Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 11:03 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Absolutely agree with this. About 4 years ago, I had a herniated disc at L5S1 and my MRI showed some degeneration at a couple of other levels as well (not uncommon in those of us over 40). The very first thing I tried was PT, where the Therapist told me my core muscles were surprisingly weak considering I worked out 5 days a week (and still do). So I added core strengthening to my regimen. Unfortunately, PT and epidural steroid injections were not successful, and after 8 months, I had surgery, which instantly gave me relief. However, I continue to do all the core exercise for the reasons Ghaati mentioned above.

There are lots of good exercises you can do that will not strain your lower spine. Google some of these and check out You Tube videos.

1. Planks
2. Side planks (for the oblique muscles)
3. Scissor kicks
4. Bird dog
5. Dead bug
6. Clamshells (for hip abductors)
7. Lateral squat walks (hip abductors)
8. Bridges (for glutes)
9. Hamstring rolls using a ball
10. Squats (assisted by a ball against the wall)

Like you, I also took 300 mg of gabapentin at night and it did help take the edge off. On particularly bad days, I would also take one in the morning, but usually I kept it to only the 300 mg daily. You will hear a lot of people say that gabapentin had lots of side effects for them, such as brain fog etc, but keep in mind that many people are taking significantly more than 300 mg daily. For me, with such a small daily dose, I experienced no side effects at all.
Russian twists as well, with a LOW weight dumbbell or kettleball (5 pounds or less).

Just FYI - I've had degenerative disk disease since I was around 30, one of many results of a horrible car accident that broke several bones in my body. I'm 62 now, and can still belly-dance and do The Twist. I attribute it partly to my natural flexibility, in combination with core muscle strengthening. You don't need a 6-pack - this isn't for looks. It's for mobility. If you have the muscle control where you can set a quarter down on your belly while laying down on your back, and use your muscles to make it bounce, then you're demonstrating that muscle control.

That's actually why belly dancing is such an awesome exercise. It teaches you how to control each muscle individually. And that's what you need to keep yourself upright when your back is failing to do its job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 01:01 PM

2,720 posts, read 2,222,520 times
Funny that you bring up brain fog. This is how I described it when I had a really bad night sleep before getting the gabapentin.

Old 01-23-2024, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 324 times
When you visit your doctor, discuss how your back pain and sciatic nerve issues have evolved since your last check-up. Medical advancements over the past 20 years, including pain management techniques, physical therapy, and possibly surgical options, may offer new solutions for your condition. Be detailed about how the pain affects your daily life, like the trouble with simple tasks. This information will help your doctor tailor a treatment plan that could include a combination of medication, physical therapy, or newer, less invasive surgical techniques, depending on the severity and specifics of your condition. Remember, effective communication about your pain and its impact on your life is key to finding the right treatment.

Old 01-23-2024, 12:31 AM

7,630 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Great comments! I went to a new back ortho to ask for physical therapy because I will not consider elective surgery. That was good because my MD stated, after the MRI, it is inoperable anyways. Instead of focusing on the back PT I had to first finish PT for a broken kneecap. I need to work on the back PT this year.

I appreciate the comments here.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:39 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,192,542 times
One thing I will also add, since Ghaati and myself offered several examples of exercises you can do, is what you should do your best to avoid if you have lower back problems.

Generally, you want to avoid exercise that is too high impact and also avoid significant twisting or torsion. You can modify a lot of exercises to avoid jarring impact to your lower back. You also want to generally avoid sports like golf or tennis that involve a lot of twisting.

For cardio, avoid jogging and high impact aerobics. Replace with walking on a treadmill at a brisk pace at an incline or elliptical machine. Or a seated bike. Or ideally for all your joints, swimming.

You can replace standard jumping jacks with just step outs (and still raising your arms), seal jacks etc. You can replace running in place with high leg lifts.

I often exercise at home and watch a lot of videos. I have modifications for many of the higher impact cardio exercises they do, and the instructors themselves often recommend modifications in the videos.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:40 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
That's actually why belly dancing is such an awesome exercise. It teaches you how to control each muscle individually. And that's what you need to keep yourself upright when your back is failing to do its job.
Hey, I am a belly dancer as well! I am now 74, and mentioned previously about my degenerative discs, arthritis and broken patella, but am still at it on the belly dancing. It is great for isolating and strengthening different muscles, and also helps posture.

I also ride a stationary recumbent bike daily which has also been strengthening my core, and daily do air squats and "sit-stands" (where you sit and stand from a chair not using hands) I do these in sets. I also do "pushups" but not regular ones, I can't do those; I do them at a table at a slant.

It is important (as others have mentioned) not to do any high impact exercises. When dancing, instead of a hop I will do a heel lift. Instead of running, I do fast walking. You get the picture. We must keep our bones and muscles strong.

I also believe it is good to stretch a lot. I admit I fall short in this area but try to do stretches when I think of it.

One last thing, taking magnesium helps a lot, too. In addition to supplements, I use magnesium "oil" which can be sprayed on and rubbed into your muscles.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
I had 3 epidural steroid injections about 15 years ago because I was in awful pain and had foot drop. The third injection worked well for several years, then early this year it came back & I was in so much pain I could barely stand up. The Doctor wanted me to go to physical therapy and I refused, I hurt so bad I could barely drive to physical therapy and I had been to more than one in the past and didn't get any relief. So, I take 600 mg of Ibuprofen in the morning and use Voltaren twice a day. It still hurts but the Voltaren really helps. But you can't just try it once and quit using it - the longer you use it the better it works. It's OTC and a gel or cream you rub on the painful areas. I also use it on my knees. PS I will never have another steroid injection without an anesthetic, it hurt so bad it felt like someone was pouring molten lead from the place he injected it all the way to my ankle. One other thing I discovered, when my back hurts really bad I use a lidocane patch on it, it works pretty well

Last edited by 2sleepy; 01-25-2024 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-26-2024, 08:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,212,300 times
I agree with core strengthening exercise and you might try some yoga. Some physical therapies have helped me POST SURGERY.

I had problems L5-S1 and ended up having surgery. They did a laminectomy and discectomy. This was back in 2005. And I've had very few problems since. Nothing like the pain before surgery. I wish I could have gotten it done sooner but all doctors have their procedures. And I would not hesitate to do it again if the option is presented.

I agree with the comment about not allowing fusion - it only puts more stress on the spine above and below the fused area.

Many posters have given you good advice, and obviously keep talking to your doctors (have you seen a neurosurgeon?). But surgery is NOT as bad as some make it out to be. Be knowledgeable about it. My mother has had this problem for decades and never did anything. She is now in her early 70's and can't walk. The constant nerve pressure WILL permanently damage your nerves and you will never get rid of that pain. In the end, how you deal with it is a decision you need to reach with your doctor and your own judgement.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:34 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hey, I am a belly dancer as well! I am now 74, and mentioned previously about my degenerative discs, arthritis and broken patella, but am still at it on the belly dancing. It is great for isolating and strengthening different muscles, and also helps posture.

I also ride a stationary recumbent bike daily which has also been strengthening my core, and daily do air squats and "sit-stands" (where you sit and stand from a chair not using hands) I do these in sets. I also do "pushups" but not regular ones, I can't do those; I do them at a table at a slant.

It is important (as others have mentioned) not to do any high impact exercises. When dancing, instead of a hop I will do a heel lift. Instead of running, I do fast walking. You get the picture. We must keep our bones and muscles strong.

I also believe it is good to stretch a lot. I admit I fall short in this area but try to do stretches when I think of it.

One last thing, taking magnesium helps a lot, too. In addition to supplements, I use magnesium "oil" which can be sprayed on and rubbed into your muscles.
No magnesium for me. Supplementing gives me the runs. My body gets all I need from whatever I'm eating.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:00 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,110,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Great comments! I went to a new back ortho to ask for physical therapy because I will not consider elective surgery. That was good because my MD stated, after the MRI, it is inoperable anyways. Instead of focusing on the back PT I had to first finish PT for a broken kneecap. I need to work on the back PT this year.

I appreciate the comments here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I want to see the Wile E Coyote belly dancing video. . . LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness