Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 03:51 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Beef View Post

None the less at what point will you take an otc pain med? Any little twinge?

When I hurt.

If you wait, it takes a while to kick in and pain gets worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 03:57 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
I am typically one who waits until I'm out of commission with pain before I take an Aleve....I sit there and say "am I in enough pain to take something"...I'm in my 40s and have been a strength athlete my whole life...I am now dealing with foot and knee pain primarily that gets kicked off by my training and also think I've been dealing with gout(have a phobia with docs so nothing confirmed)

I wait till the last possible second and do not take Aleeve or Advil - but Tylenol (less damaging). And I only take one.

But on another note, I don't know if you know this, but gout can be treated at home very successfully via diet.

If you are suffering, make sure you're properly hydrated with pure, filtered water, and then purchase some tart cherry juice.

Look up high purine foods and avoid them (like turkey and other meats, beer, etc., etc.).

Eat a low purine diet until your symptoms go away and then be aware of what caused your gout and avoid those foods in the future.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:40 PM

110 posts, read 92,334 times
Thank you all...I actually have not found a correlation with food and gout believe it or not. It seems to get kicked off with my training/certain exercises and movements. At this point there is probably a lot of combination of wear and tear in the gout areas etc...

Old 06-16-2023, 04:45 PM

595 posts, read 264,188 times
Quote:
I am typically one who waits until I'm out of commission with pain before I take an Aleve....I sit there and say "am I in enough pain to take something"...I'm in my 40s and have been a strength athlete my whole life...I am now dealing with foot and knee pain primarily that gets kicked off by my training and also think I've been dealing with gout(have a phobia with docs so nothing confirmed)

Oh, my back is long past OTC. When my pain hits a 4 on the pain scale, I go right for the meloxicam and gabapentin because I know if I don't stop it there, it can ratchet up to 7 and the next thing you know I won't be able to walk. The only time I take an OTC pain reliever now is if I have a headache, earrache, sore throat, or sore knee AND my back isn't bothering me and I'm not already taking a prescription medication.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:53 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Thank you all...I actually have not found a correlation with food and gout believe it or not. It seems to get kicked off with my training/certain exercises and movements. At this point there is probably a lot of combination of wear and tear in the gout areas etc...
Well, gout is actually a form of arthritis. Maybe gout isn't what's going on at all but run-or-the-mill osteoarthritis, explaining why there's no dietary correlation. Has a doctor ever diagnosed you with hyperuricemia? Testing for that might clarify.

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-c.../hyperuricemia

Old 06-16-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear your diet.

A high protein diet can cause gout.

It's 100% diet related.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, gout is actually a form of arthritis. Maybe gout isn't what's going on at all but run-or-the-mill osteoarthritis, explaining why there's no dietary correlation. Has a doctor ever diagnosed you with hyperuricemia? Testing for that might clarify.

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-c.../hyperuricemia
It's still diet triggered.

The "arthritis" is crystalline deposits in the blood.

I studied it many years ago, after a bad episode and was able to educate my doctor, who thanked me.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:01 PM

110 posts, read 92,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I'd be interested to hear your diet.

A high protein diet can cause gout.

It's 100% diet related.

I'm just telling you how it's been for me. I can eat sushi, steak, for days an days and be fine...then one day I decide to do an explosive movement and then the symptoms of gout start to appear in my feet or knees. It is not 100 percent for me diet but very much exercise related. I'm not your run of the mill gym goer but a strength athlete who lifts heavy.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I'm just telling you how it's been for me. I can eat sushi, steak, for days an days and be fine...then one day I decide to do an explosive movement and then the symptoms of gout start to appear in my feet or knees. It is not 100 percent for me diet but very much exercise related. I'm not your run of the mill gym goer but a strength athlete who lifts heavy.
That's why I made the comment about protein, because many athletes eat and supplement protein and it can be too much - especially if you're sweating.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:51 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
My pain is a signal to me that something is wrong, so with that in mind, I have a concern that too much pain relief when I want to be active may cause me to overwork areas that hurt and possibly cause extra damage. I don't want to mask a signal that some area of my body needs rest. If I can find alternatives to drugs I use them.

That would be changes in the way I do things like learning how to pick up heavy things, giving up behavior that produces problems, lifestyle changes.

That has been my nearly lifelong approach to the normal aches and pains of an active life. But in my seventh decade with the wear and tear of age and new diagnoses I am moving into a different phase and will have to make some adjustments to my approach to pain.

The only time my OTC use was different was when I was on vacation. Then I took an Alleve first thing in the morning so I could enjoy the different activities I may be doing.

Then my pharmacist mentioned to me that Alleve was a poor choice with other medication I took so I stopped that. It worked so much better for me than other things.

I have an appointment in the Fall with my neurologist and will talk to him about moving into Plan B. Acupuncture? Chiropractics?

I'm not willing to use mood-altering medication until it appears there are no other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness