Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2023, 09:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year my PCP worked on me to convince me I should start with Wegovy to lose weight brought on by prednisone. Each month of injections costs $1,200. After three months of this and not having lost an ounce despite cutting back on food, I started feeling sick and told my doctor I wasn't going to continue with the weekly injections. To be honest, I just couldn't afford it either.

Here's the kicker: I had been on Lexapro for more than a year but my antidepressant stopped working when I started Wegovy. It still doesn't work and it's been four months.

My spouse is hugely annoyed with this. He believes I should be on medication that makes me upbeat and carefree because that makes his life easier. When Lexapro was working, he fed off my high spirits. I was always suggesting things we should do or go see. The man who never smiled -- seriously, never smiled for nearly 20 years -- even cracked a grin occasionally.

I've checked drug interaction lists. Lexapro/escitalopram doesn't appear on the list.

Ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 10:11 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Earlier this year my PCP worked on me to convince me I should start with Wegovy to lose weight brought on by prednisone. Each month of injections costs $1,200. After three months of this and not having lost an ounce despite cutting back on food, I started feeling sick and told my doctor I wasn't going to continue with the weekly injections. To be honest, I just couldn't afford it either.

Here's the kicker: I had been on Lexapro for more than a year but my antidepressant stopped working when I started Wegovy. It still doesn't work and it's been four months.

My spouse is hugely annoyed with this. He believes I should be on medication that makes me upbeat and carefree because that makes his life easier. When Lexapro was working, he fed off my high spirits. I was always suggesting things we should do or go see. The man who never smiled -- seriously, never smiled for nearly 20 years -- even cracked a grin occasionally.

I've checked drug interaction lists. Lexapro/escitalopram doesn't appear on the list.

Ideas? Thanks.
Both semaglutides and ssris interfere with blood glucose metabolism, and can lead to hypoglycemia. This is not your problem though, you're just finding the ssri to not be working? Maybe stop taking it then, and allowing it to clear out of the system. SSRIs also cause weight gain (esp if used for over 1 year), so getting off it, you may see some weight reduction.

Talk to your doc about discontinuing that drug (lexapro), no one should be on a ssri for a long period of time, they're intended to be used for a short period of time to get you out of a rut so to speak.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:36 AM

3,425 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Both semaglutides and ssris interfere with blood glucose metabolism, and can lead to hypoglycemia. This is not your problem though, you're just finding the ssri to not be working? Maybe stop taking it then, and allowing it to clear out of the system. SSRIs also cause weight gain (esp if used for over 1 year), so getting off it, you may see some weight reduction.

Talk to your doc about discontinuing that drug (lexapro), no one should be on a ssri for a long period of time, they're intended to be used for a short period of time to get you out of a rut so to speak.
Anyone who has a chronic chemical imbalance in the brain - should not be taking advice from strangers on the internet about what they should or shouldn't do with their prescribed medications.

There are people who are chronically mentally ill. Without their meds, the symptoms of their illness become prevalent. People with chronic depression or bi-polar disorder rely on their meds to allow them to lead a normal life - or something close to a normal life. Without those meds, they can fall back into the depths of their depression, or lash out when their "manic" episodes kick up.

SSRIs can help even that out, and the treatment is "indefinite." It's not short-term. Chronic illness is not short-term illness. SSRIs are a treatment, not a cure.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:26 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Anyone who has a chronic chemical imbalance in the brain - should not be taking advice from strangers on the internet about what they should or shouldn't do with their prescribed medications.

There are people who are chronically mentally ill. Without their meds, the symptoms of their illness become prevalent. People with chronic depression or bi-polar disorder rely on their meds to allow them to lead a normal life - or something close to a normal life. Without those meds, they can fall back into the depths of their depression, or lash out when their "manic" episodes kick up.

SSRIs can help even that out, and the treatment is "indefinite." It's not short-term. Chronic illness is not short-term illness. SSRIs are a treatment, not a cure.
The “science” is moving away quite quickly from the theory that a chemical imbalance in the brain is the cause of depression.

Quote:
Our comprehensive review of the major strands of research on serotonin shows there is no convincing evidence that depression is associated with, or caused by, lower serotonin concentrations or activity. Most studies found no evidence of reduced serotonin activity in people with depression compared to people without, and methods to reduce serotonin availability using tryptophan depletion do not consistently lower mood in volunteers. High quality, well-powered genetic studies effectively exclude an association between genotypes related to the serotonin system and depression, including a proposed interaction with stress. Weak evidence from some studies of serotonin 5-HT1A receptors and levels of SERT points towards a possible association between increased serotonin activity and depression. However, these results are likely to be influenced by prior use of antidepressants and its effects on the serotonin system [30, 31].
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-022-01661-0

I did tell her to talk to her doc about getting off her SSRI. She should mention it’s no longer working and a side effect of long term SSRI use is weight gain - which bizarrely her doc wants to treat with another drug.

Studies show 150 minutes of cardio per week are more effective than SSRIs for managing depression and don’t have all the side effects like weight gain - in fact help maintain weight. Anyways she should confide in her doctor and see if he thinks it’s wise to continue on this Rx . Many docs will prescribe and be so absent minded to review if the Rx is still needed so the patient needs to be their own advocate

Old 08-05-2023, 11:48 AM

3,425 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
The “science” is moving away quite quickly from the theory that a chemical imbalance in the brain is the cause of depression.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-022-01661-0

I did tell her to talk to her doc about getting off her SSRI. She should mention it’s no longer working and a side effect of long term SSRI use is weight gain - which bizarrely her doc wants to treat with another drug.

Studies show 150 minutes of cardio per week are more effective than SSRIs for managing depression and don’t have all the side effects like weight gain - in fact help maintain weight. Anyways she should confide in her doctor and see if he thinks it’s wise to continue on this Rx . Many docs will prescribe and be so absent minded to review if the Rx is still needed so the patient needs to be their own advocate
Nowhere in my post did I state that "a chemical imbalance in the brain is the cause of depression. I wouldn't ever say that, because most people know that isn't true. Depression doesn't have a singular cause.

But for people who do - then there are treatments to help. SSRIs are one tool in the box.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:24 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Ideas? Thanks.
Fluffy, I'm sorry you are going through this. I would consider trying Wellbutrin, it really perks me up and makes me more upbeat. Without it I am not at all social.

As for the weight loss, my docotor put me on Phentermine/Topiramate and I lost 12 pounds and kept it off when I stopped taking it. much cheaper than Wegovy!

Old 08-06-2023, 02:44 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Years ago a doctor put me on Lexapro. I woke up when I was steam ironing my left hand.
For the last three months SO and I cut out nibbles. I still have my 3-4 glasses of wine, something sweet, three full meals. Two sizes so far and two more to go and getting there.
We discussed everything with our PA who is a down to earth young lady. She advised against surgery based on her experience. She offered to work with shots and really advised about side effects.
A lot going on right now and work outs are not on the horizon.
Your solution may be moving back to California. I am not trying to be snarky. Environment is a big thing.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:30 PM

18,046 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I take a different GLP drug (Mounjaro) and have been on it just over a year now. My doctor first mentioned Ozempic to me earlier in 2022, gave me an Rx for it, and I wouldn't fill it.

I eventually decided to try Mounjaro as I needed the glucose improvements for my Type II Diabetes, otherwise I doubt I would have been willing to go down this path. Candidly, there have been some weeks I didn't feel well, and nausea emerged a few times after several months on the med. I eventually moved back down to a lower dose and that's helped. Glucose control and other bloodwork has been great, and for that I'm thankful.

As for GLP interaction with other drugs, like anti-depressants, I'm not sure, but in general the gastric emptying slowdown caused by these GLPs can interrupt the efficacy of other meds, so it's an experiment to see what works and what doesn't.

There are many people who discontinue using GLP meds due to side effects or other issues, and yes, these drugs are incredibly expensive, out-of-pocket.

Hopefully, once the Wegovy is fully out of your system, you'll start to feel better.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:14 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hopefully, once the Wegovy is fully out of your system, you'll start to feel better.
You're absolutely right.

Over the last several days I have been feeling much better...smiling, laughing, teasing my spouse. I think the Wegovy is gone for good.

Our clinic is going to set me up with an endocrinologist, which isn't cheap either but it's not $1,200 a month.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness