to 5/1, it was like
Spring in the Eastern US.
sunshine all week and precipitation
only at night. i made a mistake by
not packing sunglasses. i wore a cardigan
sweater outside. had to take it off during our
glacier hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 07:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,937 times
I definitely prefer colder weather. But for me, it's the heat, but especially the humidity that really kills me. I live in Massachusetts and dread the Summer. I can't imagine living in FL or one of those extremely humid and hot states.

I very much like living in New England, but the humidity might eventually drive me to Santa Fe, NM where my sister and brother live.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:54 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Cold, wet weather associated with higher cancer rates. That's bad news for JNU because our location exemplifies those weather conditions. https://www.labroots.com/trending/ca...valence-cancer
But the weather conditions may have triggered dietary choices, the real cause of longevity. In Japan, is high stomach cancer caused by seafood, or Japan?

Old 05-06-2023, 10:56 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,934,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Many retirees head to Florida when possible (we did that pre-retirement) to avoid winter weather and to stay active. But research says that a colder climate is associated with longevity.

Here's one paper on it:
https://terra-docs.s3.us-east-2.amaz...8_Kewalani.pdf

I LOVE cold weather and would gladly move to Canada or Maine if I weren't married to a person who needs warmer weather, especially sunshine. We left Florida and now live in North Carolina and I can tell that's an improvement in my health, both physical and mental.

Anyone else love colder weather?
I like the colder weather but could live without the gloom and bleakness. With that being said, cold plus bleak is better than Florida. Anything is better than Florida.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:39 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
Quote:
Many retirees head to Florida when possible (we did that pre-retirement) to avoid winter weather and to stay active. But research says that a colder climate is associated with longevity.

Here's one paper on it:

I LOVE cold weather and would gladly move to Canada or Maine if I weren't married to a person who needs warmer weather, especially sunshine. We left Florida and now live in North Carolina and I can tell that's an improvement in my health, both physical and mental.

According to the paper in your link - the entire US is classified as cold (see Figure 3). So maybe doesn't need to be as cold as you think.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:11 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,528,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I love colder weather but unfortunately it doesn't love me. I'm constantly getting sore throats, bad colds, and the like. And it's not because I go out without enough clothing or anything like that. Colder air just reacts badly with me. There are more ads for Lemsip, cough syrup, and cold remedies in the UK than anywhere else I've lived.

We are now in Florida and I have been very healthy for the last 5 years - since we've been here - no colds or sore throats, no drippy nose, nothing like that. I have to reluctantly conclude that I belong down here.
We moved to Florida from Illinois. In Illinois, I was stuffed up ALL the time. I have been tested and have no allergies. In Florida, I can breathe and I have fewer headaches, too. I don't know if it has to do with barometric pressure changes or what.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:26 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,576,600 times
"Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Pathogens love warm and moist enviroments, and an survive and persist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangocashdrink View Post
Pathogens like room temperature dummy. That's why you have to boil water or pasteurize milk to kill the diseases.

Calling the other poster a dummy is rude, and not needed in a civil conversation. Btw, I wouldn't call the extremes below "room tempurature".

"Most bacteria thrive at 40 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, which is why it’s important to keep food refrigerated or cook it at high temperatures. Freezing temperatures don’t kill germs, but it makes them dormant until they are thawed."

https://teacherscollegesj.org/what-i...ost-pathogens/

--------------------------------

Old 05-07-2023, 12:02 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,661,969 times
Colder weather makes the heart work harder and is hard on the body. I live in the warm climates, love it, and am over 1o years older than the average life span for men. All my relatives who lived in the cold climates who have died were 10 to 12 years younger than my age.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:46 AM

30,404 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:

Here's one paper on it:

7 of the 8 countries that have the longest lifespan or in warm to mild climates and none in a colder climate so I'm not buying the colder lives longer story. Singapore has one of the longest lifespan average in a very hot climate.

https://www.worldometers.info/demogr...fe-expectancy/

I've lived in hot, cold and mild climates and I rank them mild and warm as both enjoyable and a cold climate I learned to despise. Now in my 60's I find the cold weather miserable.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:19 AM

30,653 posts, read 18,263,167 times
I'd like to see more research on causation, but it wouldn't shock me if this is true. Warmer weather is associated with a host of pathogens that thrive in such environments and cause illnesses in many, which may disproportionately harm those in older ages. That said, I'll take the warm climates over the cold any day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness