Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 09:08 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times

Advertisements

I will be going to my doctor next week to see if there is any new treatments for this? I fell of a roof in 1995 and at my last visit about this was 20 years ago. At that time I was told when I can't walk they would do something. A recent MRI for another issue had this statement about this. What type of treatment (if any) can I expect for this? It has got to the point that my back hurts all the time along with sciatic nerve issues to my leg. Simple things like trimming my beard kills my back.

"Bony demineralization with degenerative changes in the spine, most severe at L5-S1".

Last edited by reubenray; 10-07-2023 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 10:47 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,632 times
I too have degenerative discs along with scoliosis in the lumbar area. Visits to doctors starting 16 years ago haven’t helped. If there is any new and effective treatment, I haven’t heard about it. Sometimes I get the radio frequency zap to the nerves causing pain. L-4 is one that causes problems and twice they managed to help, but it returns after a few months. Back itself always hurts.

I’d love to hear about something new.

Old 10-07-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I too have degenerative discs along with scoliosis in the lumbar area. Visits to doctors starting 16 years ago haven’t helped. If there is any new and effective treatment, I haven’t heard about it. Sometimes I get the radio frequency zap to the nerves causing pain. L-4 is one that causes problems and twice they managed to help, but it returns after a few months. Back itself always hurts.

I’d love to hear about something new.
Ugh!!

I was hoping for some type of shot or something. I have taken Tylenol or Ibuprofen for years, but they don't help anymore. I wake up a lot nights with my leg hurting. When I hurt my back I refused to take any strong/additive drugs and I won't now either.

Old 10-07-2023, 02:33 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I will be going to my doctor next week to see if there is any new treatments for this? I fell of a roof in 1995 and at my last visit about this was 20 years ago. At that time I was told when I can't walk they would do something. A recent MRI for another issue had this statement about this. What type of treatment (if any) can I expect for this? It has got to the point that my back hurts all the time along with sciatic nerve issues to my leg. Simple things like trimming my beard kills my back.

"Bony demineralization with degenerative changes in the spine, most severe at L5-S1".
I've had numerous surgeries from arthritis. Actually around 50 surgeries to be accurate, and all of the pain I had prior to the surgeries are gone, with no problems. I don't understand why people are so afraid of surgery, especially when it's the main solution for so many pain issues. Thinking about surgery is worse than the actual procedure. I had 5 back surgeries and two neck surgeries, with NO issues. The trick is to find a great surgeon and a equally good hospital. I had mine at Johns Hopkins. I have another surgery coming up in 9 days. It will be another surgery to fix a serious issue and I can't wait to have the procedure done.

Shots don't work after a certain point. I used to live in Boulder, CO and went to a place where a lot of olympic athletes went and the director said to me that if you have a steroid shot that lasts less than a day you need surgery, conversely when you have a shot that lasts days you don't need surgery.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:18 PM

I would think they would try a shot prior to any options of surgery. I had a steroid shot in my arthritic shoulder and helped for a few weeks. I need something that will allow me to sleep at night. The lack of sleep is affecting my mind sometimes. Most of the time I only get about 6 hours of sleep and if I wake up around 3 AM I just get up.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:47 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
I'm fused L5S1 since 2001, worst mistake ever. It didn't fuse all the way so big surgery in 2006 for rods and screws that throb. Now my disks over L5S1 are going bad.

Backs are made to flex, not be fused straight.

Look up artificial disk replacement Germany. Their product is superior to what we have in the US.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:50 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm fused L5S1 since 2001, worst mistake ever. It didn't fuse all the way so big surgery in 2006 for rods and screws that throb. Now my disks over L5S1 are going bad.

Backs are made to flex, not be fused straight.

Look up artificial disk replacement Germany. Their product is superior to what we have in the US.
I too have degenerative disc issues, along with scoliosis, stenosis and more. I once attended a lecture from a prominent back surgeon who actually told us surgery should really be a LAST RESORT, because you really don't want your spine fused straight like that if at all possible. Surgery was for people who are really incapacitated.

So even with my issues, which were made worse by an accident last year where I broke my kneecap, at age 74 I am maintaining the best I can. Which means moving, stretching and a couple of glasses of wine at night (for medicinal purposes )

Sorry to hear of your troubles Roselvr, that sucks. I have heard of many who regretted their surgeries, there used to be someone on the Florida forum that had surgery and regretted it.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:50 AM

Update:

After seeing my doctor he agreed that not much could be done long term. He did say a shot may help, but it would be short term. My disks are bone on bone and arthritis is there also. I have been taking Trazadone since I fell off the roof back in 1995 to help me sleep. Due to the leg pain from the sciatic nerve it has not been working very good. My Doctor put me on Gabapentin (300mg) to take at bedtime. This has helped considerably to help with my sleep. I have been more energetic and I have even been getting on my threadmill four or five times a week. I even had my best sleep score (per Fitbit) of 90 where before it would only be around 70.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:47 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,398,938 times
#1 thing you need to do is strengthen your stomach muscles. If wearing a back brace, long-line girdle, or medical "boned" back support or even a full-length corset helps keep your bones from grinding against each other while you exercise, then wear it. Planks, squats, pushups, seated or incline leg lifts, scissor kicks. Do NOT do incline stomach crunches, that puts too much stress on your spine and neck. You can do reverse crunches by sitting at a table, holding the edge of the table, and lifting your knees up under it. Hold for a count of 5, and slowly lower your legs back down.

Your spine and the muscles of your lower torso are what allows you to sit upright. If your spine is failing, you need your muscles to make up for the loss. It's not foolproof but it will reduce the pain, because your stomach will take over doing at least some of the work that your spine normally has to do.

I have one disintegrated disk (L5S1) and the one above it is well on its way. Although I have a pretty significant layer of fat on my belly, the muscle beneath it is rock-hard. I rarely ever take even so much as a Tylenol for pain in my back anymore, because my body is strong enough to bear the weight of my upper body, using just my stomach muscles.

On days when you're not in pain, also try belly dancing. This will help keep you flexible.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:28 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
#1 thing you need to do is strengthen your stomach muscles.
Absolutely agree with this. About 4 years ago, I had a herniated disc at L5S1 and my MRI showed some degeneration at a couple of other levels as well (not uncommon in those of us over 40). The very first thing I tried was PT, where the Therapist told me my core muscles were surprisingly weak considering I worked out 5 days a week (and still do). So I added core strengthening to my regimen. Unfortunately, PT and epidural steroid injections were not successful, and after 8 months, I had surgery, which instantly gave me relief. However, I continue to do all the core exercise for the reasons Ghaati mentioned above.

There are lots of good exercises you can do that will not strain your lower spine. Google some of these and check out You Tube videos.

1. Planks
2. Side planks (for the oblique muscles)
3. Scissor kicks
4. Bird dog
5. Dead bug
6. Clamshells (for hip abductors)
7. Lateral squat walks (hip abductors)
8. Bridges (for glutes)
9. Hamstring rolls using a ball
10. Squats (assisted by a ball against the wall)

Like you, I also took 300 mg of gabapentin at night and it did help take the edge off. On particularly bad days, I would also take one in the morning, but usually I kept it to only the 300 mg daily. You will hear a lot of people say that gabapentin had lots of side effects for them, such as brain fog etc, but keep in mind that many people are taking significantly more than 300 mg daily. For me, with such a small daily dose, I experienced no side effects at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness