Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 05:26 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times

Advertisements

All throughout my life, I always get 1-2 colds per year around the fall/winter. And they usually aren’t too bad to deal with. But when the Covid pandemic came along and we all started wearing masks and social distanced, I managed to not get sick for over two years. But then last year when I eventually started returning to normal, I caught a bad cold and got soooo sick. I was really run down, had a low grade fever and a bad cough. I knew it wasn’t Covid because I got tested a few times and it all came out negative. So it most likely was a cold but a very bad one. It took almost two weeks for me to fully recover. Well earlier this year, I caught another cold and this one was a breeze. Just sniffles for a few days and was done.

So is it possible that I got really sick from my cold last year because I haven’t gotten sick in so long and my immune wasn’t used to fighting off infection? Because it just seemed like an odd coincidence how I got the worst cold of my life right when I haven’t gotten sick in so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 03:02 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
No. It is perfectly normal for some colds to be worse than others, probaby related to whether you had an infection with a closely related virus in the past.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:51 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No. It is perfectly normal for some colds to be worse than others, probaby related to whether you had an infection with a closely related virus in the past.
And viruses reinvent themselves...some bug you may have caught three years ago may have evolved into something a little different by the time you picked it up again. Your immune response to the newer version could be different.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ok thanks. Just wanted to be sure that my mask wearing wasn’t affecting my immune system, as people claim. Good to know it wasn’t.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:26 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
I had the worst respiratory virus in decades (RSV) as soon as I started unmasking last fall. Coincidence? I don't know. But it did occur to me that lack of exposure to any pathogens for several years may have had my immune system slacking off a bit. I'm not in any high risk groups for RSV (yet...lol) so it's a bit puzzling that it was as bad as it was.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:48 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I have not had so much as a cold since early 2020. I, too, have been concerned about this….

Old 05-27-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I had the worst respiratory virus in decades (RSV) as soon as I started unmasking last fall. Coincidence? I don't know. But it did occur to me that lack of exposure to any pathogens for several years may have had my immune system slacking off a bit. I'm not in any high risk groups for RSV (yet...lol) so it's a bit puzzling that it was as bad as it was.
The funny thing is, I had a couple of colds after that later in the year and they were extremely minor. Funny how after my immune system got hit so badly that one time, I somehow only had minor sniffles on the follow colds thereafter. Certainly an interesting coincidence when you think about it.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:08 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I've had only one cold since the start of covid, and it was mild.

I think the only reason I got that cold was because I have a non contagious infection messing with my immune system; I've also had pink eye and a cold sore recently. Surgery this week is supposed to get rid of the infection, and let my immune system go back to normal.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:35 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
There are many non-Covid viruses that cause problems, some can cause bad enough symptoms to send people to ER.
RSV (mentioned above) is one of those and another is HMPV. Both of these haven't gotten a lot of attention but make people sicker than a simple cold virus.

I believe as time goes on we'll hear about many more viruses that get named because Covid caused so many problems.
My husband and I got a very bad (unknown) virus 3 years before Covid appeared, and I remember a very bad one I got after shaking hands with people who'd flown to Florida from UK (15 years ago).

Viruses are being moved around the world a lot faster now. Makes me think about what happened to Native Americans here in US when Europeans arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness