Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 05:45 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,432,484 times

Advertisements

MOST of the common diseases are caused mainly by lack of exercise. It seems like most over age 60 people I know are getting joints replaced, take drugs for cholesterol and high blood pressure. And so many middle aged and older are getting cancer.

But most people I know are not very concerned about getting enough exercise. Their doctors don't emphasize it. Now there is even a trend to devalue exercise by saying it won't help with weight loss. And if exercise won't make you lose weight, why bother, right?

Some MDs might briefly mention prevention, and might say a word or two about nutrition. But these things are definitely NOT emphasized in medical school, so teaching patients about exercise is not a priority. MDs believe in drugs and surgery as the way to good health.

Ask any oncologist, or anyone for that matter, why cancer is so common now. They will say cancer is an inevitable result of age, and we live longer now thanks to medical drugs and surgery. That is NOT true, first of all, cancer is mostly a disease of modern industrialized societies. And it convinces people to be unconcerned about their lifestyle. I doubt you will hear many MDs saying exercise will likely prevent you from getting cancer. No, they will say you can't prevent it but don't worry there are horrible treatments that might extend your life.

I think nutrition matters, but it's also true that your body can make up for not so great nutrition if you get enough exercise.

This Harvard professor studied primitive hunter gatherer people, to find out how we really evolved to live. He found they get a reasonable amount of exercise and sleep. They don't eat junk food, of course, but they will gorge on honey when they can find it. So the high intake of sugar might not be so terrible, as long as you walk about 10,000 steps each day. Doing more and more exercise does not benefit, he found. Even a little exercise helps greatly, a reasonable amount is ideal, and more than that won't add benefit.

Now, of course, we have to consider that people who are sick or disabled might not be capable of exercise, so could be some reverse causality in the data. But, he says, there is just so much data, and so much scientific information about how exercise prevents disease, we can be pretty confident that exercise really can save lives and maintain good health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRwf1HdNjk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 02:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,949,541 times
All my doctor's mention nutrition and exercise. While I am definitely on the pro-exercise team, a lot of those exercises and sports are directly related to joint replacement/problems.

I do not believe you can make up nutrition with exercise, or make up exercise with nutrition.

All that aside, a lot is just genetics. I know people who were in peak physical condition and died of a heart attack, and others who got cancer.

We just do what we can, to the best of our abilities.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2023, 02:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,516,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A While I am definitely on the pro-exercise team, a lot of those exercises and sports are directly related to joint replacement/problems.
Quote:
Mounting evidence suggests that that running does not cause osteoarthritis, or any other joint disease.

A study published in 2017 found that recreational runners had lower rates of hip and knee osteoarthritis (3.5%) compared with competitive runners (13.3%) and nonrunners (10.2%).
According to a 2018 study, the rate of hip or knee arthritis among 675 marathon runners was half the rate expected within the US population.
A 2022 analysis of 24 studies found no evidence of significant harm to the cartilage lining the knee joints on MRIs taken just after running.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...s-202304262930

Old 12-20-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
That's fine, but I'm sure I can pull up a bunch of studies saying different, and running is just one of hundreds of exercises/sports.

Like I said, I'm pro-exercise, and I think the benefits vastly outweigh potential problems.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
All my doctor's mention nutrition and exercise. While I am definitely on the pro-exercise team, a lot of those exercises and sports are directly related to joint replacement/problems.

I do not believe you can make up nutrition with exercise, or make up exercise with nutrition.

All that aside, a lot is just genetics. I know people who were in peak physical condition and died of a heart attack, and others who got cancer.

We just do what we can, to the best of our abilities.
Maybe all your doctors mention exercise and nutrition, that doesn't mean they know much about it.

And no, joint replacements are NOT mainly caused by doing moderate healthy exercise.

And yes, exercise does make up for less than perfect nutrition.

And SOME is genetics, but MOST is not. You know people in good condition who had heart disease and cancer. Well HOW MANY did you know? And how many people NOT in good condition get heart disease and cancer.

Exercise makes a tremendous difference in health, but MDs minimize it. They don't learn about it in medical school, many of them don't have time to keep up with research.

I know that MDs are telling patients health is mostly genetics. That makes patients feel they won't be healthy unless they take drugs.

Cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc., ALL increase dramatically when societies become industrialized. That would not be the case if these diseases were mostly genetic. They are NOT.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
That's fine, but I'm sure I can pull up a bunch of studies saying different, and running is just one of hundreds of exercises/sports.

Like I said, I'm pro-exercise, and I think the benefits vastly outweigh potential problems.
And you don't have to run to be healthy. Walking is just as good, and it does NOT cause any injuries.

The people I know who get knee replacements are overweight and probably never did exercise. Strong muscles protect the joints.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And you don't have to run to be healthy. Walking is just as good, and it does NOT cause any injuries.

The people I know who get knee replacements are overweight and probably never did exercise. Strong muscles protect the joints.
While walking is less likely to cause injuries it's also less likely to prevent osteoporosis from developing or increasing cardiovascular fitness, like running can.

Basically as a rule of thumb, what you call "exercise" needs to be more intense than what you do on a day in and day out basis.

Walking is still better than nothing, and if you walk enough can manage your weight and preserve mobility just fine.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

Walking is not enough exercise for me. That is just basically.... moving, bare minimum.

For me, a HR of around 165 on a consistent basis, starts to confer health benefits. Benefits that are verified by laboratory results. That in addition to weights, keeps all my numbers in the healthy range, and results in much more pleasing aesthetic.

When I mention that exercise can strain the joints, I am definitely not talking about walking. To me that is on par with claiming doing housework is exercise. Sure it may work for some, but not most.

It is unfortunate that you have had such bad experiences with doctors. I know that can come from what health insurance you have and even where you live.

I NEVER said joint replacements are mainly caused by moderate exercise.

I've never had a doc minimize the benefits of exercise. IF I had a doc who did, I would not return. But, to date, at 56, it has never happened. I've NEVER had a doc push pills over nutrition and exercise.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:05 PM

10,581 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Quote:

When I mention that exercise can strain the joints, I am definitely not talking about walking. To me that is on par with claiming doing housework is exercise. Sure it may work for some, but not most...
Exactly. Walking is moving, way better than sitting, but not exercise for most people unless it involves some significant elevation gain such as hiking up a mountain.

But speeding up the steep trails in SE Alaska at a fast walking pace doesn't quite raise my heart rate to the level of running. That's one interesting bit of info that my Fitbit has been good for.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:30 PM

I want to add if you find running too difficult on your joints, you can always do the air bike. If your only goal is to increase cardiovascular fitness, all you need is 1 minute of going all out once per week to see major improvements. Get your BPM above 180 (for younger people above 190) and you will see improvements in your V02 max.

Of course, most people also do cardio to manage their weight, so 1 minute going all out won't help with that. You can then proceed at a moderate pace (150-170 BPM) for the remaining hour.

In general, re joints, I try to switch up my cardio so the same joints don't get the same stress every single time. 1 week maybe running, another week can be bike, swimming is perfect if you know how to swim and have access to an ocean or olympic size swimming pool, rowing is also great, and elliptical as well. Just keep your heart rate in that 150-170 zone.

Hiking, even when I'm going up a mountain, I rarely see my heart rate climb above 130 BPM. And I hike fast. It can burn a lot of calories if you hike for the whole day (above 5 hours), but is not efficient if you just have 1-2 hours to spare. But I love hiking, great exercise and fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness