Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,564 times

Advertisements

For the past few years, I've noticed that my left knee tends to pop every now and then when I squat or when I get on my knees. And I can sometimes feel it when going up a flight of stairs.

I've never had a problem with it giving way but it has felt wobbly at times. Is it a possible ACL tear? My dad thought it was a simple sprain or something but I think it's more and I don't know what to do. I'm not an athlete but I've been wanting to start running but I don't want to do anything to aggravate it if this is possibly what it is.

and I don't have health insurance at all though I plan on getting insurance once i have a decent PT job because I'm in school now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
When my acl was torn, my knee cap would completely go off to the side and back again, not just pop. It was also unstable, it was very hard to balance on the one leg. I did physical therapy and then finally went to a surgeon, he did a test and then a MRI.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 PM

my kneecap has never done that, but it has popped before. I think the only time I can remember it being unstable was when I was squatting at the gym a few years ago.

Did you ever get surgery on it?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,499 times
It could be a lot of different things. Without an injury, odds are it is not an ACL tear. Could be something like patellar instability, a meniscus tear or simple arthritis (or any combination).

Ideally, x-rays and an MRI , along with a physical examination would clarify the situation. In our office, the patient usually has the choice of physical therapy and a brace, or surgery, depending on the circumstances.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
It could be a lot of different things. Without an injury, odds are it is not an ACL tear. Could be something like patellar instability, a meniscus tear or simple arthritis (or any combination).

Ideally, x-rays and an MRI , along with a physical examination would clarify the situation. In our office, the patient usually has the choice of physical therapy and a brace, or surgery, depending on the circumstances.
Agree with this..

Pretty hard to tear your ACL without knowing it.

Based on your description of symptoms most common cause would be some form of patellofemoral syndrome/patellar malalignment.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Sounds like a torn meniscus. The only way to know for sure is to get an MRI.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Well, only thing I can remember that may have caused is it either when I was lifting weights in hs I used to squat too much without proper form or when i tried to do some jogging while wearing boots.

how much does it cost for an MRI?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,036 times
Usually with a meniscus tear there will be swelling along the joint line. They can take a long time to heal, if ever. A doctor really can't repair it, they just go in and trim off an overhang that might be causing your joint to pop. MRI is expensive, if you can live with it, wait it out. Do some research on treatment, even with a ACL tear it is a matter of imobilizing long enough for the tear to heal, which can be 2-12 weeks depending on the level of tear. Some injuries just heal on thier own without the need for a doctor. I've had both. ymmv.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
Usually with a meniscus tear there will be swelling along the joint line. They can take a long time to heal, if ever. A doctor really can't repair it, they just go in and trim off an overhang that might be causing your joint to pop. MRI is expensive, if you can live with it, wait it out. Do some research on treatment, even with a ACL tear it is a matter of imobilizing long enough for the tear to heal, which can be 2-12 weeks depending on the level of tear. Some injuries just heal on thier own without the need for a doctor. I've had both. ymmv.
An ACL tear will not heal...not a complete tear anyway

A partial tear MAY heal....but a complete tear....not possible.

A meniscal tear will not heal either unless it occurs in the outer third where there is a blood supply...unfortunately most tears occur in the inner two thirds where healing does not take place....no bllood supply.

The original poster sounds young and does not relate any history of injury.

If he has developed knee pain without an injury it is HIGHLY unlikely that he has an ACL or meniscal injury.

Patellofemoral syndrome is much more likely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness