Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 05:35 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Dr. Hannibal Lecter's Face Transplant Clinic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 09:56 AM

22 posts, read 15,105 times
What is someone supposed to do when they have ugly skin due to chronic skin conditions and they cannot be successfully treated and it just keeps getting worse? I have already the 2 best dermatologists in my area and it has not been 100% successfully treated or even close to it. Just continue being ugly? Today I made an appointment with a different doctor then they told me after 30 minutes of waiting there that I cannot see this doctor because it's a female doctor. So female dermatologists are not allowed to see male's butts even though it's their job to treat skin conditions? So they can only see female patients? They made me see the same idiot I saw in the past, and as usual, he did NOTHING to successfully treat it. It's like I am paying a clown. It's like paying to go to a circus or something. Why did he even go to college? Why do dermatologists go to college for many years and become professionals when they can't even treat skin conditions? Then people have the nerve to ask me why I don't have a girlfriend when my majority of my skin has bumps, rashes, scars, etc...

Old 09-11-2023, 03:06 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulczyk View Post
What is someone supposed to do when they have ugly skin due to chronic skin conditions and they cannot be successfully treated and it just keeps getting worse? I have already the 2 best dermatologists in my area and it has not been 100% successfully treated or even close to it. Just continue being ugly? Today I made an appointment with a different doctor then they told me after 30 minutes of waiting there that I cannot see this doctor because it's a female doctor. So female dermatologists are not allowed to see male's butts even though it's their job to treat skin conditions? So they can only see female patients? They made me see the same idiot I saw in the past, and as usual, he did NOTHING to successfully treat it. It's like I am paying a clown. It's like paying to go to a circus or something. Why did he even go to college? Why do dermatologists go to college for many years and become professionals when they can't even treat skin conditions? Then people have the nerve to ask me why I don't have a girlfriend when my majority of my skin has bumps, rashes, scars, etc...
Depending on the underlying cause for your skin condition (autoimmune disorder? Systemic disorder? Nutritional disorder?), chances are a skin transplant wouldn't solve the problem. The body underneath is the problem, not its covering. The condition happens to manifest itself on the skin.

As for not seeing the doctor you wanted, a private practice is a business. They can choose their customers. A female doc might choose not to see male patients or vice versa. It would have been considerate of the office to inform you of that before you waited so long.

As for not being able to treat your condition, surely you realize that medicine does not have cures for every known illness. Sucks of course, but it's reality.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-11-2023 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Depending on the underlying cause for your skin condition (autoimmune disorder? Systemic disorder? Nutritional disorder?), chances are a skin transplant wouldn't solve the problem. The body underneath is the problem, not its covering. The condition happens to manifest itself on the skin.

As for not seeing the doctor you wanted, a private practice is a business. They can choose their customers. A female doc might choose not to see male patients or vice versa. It would have been considerate of the office to inform you of that before you waited so long.

As for not being able to treat your condition, surely you realize that medicine does not have cures for every known illness. Sucks of course, but it's reality.
I won't have any of this with artificial skin because it's not real skin. And the problem is that this dermatologist has been focused on the itching for years now. I told him I only care about how it looks and that I already tried all of the stupid itching creams he prescribed me. One of them made me sick. The best one helps a little but causes damage to the skin like wrinkles and makes stretch marks worse. The last one causes shingles. The pills don't work. So now I have to live with how ugly my skin looks for the rest of my life. This is depressing. They should use me in a horror movie. That's how ugly my skin is. While other people can go to the beach and pools with their shirts off I am stuck in my room depressed hiding my skin.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:39 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
I would try to identify what's causing your skin problems and see if it's something you can treat yourself. It might be an allergy or sensitivity to a food or something else you're exposed to. You could try a process of elimination and see if anything changes.

I had terrible facial acne as a teen and into my 20s, it destroyed my self esteem. My skin was so oily people thought I was constantly sweating. I tried all the usual topical remedies including a couple prescription ointments but they made my skin worse, red and irritated. Around age 25 I finally omitted all dairy products from my diet and within a year or so my skin was "normal". Still slightly oily, but tolerable, and the acne cleared up.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
I don't think you understand artificial or synthetic skin. Those are dressings to cover missing or severely damaged skin so it can repair itself. Only in dire circumstances will a competent qualified doctor remove your own skin and try to permanently replace it with artificial skin. It's not a cover that goes over skin that is itchy or ugly. Additionally, because of the short supply of donor cartilage and cells for artificial skin, they are very selective when, why and who gets it.

Synthetic skin isn't a meaningful option due to the extreme limited availability.

What you may be able to do is discuss if a skin graft is a viable option. This is the doctors removing a section of the problem skin and replace it with a section of skin removed from another area of your own body. But depending on the size of the area to be treated with a graft, your own body may not have enough harvestable skin. If that's the case, the options are allograft or a xenograft which you already said is disgusting and you wont do that. So you may just have to get use to your skin unless willing to embrace Cadaver Carl or Mr. Hambones as your new BFF.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I don't think you understand artificial or synthetic skin. Those are dressings to cover missing or severely damaged skin so it can repair itself. Only in dire circumstances will a competent qualified doctor remove your own skin and try to permanently replace it with artificial skin. It's not a cover that goes over skin that is itchy or ugly. Additionally, because of the short supply of donor cartilage and cells for artificial skin, they are very selective when, why and who gets it.

Synthetic skin isn't a meaningful option due to the extreme limited availability.

What you may be able to do is discuss if a skin graft is a viable option. This is the doctors removing a section of the problem skin and replace it with a section of skin removed from another area of your own body. But depending on the size of the area to be treated with a graft, your own body may not have enough harvestable skin. If that's the case, the options are allograft or a xenograft which you already said is disgusting and you wont do that. So you may just have to get use to your skin unless willing to embrace Cadaver Carl or Mr. Hambones as your new BFF.
So my dermatologists said the ice pick acne scars on my freaking face especially my nose are too deep that not even lasers will work and only plastic surgery. I never went to a plastic surgeon because that's just too expensive. How will they even fix the problem? Cover my face with fake skin on my nose? This means they have to remove the old skin? I don't get it.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:25 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulczyk View Post
So my dermatologists said the ice pick acne scars on my freaking face especially my nose are too deep that not even lasers will work and only plastic surgery. I never went to a plastic surgeon because that's just too expensive. How will they even fix the problem? Cover my face with fake skin on my nose? This means they have to remove the old skin? I don't get it.
Several members here have already tried to explain how current medicine's limited options might or might not improve your situation. You don't seem to like those explanations. You say you won't or can't consider the options brought up. Unfortunately, a complete "fix" for your problem may not exist yet and for that I certainly sympathize. I'm sure you're angry about it but lashing out at everyone or insulting people in a rage isn't going to help anything. Not sure what else to tell you OP.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Several members here have already tried to explain how current medicine's limited options might or might not improve your situation. You don't seem to like those explanations. You say you won't or can't consider the options brought up. Unfortunately, a complete "fix" for your problem may not exist yet and for that I certainly sympathize. I'm sure you're angry about it but lashing out at everyone or insulting people in a rage isn't going to help anything. Not sure what else to tell you OP.
What options? The question about the skin transplant was hypothetical. No doctor will perform surgery for someone just because they have ugly skin due to rashes, bumps, scars, etc... I already tried the prescribed creams. One of them made me sick. I thought it was just a coincidence then I stopped and tried it again and I got sick again. The best one caused the stretch marks on my freaking butt to look noticably a lot worse so I stopped it. The other one causes shingles. I tried pills which didn't work. All of this crap was just to stop the itching and not treat how it looks. The longest amount of time I lasted without scratching was last year or the year before that for 3 months which the dermatologist said to do. And I did it. But he said the rash would go away and the bumps etc... and they didn't. It remains ugly. This year I lasted a month. It's not very motivating doing all of that hard work of not scratching when the skin will continue to look ugly, especially when one of the prescribed creams made it even uglier. So now I have to accept I have ugly skin and the fact it won't get better and can only get worse.

Ordinary people can scratch and nothing happens. I can scratch and small bumps easily appear and stay there and turn into a rash which then turns into a dark scar that never goes away. I don't even have the luxury to scratch my own freaking skin when it itches, but I eventually do. The longest I have lasted recently is 1 day. How the hell am I supposed to last for the rest of my life without scratching when my skin itches? It's impossible. It's unrealistic. Now I am just waiting to die and be reincarnated and have new clear skin. And no I am not suicidal. I should at least try to benefit from having ugly skin like in a horror movie or something. But even that is unrealistic.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:22 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
We are not dermatologists, this is not a medical forum. We don't diagnose or cure.
Can't help you, sorry ...

If you have ugly skin - try to be nice, helpful, caring, genuine, trustful, loyal, ambitious, positive and lovable to compensate it. Most people will prefer that to a beautiful skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness